Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Cradle robber.
Does that apply if she's more mature than me?

Also, go me?

coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Quote:
Cradle robber.
That's a little presumptuous... how do you know she's not robbing the grave?

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 05:13 PM
I'm 22 and I love U2, at this point I could care less what other people think about them. That Kendrick collaboration did make them more relevant and improved peoples' opinions of them, that's for sure.
nbelcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Did a quick Google search and none of the charts are really consistent; what is the age group that you all generally define 'millennial'?
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #20
The Male

Local Time: 04:13 PM
Do Millennials care about the Miami New Times?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Did a quick Google search and none of the charts are really consistent; what is the age group that you all generally define 'millennial'?
The guy that wrote this article, Zach Schlein, is 23, so born in 1994. The same age as Ariana Grande. So he has no memory of the 80s and very little memory of the 90s. He describes those times as being bright and full of hope without problems and U2 singing about "utopia"? I don't think many people would describe the state of the world as being some utopia in the 1980s. The world was much less developed with greater levels of poverty back then. Much of the world was locked in a cold war confrontation with multiple proxy hot wars breaking out from time to time. There were nearly 80,000 nuclear weapons just between the Soviet Union and the United States back in 1985. Europe, Germany itself were divided with large military alliances facing each other. I could go on, but the idea that today is a more dire situation and there for young people can't relate to U2 is absurd. U2 were not singing about utopia. They often sang about issues and struggles that people and the world were dealing with.

The guy that wrote this article was only 10 when Vertigo was released. I guess I should be glad this guy even knows U2 exist and cared enough to write a news article about them. From what I read though, he needs a few review lessons on U2's music and the history of the late 20th century.
bono2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #22
45:33

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Also a millennial, I stopped reading the article as soon as he mentioned avocados and snapchat because I'm so fucking sick of that stupid unfunny bullshit, but it's absolutely true, but that's hardly news, and not a revolutionary opinion to have. They're all nearly 60, have been going since 1980, of course millennials don't fucking care.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono2017 View Post
The guy that wrote this article, Zach Schlein, is 23, so born in 1994. The same age as Ariana Grande. So he has no memory of the 80s and very little memory of the 90s. He describes those times as being bright and full of hope without problems and U2 singing about "utopia"? I don't think many people would describe the state of the world as being some utopia in the 1980s. The world was much less developed with greater levels of poverty back then. Much of the world was locked in a cold war confrontation with multiple proxy hot wars breaking out from time to time. There were nearly 80,000 nuclear weapons just between the Soviet Union and the United States back in 1985. Europe, Germany itself were divided with large military alliances facing each other. I could go on, but the idea that today is a more dire situation and there for young people can't relate to U2 is absurd. U2 were not singing about utopia. They often sang about issues and struggles that people and the world were dealing with.

The guy that wrote this article was only 10 when Vertigo was released. I guess I should be glad this guy even knows U2 exist and cared enough to write a news article about them. From what I read though, he needs a few review lessons on U2's music and the history of the late 20th century.

Bright and full of hope? Maybe this "author" is Izzy or Nick? Maybe that's why they can't understand the parallel between then and now?

Wow, just wow...
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post

Also, go me?
Absolutely.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #25
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Also a millennial, I stopped reading the article as soon as he mentioned avocados and snapchat because I'm so fucking sick of that stupid unfunny bullshit, but it's absolutely true, but that's hardly news, and not a revolutionary opinion to have. They're all nearly 60, have been going since 1980, of course millennials don't fucking care.
But the writer suggest its not because of the bands age, but because of their music and how millennials can't relate to it because of the much tougher world they live in compared to the late 20th century, allegedly.

He mentions that they do like Bowie, Prince and Ian Curtis, but I don't see any evidence that those artist are any more popular with millennials than U2 would be.
bono2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
I'm sure millennials have some 80s U2 in their vinyl collection.
I do, honestly.

I've been trying to get some of my fans into U2 recently. You have to be kinda cautious about it, but I do believe with the proper recommendations you can make it happen for the right people. We'll see if it works.
DomCobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:29 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:13 PM
Quote:
Absolutely.
To be fair six years is nothing.

I know when I get her into 90s U2 we've got a party.
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #28
Acrobat

When I'm at the packed Miami show -- the show that sold out in one day -- I'll keep this article in mind.
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
When I'm at the packed Miami show -- the show that sold out in one day -- I'll keep this article in mind.
Indeed.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:13 AM

This conversation happens with every generation. I try not to get too involved with it, as I find myself sounding like my parents haha (I'm 37).

But this video, so full of smug haha. I'm actually cool with some of it, but for me the way it's presented just comes off like shit.

BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote