Morrissey and Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyJB

Refugee
Went to see Morrissey at his 50th birthday concert in Manchester so am very much in Smiths-fan mode at the moment! Just wondering if anyone has any stories, info regarding Morrissey and any connections to Bono/U2?

We all know Bono loves The Smiths but I remember hearing somewhere that Morrissey said Bono was 'really nice' - which I must admit I find very surprising, I kinda expected U2 to be a band not quite up Morrissey's street. Any pics of them together would be amazing! Thanks :wave:

Former THE SMITHS frontman MORRISSEY has launched a scathing attack on U2 rocker BONO -questioning his songwriting talents. The Irish group were recently hailed for creating Britain's best pop lyric, when the line, "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers," from song ONE, beat off competition from The Smiths' classic HOW SOON IS NOW?, which came second in the poll. But speaking at his Manchester, England, gig on Tuesday night (18APR06), a bemused Morrissey cast doubt on the result. He quipped, "I noticed in the newspapers that in a lyrical competition Bono did better than me. He's really nice, but really?"

I am so jealous you went to see him. That pompous diva bastard canceled my show in April. :grumpy:

But yeah, dont talk about U2 on a Morrissey forum... I dont know about Morrissey, but its really obvious that the fans hate U2. :sigh:

I don't think that was a bad attack of words by Morrissey on Bono, just a smart remark, I'm sure Moz appreciates Bono's lyrics,

The lyric that topped the poll was "Were One But Were Not The Same We Get To Carry Each Other" was it not?

Bono features in a Moz documentary (not sure the name of it) but he said he finds Moz's lyrics v funney and not depressing, he said he almost crashed his car from laughing when he heard Girlfriend In A Coma,

Morrissey presented an award to U2 at the Hotpress awards in 1998, he introduced them by saying "Its great to announce this goes to the very sexy U2", Bono done some embrassing licking praising him for his Johnny Thunders book, (Heres the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeFMlh6WlL0

Wow the Manchester show must have been amazing, Morrissey 50th!

for the record The Smiths/Morrissey and U2 are my 2 or 3 fav bands of all time,
I've never been able to seperate them, 2 of the finest song writers in the world! (and DYLAN!)

Wow that video is awesome. I can't actually believe I'd not heard about this sooner. Its unbelievable that Morrissey would actually turn up to an awards show, let alone act all mates with Bono. Does anyone reckon Morrissey maybe fancies him a tiny bit :lol: (joking of course).

I am so jealous you went to see him. That pompous diva bastard canceled my show in April. :grumpy:

Thats too bad. It was a great show, but word is that he's been having a lot of vocal trouble. He sounded great when I saw him but apparentely his voice cracked towards the end and he made some comment about 'nodules'. And then lo and behold, the next few gigs have also been cancelled. Hopefully you'll get to him later in October though??

I suppose not every 50-year-old singer can have such sustained vocal health as Bono appears to have. (fingers crossed for 360)

something about this video (off track sorry) is that I find that Bono does well when he ad libs his speeches. I'm comparing his awards speeches to speeches on tour that kinda often sounds rehearsed, familiar, awkward.

if ya know what I mean

I dig Morrissey. I've always liked The Smiths and his early solo stuff, and then, like a lot of people, I kind of went off him in the mid- to late- 90s. But he's really made his presence felt again, and now he's got quite a library of quality records behind him. You're the one for me, fatty!

It's interesting that Johnny Marr was about 4 or 5 years younger than Morrissey. I think when The Smiths made their last record, Marr was only about 23! Wonder if/when those two will write together again.

Any pics of them together would be amazing! Thanks :wave:

^ Besides that video I uploaded to you tube this is the best I got so far :wink:

WireNMEDubMixImage2.jpg

WireNMEDubMixImage1.jpg

I have this vinyl, it's pretty cool, but I haven't listened to it in years because I don't have a decent turntable any more. I have the u2 song in mp3 but not the Smiths song unfortunately.

^ That is one cool vinyl. I always thought NME were supposed to have hated U2 in the 80s? Or maybe it was only post Live Aid.

By the way if anyone does have that Smiths song in mp3 I'd love to get it. Likewise I'd be happy to pass along the Wire Dub Mix.

Yeah, you never here much mention of Morrissey and Bono in he same sentence. I know Edge was impressed with The Smiths when they started hitting it big in the mid-80s, but not much else.

Bono and Morrissey are completely different personalities, and I can't really imagine Morrissey being proper mates with any other big names in the music industry, just the kind of person MoZ is.

So yeah,to echo the first poster, any photos of the 2 greatest lyricists of all time together?

I love the Smiths, but other than Bona Drag and the song "Let Me Kiss You", I hate Morrissey's work. And I HATE him.

He has banned Canada from his touring schedule due to the seal hunt, which is essentially practiced by poor Canadians who live on the Atlantic coast and barely make ends meet and probably don't even listen to Morrissey's music. So, first he's punishing his fanbase.

More importantly, it's highly hypocritical of him to tour the US, which has waged war and continues to murder and coerce other people in the world; bombing Pakistan and Biden telling the Lebanese not to vote for Hezbollah, when the US was so eager to give Israel a blank check to murder over a thousand Lebanese come to mind. Oh, and it's not like Morrissey is banning America for its oil company executives who make millions unlike the impoverished seal hunters.

Oh, and to really drive home the hypocrisy, he's toured Israel.

He's also disgustingly pretentious and deluded as any interview of him will show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvkhPtqfAtQ

He destroyed the Smiths with his stubbornness and suppression of Marr's artistic freedom, not Marr. He also did something really dirty in getting the others to kick out the new guitarist they hired to replace Marr, when he had hired him; he didn't have the guts to do it himself.

Bastard. Burn in hell.

I don't think Bono's ever said anything mean about any celebrity. He gets off complimenting people too much. Heck, he says he's friends with ruthlessly selfish people like Bill Clinton and Oasis, for crying out loud.

Mudfield -- a question for you since you seem to hate everyone. :lol:

Do you actually like anyone?

You give this interview as an example of why you hate him so much. I'm curious...I just watched this entire interview and thought that he was in good humor throughout and didn't do anything at all that would warrant such a hateful response...so what exactly did he do or say in this interview that put you off so much?

Bigmouth Strikes Again

:wink:

Bahahaha.

Yeah, Morrissey is an ass... but he is so original, so different, and I LOVE his lyrics, just love them. Some of the funniest, strangest lyrics I've ever heard from anyone, ever.

I love the Smiths, but other than Bona Drag and the song "Let Me Kiss You", I hate Morrissey's work. And I HATE him.

He has banned Canada from his touring schedule due to the seal hunt, which is essentially practiced by poor Canadians who live on the Atlantic coast and barely make ends meet and probably don't even listen to Morrissey's music. So, first he's punishing his fanbase.

More importantly, it's highly hypocritical of him to tour the US, which has waged war and continues to murder and coerce other people in the world; bombing Pakistan and Biden telling the Lebanese not to vote for Hezbollah, when the US was so eager to give Israel a blank check to murder over a thousand Lebanese come to mind. Oh, and it's not like Morrissey is banning America for its oil company executives who make millions unlike the impoverished seal hunters.

Oh, and to really drive home the hypocrisy, he's toured Israel.

He's also disgustingly pretentious and deluded as any interview of him will show:
YouTube - Morrissey at Jonathan Ross Interview pt.1

He destroyed the Smiths with his stubbornness and suppression of Marr's artistic freedom, not Marr. He also did something really dirty in getting the others to kick out the new guitarist they hired to replace Marr, when he had hired him; he didn't have the guts to do it himself.

Bastard. Burn in hell.

... you don't even like Vauxhall and I?!

I seem to write this in ever Smiths related thread, but I can't recommend the book 'How Soon Is Never?' by Marc Spitz highly enough. It's an extremely entertaining "fictional take" on his real life attempt at getting The Smiths back together that any Smiths fan will likely have a blast reading.

The only thing I ever heard about the Smiths and U2 was when Morrisey said that The Smiths were more Irish than U2 as 7 of the Smith's parents were born in Ireland and only four of U2's were.
I love the Smiths and Morrisey by the way.

Morrissey is a better lyricist than Bono. In fact, Morrissey is the best English language lyricist of all time. But they come at lyrics from different perspectives, so that's cool.

Johnny Marr is a better guitar player than The Edge. Marr has chops like no other and some of the greatest "licks" of all time, but then again, so does the Edge.

:shifty:

Bastard. Burn in hell.

Aye, but at the end of the day, he's the greatest lyricist of all time, full of simultaneous hilarity and misery that strikes some profound chords with a lotta people......a joy to read and hear, and a terrific frontman too....

Maybe he's just more passionate about some issues than others, like he cares more about Canadian seals than Palestine-Israel. That's just the way people are.

I care more about ending acts of animal exploitation such as rodeo and horse racing more than I care about Israel-Palestine. Just the way it goes......I'm not even vegetarian, so maybe I am a hypocrite, but it's just the way it is.

Why does Bono care more about poverty, yet ignores climate change. A lot of folk don't like him for that reason but it's just his personal priority.

Back
Top Bottom