Mercy - Update - News on "Mercy" 03/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silence

The Fly
Hey where did the song Mercy originate? By the way U2 are evolving and as always the Lyrics remain pertainent to the times, no matter what others (see thread U2 sucks) say!:rockon::madwife::dancing::yippie::grouphug:

We need this thread, now more than ever.

Let's cheer for the glory of this towering achievement, and weep at its failure to see the light of day officially.

At least for now, still the best recorded work this decade by the band.

:bow: :applaud: :wave:

BURN, HATERS.

Reading that "A Beautiful Night In San Jose" post again, I still can't reconcile the notion that Bono told a fan to "watch out" for a certain song, which he claims is one of his favorites, with the fact that it's still M.I.A.

And what really pisses me off is that NO ONE in this community has bothered to ask him about the status of the song in the last 4 years and report back. Not during the whole last tour? What the fuck?

I didn't have the luxury of meeting the band last time around, but I can tell you that's the first thing that would have come out of my mouth upon meeting any of these guys (save for Larry; I'd probably say "Please don't hurt me" first).

So I say it again, anyone who likes this song and is lucky enough to meet them, before you blurt out a bunch of OMG!! effusive praise, ask a strategic question that will hopefully quell some of this curiosity.

And I will do so if I get the chance.

If anyone went up to Bono these days and said "Where's Mercy," he'd probably just lay his hands on your head and say "Bless you, my child."

And you would then weep from the beauty and grace of that moment.

Does anyone remember the thread where I threatened to leak it to the radio stations unless U2 agreed to give it a release?

That was fun.

And trust me, Lazurus, if I ever meet Bono again, I am going to be sure to ask him where the f*** is Mercy!
I am actually surprised more people haven't asked him this yet. :hmm: I think once someone asked Edge but I have never heard of anyone asking Bono.

overrated.jpg

:yes:

And I agree that this is one of U2's best songs from the last 10 years. I don't understand the hate against it. I think it's epic. And it needs to come out.

Not being combative, but, please explain to me why it needs to come out....

I mean, we all have it already. If it's released, will that just mean that it was polished up, etc, so it will sound better? Or, do you want the masses to be able to hear it, too?

I like the song very much, by the way.

I mean, we all have it already. If it's released, will that just mean that it was polished up, etc, so it will sound better? Or, do you want the masses to be able to hear it, too?

We don't have it in the best possible sound quality. The recording that is out there is a bit rough, especially at the very beginning. It would be nice to hear this in all its sonic glory.

That's the primary reason, for me anyway.

We don't have it in the best possible sound quality. The recording that is out there is a bit rough, especially at the very beginning. It would be nice to hear this in all its sonic glory.

That's the primary reason, for me anyway.

Makes sense, thanks.

I don't get all the hate, either. :shrug:

There's a lot of love for it, too. The love for it probably inspired some of the hate.

I want the band to release it so that I won't have to read any posts on it anymore
preferably release it as a b-side cause I really can't consider it album material

if it comes out offically, there is a chance of hearing live, that is one of the reasons I would like it out there.

I just think its interesting that Bono spoke of the song in Q, told me that it is one of his favorites, then we found it attached to a release copy... and then we never hear about it again. So its more just curiosity for me.

U2SJ

1st, THANKS!!! I cant believe people rip this song. If its not the reincarnation of Wild Horses, my ears are worse than I realize! and doesnt everybody love WGRYWH?? I know I do.

2nd, is there anyway you could release a direct rip from the CD in wav?? Id love to hear this song without the hiss, or is the hiss on the CD as well??

3rd, THANKS x1000000000 again.

My U2 wish (other than NLOTH actually competing with AB for best U2 album), a Mercy EP with:
1. Mercy
2. Mercy Demo from 91 which became WGRYWH
3. Mercy stripped down mix (ala WGRYWH Temple Bar mix)

This x 10.000.

How come so many people think that U2 is "failing" by writing new material for a new album?
Sure, if it doesn't show up on a Best of 2000-2010 or some Unreleased & Rare release in the future, I'll be disappointed, but come on...

Not only would I like to have it in superior quality, I really think the masses deserve to hear it. Okay, there's clearly a lot of people here who don't like it, but I think it will find a lot of fans outside of the online community too.

Personally, from what I've heard of the NLOTH, I don't think it would be any more out of place on the new album than on HTDAAB.

I stand by my words, and hey, what do you know? I was right. They never released it.

I just think its interesting that Bono spoke of the song in Q, told me that it is one of his favorites, then we found it attached to a release copy... and then we never hear about it again. So its more just curiosity for me.

Yeah, at this point I guess I'm more interested in the reasoning than the actual release. Like, "we were going to put it on the next album but then things changed, etc."

You mentioned that someone asked Edge about it, was there any response?

Mercy answered by Edge

Hi i asked Edge about Mercy , here is my original post .

12-16-2006, 11:50 PM #1
abombdismantler
The Fly

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Mercy !! Edge Answers
Well i finally remembered when i met the band to ask them about MERCY . Usually everything i plan to say to them goes out the window but not this time . I knew about the filming of WINDOWS IN THE SKY at the CORNER HOTEL in MELBOURNE and managed to blag myself and my girlfriend onto the shoot .For the first 2 run throughs of the filming inside the hotel i was 2 people to the left of EDGE so in between takes a few of us were asking him various questions . I actually got it together and asked him the question we all want answered .....

i said EDGE whats the story with MERCY ? .... he looked at me for a moment and said MERCY ?? i said yes MERCY and after a bit of deliberation he gave me the answer "ITS NOT FINISHED YET "!!Nobody else around knew what i was talking about as most of them were from casting agencys etc , so there were no interuptions , not finished ?? i replied , its 6:15 min long AND THAT GOOD but not finished ? EDGE said yes not finished there are still some parts of it we are working on .
Now if we think its that good already WHATS IT GOING TO END UP LIKE ???

Thanks for being a true believer. Nice to see someone bothered to follow up.

What's strange is that many of the Mercy supporters, myself included, believed the song to be "finished" for all practical purposes. This would seem to contradict that, but the question, is, how was it taken of the album (along with Fast Cars) at the 11th hour if it wasn't done yet?

Unless the meaning of Edge's response is, we kept it off the album, and now we want to take another look at it.

Question is, what happened next?

Back
Top Bottom