Mercy - Update - News on "Mercy" 03/09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if it comes out offically, there is a chance of hearing live, that is one of the reasons I would like it out there.

yeah that's the main reason for me, that and the other reasons given - polished sound quality, masses deserve to hear it

I'm surprised more haters haven't come into this thread...I guess they're avoiding it.

i LOVE Mercy. I like it more than anything on Bomb, and I'm not a HTDAAB hater. the lyrics, vocal delivery, the flow (everything fits perfectly; the transitions from verse to prechorus to chorus are seamless), the way it builds up, the simple and emotive guitarwork, driving rhythm section, the atmosphere... to me it's one of those songs, that really sum up what U2's all about.

if I meet Bono, I will ask him. I'll tell him it's one of the most beautiful things he's ever written.

I am glad they nixed it from Bomb because I don't think it fits at all. It's a completely different feel. That's probably why they ditched it, unless they're so moronic that they don't think it's good enough...but seeing as Bono said to look out for it, surely he at least loves it. Sounds like it might have fit on No Line though, based on what little we have...oh well. Maybe the album will produce a song even better than Mercy.

Mercy is a beautiful promise. However, it is a demo. The lyrics are beautiful in their unfinished form, but they would be some of Bono's best, I think, had they been fully completed. Really, the whole track is that way.

Mercy is a beautiful promise. However, it is a demo. The lyrics are beautiful in their unfinished form, but they would be some of Bono's best, I think, had they been fully completed. Really, the whole track is that way.

I think the lyrics are some of his best. there are a couple lines that could be improved though (like "You know I'm weedkiller honey, and you're sugar").

as for the music, I wouldn't change anything. Is it possible they could improve it? of course. but I love it the way it is

I’m neither a Mercy love nor hater, but I really don’t understand the hype around it. It sounds like a very unfinished demo (of a similar level of completeness to all the other alternate Bomb tracks) of a very overblown song. Given the final sonic treatment, I could see it fitting on the Bomb and perhaps being the best song on there, but in their greater catalogue I wouldn’t think of it as more than a b-side. Really unfocused, really just blowing a lot of steam.

As has been pointed out in another thread, and I agree, one reason why it didn’t make NLOTH aside from it’s fit is likely because of it’s similarity lyrically (at least chorus to chorus) and so perhaps thematically through the whole song, to Magnificent.

Agreed. Still better than most on Bomb. I read somewhere that the band felt it was too dark. Perhaps on the next album, then? Hopefully.
As has been pointed out in another thread, and I agree, one reason why it didn’t make NLOTH aside from it’s fit is likely because of it’s similarity lyrically (at least chorus to chorus) and so perhaps thematically through the whole song, to Magnificent.
I didn't even know any of us knew what Magnificent was about. Hope the band haven't given up on it, though.

I didn't even know any of us knew what Magnificent was about. Hope the band haven't given up on it, though.

We know a little bit of Magnificent – the chorus at least + some sprinklings of the verses, not quite the meaning or point.

They both seem to be:
I was this, I was that, You are this, You are that, but… Love! Love is this! Love is that! (cue Edge) Love! Love! (the end)

They both seem to be:
I was this, I was that, You are this, You are that, but… Love! Love is this! Love is that! (cue Edge) Love! Love! (the end)

:lmao: very succinct :wink:

Wasn't there another song with lyrics about being born again? and of course there's Fez - Being Born...

maybe the entire album is actually Mercy split up into 11 different songs :wink:

Mercy is a brilliant song, but if they are not gonna work on it then put it out of its misery and release it as a b-side. :wink:

Wow, finally a Mercy thread, we haven't talked about the song for ages :wink:

Mercy, still love it, still feel it should be released. Sounds finished to me.

Strange thing about Mercy is that the siren-like guitar always manages to put me to sleep when I'm listening to it late at night. I can listen to a dozen songs before and not fall asleep, but with Mercy I never get to hear the end because I fall asleep in the middle of the song. It's strange, but good, because I usually have troubles finding sleep.

Mercy sounded something straight from the early 90's - there was a lot of old U2 in there. Perhaps U2 felt they didn't want to be refering to their past self too much and wanted to move forward? Who knows.

I try and try... but I don't think I'll ever like Mercy :sad:

I was really disappointed not to find it on NLOTH's track list. I'm guessing there's no word from the band on whether they trashed it or are just still working on it. Crap. :huh:

Mercy sounded something straight from the early 90's - there was a lot of old U2 in there. Perhaps U2 felt they didn't want to be refering to their past self too much and wanted to move forward? Who knows.

I think thats a very good chance.

Other than sound quality we have heard of course and the aduio mix, lyrically its as finished or focused or direct as SO Cruel, Ultraviolet, WGRYWH, the first time, Lemon and the list goes on.

how can people rip it for being unfinished but then say they love AB. Or for the most part, are the people that dont like Mercy also not consider AB to be the peak??

U2SJ rules! Thank you so much for IMO the best song U2 has put out since POP. If this song was on the radio, although it is a bit long for radio I think a lot of U2 haters would jump on board with U2. On the other hand I am glad they didn't FIX it and release it on the new album because I love the original version. I don't why people say it is like a demo ??? It sounds like it's recorded perfect to me, it's not a beach clip.I bet if this song was on the new album and nobody knew about Mercy many Interferencers would be saying "OMG that's the best U2 song ever!!!" Over time since the original leak people have already made up their minds.

The notion that it is a demo is asinine. Way too many things going on.

And if you're not listening to a high quality mp3 (mine is just about 15 megs), then you're really not in a position to be judging it anyway.

People think because the song takes its time that's it's somehow unfinished and needs a lot of work, but the expansive nature (something missing from most of the 00's output) is why many of us like it so much.

I can see why you'd call it "the expansive nature"
thing is that I don't mind songs expansive, but Mercy to me seems more 6.30 minutes of music than a song
even though some of the music being very good I think of it as a demo cause it still seems directionless to me
(even when compared to something like Elvis Presley & America!)
+ the last 2 minutes do just go on a bit
and the end still feels undercooked

I'd applaud more spontaneity, but Mercy just doesn't do it for me

unfortunately i think this song has hit the cutting room floor. It is also VERY possible that they know too many people have heard it at this point to release it as "new". With all the new material that went into no line on the horizon im sure they either completely forgot about it or it fell to the waste side. The only way i could ever see this song seeing the light of day would be as a b-side/bootleg/best of comp./ or an updated complete U2 boxset. :sad:

such a shame

And if you're not listening to a high quality mp3 (mine is just about 15 megs), then you're really not in a position to be judging it anyway.

People think because the song takes its time that's it's somehow unfinished and needs a lot of work, but the expansive nature (something missing from most of the 00's output) is why many of us like it so much.

:up:

I think my CD quality is high like every body else's, and I think this song rocks and should be a B-Side.

Its funny, there was only ONE, ONE rip of this EVER online. the original WMA file.

It was converted and made into a 320kps mp3, which makes no sense. You can't polish a turd so to speak.

One bootleg label put it on a release and did some EQ'ing but it was still from the same source.

Now besides that, I fucking love the song as you can see from the original thread. It is one of the best tunes this decade from the band that we have heard.

It will probably end up being one of the "lost" or forgotten songs, which sucks.

Mercy is the holy grail and I hope someday we find it released in a finished form or slightly reworked, would have been to HTDAAB what Magnificent is going to be to NLOTH. :drool:

I have it on my playlist with Fast Cars to make an unofficial copy of HTDAAB.

aren't the lyrics on the album liner of htdaab? it must have been cut at the very last minute. larry probably thought it was crap. as many other people have said....its better than most songs on bomb. perhaps only blinding lights is its equal.

Back
Top Bottom