Mercy - Update - News on "Mercy" 03/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maybe even bigger that if they play Acrobat

if the Edge was to suddenly play the opening guitar riff from 'Mercy' I think there'd be a riot here. I'd LOVE to see U2 become one of those bands that have these special songs they only play live and don't get round to releasing or even one that just surprises you with a b-side or two at gigs. Have you ever heard a Radiohead crowd when Thom Yorke plays the intro to Talk Show Host?

I wish U2 weren't so tied up to playing to lighting show cues and masses of playback and could just say "whoa..i've had an idea..let's play (song)!" without having to worry if they've got the loops ready or something. Which brings me back to my original point. I love when bands have these special songs which only get played live...

BUT TO ADDRESS THE QUOTE AGAIN, I think hearing Acrobat live would be a dream come true. Now there's something they could level a stadium with, using no loops or anything like that :drool:

I'm thinking they may pull a "Turn The Page" (Seger), a great song that was only released in live format, never on an actual album

Cheap Trick became a household name thanks to the monstrous success of "I Want You to Want Me", which was released as a live performance. They are one of the few artists, if not the only, to have a live album be their "breakthrough".

So perhaps "Mercy" could be that song for U2 (i.e., debuted live). U2 have already had two songs that are concert favorites ("Bad" and "Until the End...") that were never released as singles. So why not go for a new first - debuting a song that was never officially released in a live setting? Could be interesting. :hmm:

Personally, I feel "Mercy" could have easily fit on either HTDAAB or NLOTH. It's a shame it wasn't on either, but hopefully we'll see it officially released soon (and in some semblance of the version we have grown to enjoy).

Cheap Trick became a household name thanks to the monstrous success of "I Want You to Want Me", which was released as a live performance. They are one of the few artists, if not the only, to have a live album be their "breakthrough".

So perhaps "Mercy" could be that song for U2 (i.e., debuted live). U2 have already had two songs that are concert favorites ("Bad" and "Until the End...") that were never released as singles. So why not go for a new first - debuting a song that was never officially released in a live setting? Could be interesting. :hmm:

Personally, I feel "Mercy" could have easily fit on either HTDAAB or NLOTH. It's a shame it wasn't on either, but hopefully we'll see it officially released soon (and in some semblance of the version we have grown to enjoy).

How about Peter Frampton as far as live breakthroughs? :hmm:

Also I was surprised to read that about Cheap Trick. I guess because I never really paid attention to what was chart topping etc.. and Cheap Trick were huge among most people I knew before the live album. Especially when In Color was released. I know I saw them a few times back then, but yes thinking back now I don't remember the shows being huge until I saw them as one of the headliners at a big festival in Aug '79.

And Mercy I would love to see released and played live. I am a fan :up:

How about Peter Frampton as far as live breakthroughs? :hmm:

Also I was surprised to read that about Cheap Trick. I guess because I never really paid attention to what was chart topping etc.. and Cheap Trick were huge among most people I knew before the live album. Especially when In Color was released. I know I saw them a few times back then, but yes thinking back now I don't remember the shows being huge until I saw them as one of the headliners at a big festival in Aug '79.

And Mercy I would love to see released and played live. I am a fan :up:

You're right - Frampton is another artist who's live album catapulted him up to superstardom. "Frampton Comes ALive" was a monster success for him and his real breakthrough.

Cheap Trick had a hit with "Surrender" first. But it was that silly love song ("I Want You..." from "Cheap Trick at Budokan" album recorded in 1978) that really became their biggest hit. It should be noted that "I Want You..." was released on "In Color" first - the album you mentioned - but only became a hit in the live format.

Not too many artists have breakthroughs with a live album. I wonder if it could even be done today.

U2 are known for live performances and recently they have given us far more live material. :applaud:

But maybe U2 can try something new and play a previously unreleased track. Sure, some of us die-hards may recognize it (and even then, will we? I bet it would take me a while to figure out they were playing "Mercy" as it's so unexpected.), but most (like 98% of the audience) won't have heard it. Could be fun. :D

I gotta say I don't mind the idea of a live debut, but I've always preferred studio versions, except for the 1980-83 U2 albums. There's nothing that can be done well live that can't be done better in the studio.
I think that Drowning Man live, would be a dream come true.
Agreed. And "Like a Song" instead of the usual "War" tracks.

