More from "THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE" live ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
Happy New Year everybody,

now with a lot of U2 fans here requesting for a bit more of 90ies and especially 'POP' in the current tour setlists (which is a good idea), I'd like to put an emphasis on an 80ies album too, too much neglected during the last decades: 'THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE'

When U2 looked back during the last two tours on their early days, fans got delivered "Out Of Control", "Stories For Boys" (snippet), "11 O' Clock Tick Tock", "I Will Follow", "An Cat Dubh", "Into The Heart", "The Ocean", "The Cry", "Gloria", "Party Girl", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "New Year's Day" and "40". Even with that happening of course not on every single night, that's what in summary I'd call a great extract from the 'BOY', "OCTOBER" and 'WAR' period. It was beautiful to capture some of these tunes live in full glory after decades – something I've never believed U2 would be doing again.

Now with going a bit more experimental again, I wish, the band won't do POPmart's concept failure of a too stable, too static setlist – with playing 'only' the obvious Greatest Hits from the 80ies, when thinking of a 'look back', with the stage concept overshadowing the music.
Regarding setlists, there is much more to discover, especially the masterpiece album 'THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE':

- "The Unforgettable Fire": The album's title track is one of U2's best ever tunes, full of musical and lyrical beauty. Unfortunately it hasn't been performed since the Lovetown days in '89/'90. Now, with Bono's new found faith in his voice, it would be astonishing live – giving the fact, that you could design brilliant show/screen effects around this heavy weight tune.

- "A Sort Of Homecoming": U2's vision of a better day, a better land, paradise, peace being connected with their homecountry should return to its musical splendour. A positive message, a dream for our world full of uncertainty and fear.

- "Bad": Though being played often in '01, it lost its at least regular spot in '05/'06. An old war-horse, an anthem, a live favourite, that should be inserted, at least from night to night – if the band feels up to it.

- "Pride": This tune has the worst fate of all TUF tunes, it got completely perfunctory. Musically it gets shorter and shorter or put to horrible medley-function (though so at least fine performed in '06), but has lost some of its force, of its freshness, its speed. Return to a, let's say, '86 version –or skip it.

- "MLK": An emotional prayer (wish I'd heard a '05 US-version), always welcome.

Welcome to 'THE UNFORGETTABL FIRE'? in '09/'10 Yes, please ...

Best wishes everyone ,

I think it`s just just:drool:if they would play more UF tracks on the next tour.
I don`t care what they play from it , it`s all greatness.
Except they shouldn`t play Pride:madspit:
That song is so worn out , like ISHFWILF and WOWY.

I`ve seen the track UF only once live , Amsterdam `89.
Bono voice was shot that night but it sounded amazing (music wise).

So I wish they would play , UF , ASOH , (more) Bad , Indian Summer Sky and Wire:drool: on the next tour

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Cheers to everyone!

I couldn't agree more with this thread. The soaring heights (even through destruction) the band takes us to on TUF and ASOH, to the frenetic drug laced Wire to the "coming down" of that addiction in Bad. This album solidified my life long love of this band. I would love the boys to rediscover how seminal their work was on this disc and present it to us again, by the way PLEASE drop Pride.

Would love to hear them play the song UF again just to see what Edge does with it. His guitar rig (effects etc...) is way more advanced now compared to when that song was last played. Would be awesome to hear what he'd do for the bridge section.

They need to treat us with Wire or Indian Summer Sky on the odd occassion.... if done properly they would be brilliant live and with Wire Bono could really showcase his rejuvenated voice!!

They need to treat us with Wire or Indian Summer Sky on the odd occassion.... if done properly they would be brilliant live and with Wire Bono could really showcase his rejuvenated voice!!

Not sure about Indian Summer Sky. A pretty weak song. They played it a few times during the UF tour and it sounded lame.

More TUF stuff would be incredible. I always thought that the title track was missing something when they played it live in the 80s; it would be really cool to see what they could do now.

