'Miami' vs. 'New York'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Song Do You Prefer?

• Miami

Votes: 79 45.7%
  • New York

Votes: 94 54.3%

• Total voters
i always liked MIAMI. its a great challenging song of the last great U2 album-
MIAMI, My Mammy:up:
POP:up::up::up:

Despite New York's similarity to Dirty Day, I think I may still have to give it the edge. I feel as though it's one thing to be challenging, but quite another to be an empty, unmelodic mess that ultimately has very little to say. To quote Hold Me, Thrill Me..., "They don't know what you're doing/ Babe, it must be art." That kinda sums up how I feel about the song. It's like Bono is just takin' the piss... maybe he went on some acid trip and this is what he came up with, I don't know :shrug:

With that said, I really do love POP, find it to be fairly underrated (not so much around these parts, but still...), and kinda upset when I hear the band refer to it as a misstep in their career... but I am most certainly not going to think it's some grand masterpiece overlooked by the music world. It's a very good album, but as a whole it could've used some more work (single versions of IGWSHA and, most especially, Please, along with Gone live, are vastly superior to their album counterparts; The Playboy Mansion is kinda throwaway). But whatever, that debate is for another day...

So, in my not-so-humble opinion, I would have to say that New York > Miami.

Word :cabbagepatch:

New York, by a slim bit. I like New York a lot. I remember when I heard it I instantly liked it. IDK just something about the guitar and the bass. It's a cool song. Miami is good but if I had to choose between the two, New York. Some of the lyrics on New York are meh but some are actually quite good.

Miami is awesome with a lot of the electronic sorta sound. Plus Bono screaming MIAMI!!! is just epic!:up: I haven't seen/heard Miami live so I gotta check that out. And New York from the Letterman show is the best version IMO.

Man, these 2 songs are 2 of U2's worst. Both are b-side material. Maybe singing about famous cities isn't there strong point eh? :wink:
I however voted for New York. Yes the song is poor, but some of the melodies and the intro is (sometimes) bareable. Miami however has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.

I like them both but New York just wins slightly. I really like the build-up and then the big chorus but Miami does have a kick-ass riff.

Miami for me. I never liked New York all that much, it's a fairly bland song IMO. Miami on the other hand actually has some real character despite some somewhat dodgy lyrics. The bass and the drums really make it.

I went by the album versions and voted New York because it can at least hold my attention while Miami on Pop just bores me.
Much better when they reworked it live. But I disregarded the live version.

Both are my least fave on their respective albums. However the "Hot as a hairdryer in your face.." line is unforgivable. So Miami wins.

haha I already forgot about those lines. Yes Miami wins.

Btw, Bono is a great writer, but is also good in making very bad metaphors:

'hot as a hairdryer in your face'
'the air is heavy, heavy as a truck'
'It's hot as hell, we're like butter on toast'
'Freedom has a scent, like the top of a new born baby’s head

both are excellent songs. with miami being arguably the weakest track of their best album and and new york being in the top half of one of u2's bottom half albums the nod goes to miami :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom