Moment Of Surrender Single Edit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In terms of the vocals I think it's brilliant! One of Bono's best in a long time.

And the other parts all work for me too. It's one of U2's true "sum of all it's parts" songs when I hear it.

Thanks for all the reviews and criticisms. I didn't want to come off like I thought that I was improving the song, just approaching it from an angle of being the producer that wants to help them get back on the radio. Just a fun thing really.

Having said that I'm always so transfixed by the creative process and the influences around the creators. What we hear in finality goes thru so many sets of ears. One of the producers main jobs for a band with stated aims like U2's (ie rule the pop/rock world) would be to hear all the stuff they came up with, and out of that hear some material that could be a hit - and bring them around to it if they're way out in 8 minute territory. They probably have tons of studio material like that. Gavin Friday heard it with WOWY, when others didn't.

So while I hate the idea of removing a lyric that the band deemed worthy of inclusion, or an extended outtro solo that sends me off into another place, or an intro that is so interesting, in all that great stuff that spans 7+ minutes I hear a single. I understand that some might not want to imagine it as a single...maybe what this could have been was a single and 12" extended type of deal? Not even sure how much that happens anymore.

Anyways, I'm probably overexplaining myself. I absolutely love the album version, and loved it live even if I wish Edge's guitar was a bit higher in the mix like on the album. When I first heard it, I heard a hit if they reined it in a bit, I just couldn't get it out of my head.

NLOTH2 should have been the 1st radio single, lead up to a physical single with NLOTH1 as the album edit (b-side).

That would've been the best thing ever for me. :bow: Though it should've been track 12 on the album IMO. Cedars just ends too abrubtly, it would've been epic if then just the guitar of NLOTH2 swelled up, like a sea, and wham, you go out with a bang.
It would've made a great single.

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but i just don't understand the hype around MOS.

Vocal wise, it's without a doubt one of Bono's best, that can't be questioned. But the song itself, i dunno, it just doesn't have that spark the likes of WOWY, One etc had. The chorus is awful, and i seriously mean that. I remember listening to the song for the first time, and when it reached the chorus i almost cringed. It's just to cheesy for my liking and sounds like a Christmas carol. I don't particular like the organ type of thing going on in the background either, it just sound so flat and bland.

I personally don't think it would have worked as the first single either. A large majority of U2's younger audience, myself included, would have been putt off straight away, in my opinion. Summing things up though, MOS was always the one track i would skip when listening to NLOT, i just considered it, and still do, boring, long and just bland.

That's my opinion, which i doubt many will agree with, but hey, just thought I'd share it.

You're not alone, I would never put MOS in the upper echelons of U2's greatest songs either.

I can see why people like it, stunning vocals, genuinely inventive lyrics and a great solo at the conclusion, but it still leaves me a little cold. It can come across as one, long, slow moan.

In general, I love the 'desperate ballad' theme that the band have explored before, songs like WOWY, Bad and Please still move me after countless listens.

Although these songs are all about being in a very dark place, there's never a sense of resignation about them, the situation may look hopeless but the narrator is not going down without a fight.

The whisper to a scream structure gives the songs an epic crescendo to counter-act all that despair. For me, tunes like Bad end on a note of triumph and euphoria, not desperation. By the end of MOS, I feel as if Bono's still staring into that 'black hole,' which can be a bit depressing.

Unfortunately for the band, there seems to be a feeling that NLOTH was them at their best but the public didn't respond. There's no 'scrapbook' quality of R&H or the undercooked Pop to soften the blow.

Although these songs are all about being in a very dark place, there's never a sense of resignation about them, the situation may look hopeless but the narrator is not going down without a fight.

The whisper to a scream structure gives the songs an epic crescendo to counter-act all that despair. For me, tunes like Bad end on a note of triumph and euphoria, not desperation. By the end of MOS, I feel as if Bono's still staring into that 'black hole,' which can be a bit depressing.

I enjoyed reading this, and agree that one of the best things about U2's 'desperation' songs is the way they seem to triumph at the end. Good points.

I thin that MOS in any form would have been the ideal single - preferably not edited, actually, though. The point wouldn't be to get on KISS FM. The point would have been to pander to serious "music people" and let word slowly leak out that U2 are releasing a credible new album.
Agreed. Youtube and iTunes could do it. Radio play isn't essential I don't think.

FUCK RADIO TOO! Good work Gabe, however not a big fan of fade-outs.

It is a testament to this song that they played it through the entire tour unflinchingly. IMHO, it does belong in the upper echelon of U2 songs.

Back
Top Bottom