Glad to hear that it's still in the works, just needs a few tweaks, on the next album would be amazing, if not, a several year wait!!! This forum would blow up and live would be incredible!

Wouldn't it be a crazy mindfuck if.....

The new album comes out and Mercy is on it because the band has heard fans rumbling about it, but its not the same song we've been hearing.

Looking back at the very first post ever regarding this song, it seems that there might be a hypothetical possibility that Bono teased about a song called Mercy, but that the cd given away with the extra track was really a different song called "Drinking Some Wine" or "Blue Eyes" or "Alive Again" or something to that effect.

I mean, i've heard the song a lot. A LOT. and i can't recall the word Mercy being in it at all.

Before you disagree with me, I don't believe it either. I think this song is clearly Mercy. But all I am saying is how crazy would it be if they gave us

"everything (we) ever wanted... it wasn't what (we) wanted."
"i give you everything that you want. except the thing that you want"

See? Its all a clever prank they've been planning and hinting about for 15 years!!!

Mercy will be a two and a half minute punk song with no lyrics.

The new album comes out and Mercy is on it because the band has heard fans rumbling about it, but its not the same song we've been hearing.

Looking back at the very first post ever regarding this song, it seems that there might be a hypothetical possibility that Bono teased about a song called Mercy, but that the cd given away with the extra track was really a different song called "Drinking Some Wine" or "Blue Eyes" or "Alive Again" or something to that effect.

I mean, i've heard the song a lot. A LOT. and i can't recall the word Mercy being in it at all.

Before you disagree with me, I don't believe it either. I think this song is clearly Mercy. But all I am saying is how crazy would it be if they gave us

See? Its all a clever prank they've been planning and hinting about for 15 years!!!

^ but......

Mercy-HTDAAB.jpg

I don't think it's overrated. It's just like all other U2 songs... lots of people love it and give it high praise and want more of it... lots of people don't. There are lots of U2 songs that are like this... in fact maybe most of them. :ohmy: :hmm:

Ok I was just looking at that drawing above and I see that Bono hid the letters O rLY in there.

:ohmy: :lol: :wink:

don't mind me :reject:

Someone's brother talked to him after the Los Angeles radio thing.

wait now LARRY says it'll be on the new album?

What madness is occurring here?

I can't believe it still exists, like, 4-5 years later. Unreal. I'm excited.

And :up: to Drowning Man and Like a Song! that would be epic. I wish :sigh:

Drowning Man is apparently Adam's favourite so if any of you meet him you should tell him you want to hear it live :D

excellent news about Mercy! My fav U2 song that never was, I love the unique atmosphere it has. Hopefully they'll play it live and it gets a great reaction, and then they release a remastered version on their next album. I can't see how U2 can let this gem slip.

You know the best part in Mercy? - The part that builds into the chorus, amazing. But I believe they should rework it a bit to make it fit in with the 'ambience' of the next album. :wink:

Can somebody ask the band members why they haven't play "Electrical Storm" to the public yet?

Okay, I propose that some one, maybe a MOD comes up with a Sticky thread where we can compile the top ten things people should tell the band if and when they ever get a chance to meet them.

I vote that some love for Electrical Storm be thrown in there for good measure.

Yeah, that would be pretty irritating. Even if it ended up being a better song, we'd still want the one we're thinking of.
anyone have a better sound quality version of Mercy? I have the 128kb version, a little tinny sounding....thanks for any help on this request.

bpadrick@windstream.net
That's the only one I've got. That's one of the reasons we want a proper release; that and I'd like it reworked with more ambience, as someone said, and texture and even better lyrics.

We have an article from, I think it was Q or some other magazine? Where they speak of Mercy. Its runtime is exactly the same as the time of our unknown track, and before NLOTH, how many six-and-a-half minute punk rock tracks have U2 made?

It's too coincidental, I'm 100% sure this track is named Mercy. Especially since the original track was track 12 from an unknown album coincidentally having Hutdab's release date, and guess what? Mercy was the final track to be erased from the album, just before its release!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom