Mercy - Update - News on "Mercy" 03/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mercy not included on the new u2.com membership bonus CD. which basically has all the rarities from the complete U2.

I think this means there are potential plans for it, or maybe Im being too hopeful.

Not necessarily.....Mercy wasn't part of the original Complete U2, so it doesn't really mean anything that it's not on this disc.

I don't think Mercy would've fit musically. It sounds far too much like early 00s U2. Thematically, however, it might have. The idea of being wrong or messed up and then "born again" has a heavy presence on NLOTH. Maybe Mercy fans can take comfort in thinking that Mercy inspired the whole NLOTH album! :wink:

I posted this in another thread but since this thread has popped up again anyways I thought I'd put it here where it belongs.

Mercy-HTDAAB.jpg

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder why people think the Collector's Book was some kind of let down.

So cool to have the handwritten lyrics and the paintings/drawings, and to me it felt very personal.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder why people think the Collector's Book was some kind of let down.

So cool to have the handwritten lyrics and the paintings/drawings, and to me it felt very personal.

:up: Exactly. I don't understand the complaints either. I don't know how much more you could ask for in a "collector" book as far as a glimpse into the songs and their inspiration. It's very personal. They didn't have to give us this and you didn't have to buy it if you weren't interested, but I think it was an excellent accompaniment to the album.

Winter does not appear to be Mercy reworked.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but Winter's guitar hook is closer to 'New York' from ATYCLB, which is played on two strings. By contrast, Mercy is a different lick played on one string.

Mercy is the best song this band has written for about 15 years. It would be a travesty if this song was left off the coming album later this year. Makes Moment of Surrender look like Numb in terms of epicness.

I think it would have fitted, maybe as track 5?
I think Mercy would have worked in this play list
1. NLOH
2. Magnificent
3. Winter
4. Mercy
5. Crazy Tonight
6. Stand up Comedy
7. Get on your boots
8. fez
9. unkown caller
10. moment of surrender
11. white as snow
12. breathe
13. cedars

Does anyone else find it interesting that on the RARE AND UNRELEASED CD that U2.com is giving away with memberships that Mercy is not on the tracklisting.Hmmm makes me wonder if Mercy will see the light of day on a future album.Songs of Acsent perhaps?:hmm:

Does anyone else find it interesting that on the RARE AND UNRELEASED CD that U2.com is giving away with memberships that Mercy is not on the tracklisting.Hmmm makes me wonder if Mercy will see the light of day on a future album.Songs of Acsent perhaps?:hmm:

It's not unreleased stuff, that's why. It's called U2:Medium, Rare and Remastered. There are no previously unreleased tracks on there, so not surprising.

I think people are missing my point I know that all these songs are availaible on I Tunes but why is Mercy not on Rare and Remastered?

I know what you are saying, but you are missing our point.

All of the songs on this collection have already been officially released, which is why it is called Rare and Remastered. Since Mercy has NEVER been released, it wasn't included.

No other unreleased stuff is on there, either.

I know what you are saying, but you are missing our point.

All of the songs on this collection have already been officially released, which is why it is called Rare and Remastered. Since Mercy has NEVER been released, it wasn't included.

No other unreleased stuff is on there, either.

Oh ok because I heard Mercy on You Tube with all those other songs I just thought it was released through I Tunes but It has never been released then.Well I guess it makes my point irrelevant then.Im a standard CD guy and dont have an IPOD but I would like to get one.Then I guess its still possible for Mercy to be put on some future album though?

That's what (some of us) are hoping.

Supposedly Edge was asked about it and he said they're still working on it. This was a few years ago, so who knows?

But rest assured, if I see any of the band members on this tour it is the first thing I'm going to bring up.

And I urge others to do the same!

News on "Mercy"

I got this from atu2.com which posted an article by fan Tim Cunningham.

Here's the article:
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=5437

This is what he wrote about "Mercy":
"U2 stuck around after the event to sign autographs for about ten minutes. After making our way to the stage, my friend Kevin and I asked The Edge, "Are we ever going to hear 'Mercy'?" Edge said, "We really want to play it live, we're just trying to find a place for it." He commented very briefly about how the entire band enjoys that song. When I told him I thought it was the greatest song ever written, he looked me in the eye and said, "Really? Thank you" while giving me a fist bump. Nice."

I hope the band perfects the song melodically and lyrically first and does an official studio recording at some point -- perhaps for the next album.

Back
Top Bottom