And Bad should be played every night. Or at least at the concert(s) I go to on the new tour.

More TUF stuff would be incredible. I always thought that the title track was missing something when they played it live in the 80s; it would be really cool to see what they could do now.

And Bad should be played every night. Or at least at the concert(s) I go to on the new tour.

The Unforgettable Fire is a great song, one of my favourite U2 tracks ever, but the problem is the same with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, both songs were recorded with a large string/orchestral accompanyment and are very big expansive tunes and I think both of them just sounded too stripped down live to do them justice in my view.

I didn't think HMTMKMKM sounded that great on PopMart and listening to live versions of TUF from the Youtube clips, I think they would definitely need to incorporate more in the live show i.e. through sequencers, Edge's effects etc.

I think they choose songs for the setlist based on how they can interpret them live and do them justice. Bono has probably avoided songs like Wire and TUF due to problems with his vocals over the last 15 years or so, but now it could be a definite possibility or at least a better chance than any tour since Lovetown. Plus it links in with some of the TUF sound we have been reading about in the new album.

The Unforgettable Fire is a great song, one of my favourite U2 tracks ever, but the problem is the same with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, both songs were recorded with a large string/orchestral accompanyment and are very big expansive tunes and I think both of them just sounded too stripped down live to do them justice in my view.

I didn't think HMTMKMKM sounded that great on PopMart and listening to live versions of TUF from the Youtube clips, I think they would definitely need to incorporate more in the live show i.e. through sequencers, Edge's effects etc.

I think they choose songs for the setlist based on how they can interpret them live and do them justice. Bono has probably avoided songs like Wire and TUF due to problems with his vocals over the last 15 years or so, but now it could be a definite possibility or at least a better chance than any tour since Lovetown. Plus it links in with some of the TUF sound we have been reading about in the new album.

And the rumoured (let me emphasize rumoured) TUF remaster for next year.

Edit: Err... This year!

And the rumoured (let me emphasize rumoured) TUF remaster for next year.

Edit: Err... This year!

Yes, 25 years later: the remastered album plus a kind of setlist emphasis on TUF with dusting off tunes live like the title track or ASOH, what a celebration!

A Sort of Homecoming is in my top 10 favorite U2 songs. And I know that I'm far from alone among hardcore fans. Why does this song get no live love? It's absolutely brilliant in every respect.

A Sort of Homecoming is in my top 10 favorite U2 songs. And I know that I'm far from alone among hardcore fans. Why does this song get no live love? It's absolutely brilliant in every respect.
It gets live love – here, mate:applaud:

Agree with this thread, especially given the UF atmospherics we are supposedly getting on the next album. Doing alot of Boy on the last tour was great, hearing Gloria again the same.

UF is an album that is due to be given some consideration in setlists. I think it suffers from the fact that 2 of their biggest and best songs ever, Bad and Pride are on this album and they feel playing these satisfies the UF requirement.
Bad:play it as much as on Vertigo tour, though not every night, then it could become too much of a routine and lose the emotion.
Pride:I am one of the few here who loves it and says keep it and try and get it right live. Performances have been getting better. I do maintain my longtime request that they rotate this and other classics as opposed to play them every night, though.

When Bad, Pride or both are taking a night off, I think we all agree that, at a minimum, we should be getting: TUF, ASOH and Wire. I would also like the MLK/Unforgettable fire segue from 1980s performances to return.

Agree with this thread, especially given the UF atmospherics we are supposedly getting on the next album. Doing alot of Boy on the last tour was great, hearing Gloria again the same.

UF is an album that is due to be given some consideration in setlists. I think it suffers from the fact that 2 of their biggest and best songs ever, Bad and Pride are on this album and they feel playing these satisfies the UF requirement.
Bad:play it as much as on Vertigo tour, though not every night, then it could become too much of a routine and lose the emotion.
Pride:I am one of the few here who loves it and says keep it and try and get it right live. Performances have been getting better. I do maintain my longtime request that they rotate this and other classics as opposed to play them every night, though.

When Bad, Pride or both are taking a night off, I think we all agree that, at a minimum, we should be getting: TUF, ASOH and Wire. I would also like the MLK/Unforgettable fire segue from 1980s performances to return.

Great post. Although I really don't think Wire should be taking up setlist space. Maybe one of the others--ISS or Promenade.

Great post. Although I really don't think Wire should be taking up setlist space. Maybe one of the others--ISS or Promenade.

Completely disagree about Wire, would be a great upbeat tune to play. Promenade wouldn't be the right type of tune to play live, I just can't see it being an option, just like Grace and One Step Closer won't be played live.

Give me ASOH live and I will :combust:

Who knows how it would sound.....the live versions at a lot of the UF Tour shows were actually fairly weak compared to the album version. Bono wouldn't hit all the same notes or they'd tweak the great parts to be not so great...

But I want them to try anyway!

And I want to be there when they do. :love:

Thanks! I think wire is definitely the wild card of these, we will have to see how the new album sounds. I have just rediscovered promenade and especially, elvis p and america in my recent UF phase.

Hm, yes, apart from "Pride" & "Bad", kind of regular staples during the last decades, there's still discussion about "Wire" or "Indian Summer Sky" here. Though I'd love to hear them I fear, that these tunes will not make it up to the 'old' classics, the band always perefers to chose as 'Greatest Hits'. Two options should make it at least in the setlists, though:

- "MLK"-"The Unforgettable Fire": This classic couple should be braought out again (just like "October"-"New Year's Day", if U2 really want to play the classic WAR tune again ...). It would be interesting, what the band would do with TUF's title track, musically and regarding Bono's 'new' vocal capacity. With the song's roots being heavy political & still relevant, I'd also be curious, what screen animations might underline the song and enhance the atmosphere.

- "A Sort Of Homecoming" could be a real live re-discovery, too. After two not so perfect versions :)huh:) in Slane (obviously under-rehearsed) and in Oakland 2001 (a great fan interaction on the acoustic stage, but not a full band version), it should get the chance to shine again as a live staple. One of the best lyrics, Bono has written ever, and the music is simply timeless. And there will be great audience participation, I promise ...

i would love to hear anything from this album live.

what about doing small shows, where they play a whole album from start to end.

i lot of bands are doing this kind of show now.

^I don't see it happening, they could do it, like for members of official fanclub but they're not gonna do that. U2 is not that kind of band to do it.

Based on what Bono said in Q, that they're focusing on younger listeners this time, I'm afraid that it would also count for shows - that they wouldn't play some less known tunes from UF and instead do Pride again on every show so that the younger audience is not left dissapointed. But I'd exchange the whole show for just seeing them play The Unforgettable Fire live:drool:

I'm curious how TUF would be played live if it was on the setlist next tour. There's a lot of strings and other stuff going on in the song. On the Paris dvd, Edge covers that by using his ebow and shimmer.

We play the song ourselves with our tributeband, but it's a tough one to get right. Would be great to have it on the setlist.

As for Pride... It has been lowered and slowed down so much that it has turned into a complete disaster. Bring back the R&H version :)

I'm curious how TUF would be played live if it was on the setlist next tour. There's a lot of strings and other stuff going on in the song. On the Paris dvd, Edge covers that by using his ebow and shimmer.

We play the song ourselves with our tributeband, but it's a tough one to get right. Would be great to have it on the setlist.

:up:

As for Pride... It has been lowered and slowed down so much that it has turned into a complete disaster. Bring back the R&H version :)

. . . . or just leave it out altogether :wink: . . . would much rather hear The Unforgettable Fire, Bad ( I know, many of you are sick of it as well but have only seen it live twice . . . ) and A Sort of Homecoming :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom