Meet Bono's Hero on World AIDS Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Meet Bono’s Hero on World AIDS Day, 2010 - @U2 Blog

Meet Bono’s Hero on World AIDS Day, 2010

World AIDS Day is Wednesday, December 1, 2010. It is a day we set aside to remember those lost and those who are living with the disease. Eight years ago on this date in 2002, Agnes Nyamayarwo made history alongside Bono & other AIDS activists as they spoke before an enthusiastic audience at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln to launch DATA (Debt, Aid, Trade, Africa) on “The Heart of America” tour. DATA was Bono’s African advocacy organization which had a productive vision of what needed to be done to assist African countries in their efforts to upgrade their standards of living. Agnes was pivotal to the formation & the success of DATA as Bono personally chose her to be DATA’s “face” of the African AIDS crisis & her courageous response to it.

Agnes’ amazing life story and her graceful presence not only moved people’s hearts but inspired them to take action with DATA on behalf of Africa’s future. DATA would lead to the creation in May, 2004 of ONE and Agnes would go on to become its first African spokesperson alongside Bono.

In October, 2009, many U2 fans had the chance to hear Agnes’ inspirational story in person as she was one of the speakers at the first ever U2 Academic Conference in North Carolina where she was introduced by Bono via a taped message here.

Agnes Nyamayarwo: U2 Academic Conference - @U2 Blog

For those who attended the U2 concert in Raleigh that evening, they were treated to Bono’s dedication of the song “One” to Agnes – his dear friend who was in attendance.

On December 1, 2010, a new online venture will be launched for Agnes and the HIV positive women whom she works with – the Mulago Positive Women’s Network. The purpose for this unique event is to help keep alive Bono’s original vision for Africans by empowering extremely poor women at the most grassroots level in their society to raise their own voices. You will be able to interact with the women personally via the internet to better inform you what HIV/AIDS in Africa looks like today and to help them showcase their uniquely handmade African craft items to help them educate their children & provide for their welfare.

More details of the day’s live broadcast (December 1, 2010 from 9am to 11am Eastern Standard Time) can be found here.

A Gem Of An Idea - Multicast Login

On a very personal note, I would just like to add that I learned about Agnes Nyamayarwo’s life and activism a few years ago when I joined the @U2 forum. As a woman and mother who does not live in poverty, she truly has been a inspirational role model for me. I learned that I could make a difference in another woman’s life on the other side of the globe. I started selling the MPWN’s crafts and now consider Agnes a dear friend. I was not able to go to the U2 Conference and missed my chance to meet her. I am excited that this event will help me realize a dream of my own…..to meet these remarkable women whom I have been helping. Woman to woman……mother to mother……we can all make a difference. I hope you can join us!

Mulago Positive Women’s Network

Back
Top Bottom