Lovetown: what a tour it must've been!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, if you have an iPhone, scroll between the second Lovetown pic and the claw. :lol:

Didn't realise Lovetown looked quite so much like a crap primary school production.

Probably my least favorite U2 shows (based on bootlegs, I've only seen 360 in person) have all been in the last decade of their career. Bono's voice isn't as good, they play a lot of the older songs slower and the setlists have generally taken a step back as well.

Wow, if you have an iPhone, scroll between the second Lovetown pic and the claw. :lol:

Didn't realise Lovetown looked quite so much like a crap primary school production.

It was all about the music, period. Basically up until 1992. I say that as someone that also likes the technology. But in the end, it is the music that matters the most. Lovetown to me represents U2 at its pinnacle and Bono at his worst as well (Listen to the last minute of God Part II from the Amsterdam 89 show, ouch!! My own throat hurts listening to it! Bono was clearly very frustrated by it.)

I know most will disagree, but I felt like the Vertigo tour at points was the closest setlist wise they have come to a Lovetown type of setlist selection since 1989.

Oh from what I’ve heard of Lovetown it sounds like it was fucking amazing. That Point Depot version of One Tree Hill is one of the band’s best moments and there’s a version of Running to Stand Still from December 20 that I can’t listen to without crying like a little girl. It’s energetic – as good as the Vertigo versions were they didn’t have the same energy and propulsion I felt. The crowd all recognise the song immediately and they almost drown out the band. The “still running” snippet. Bono plays an amazing harmonica bit. And then Bono starts the Dirty Old Town snippet, and he doesn’t even need to sing the “dirty old town, dirty old town…” part. It’s incredible. I know I’m on record as saying RTSS/Streets from ZooTV is the pinnacle of the band, and I stand by that, but man, that Lovetown version is spine-tingling.

Sometimes I wonder if the band’s past has been mythicised a little bit, like if you went back in time to an old Lovetown gig, would it be as magical as some of us young’uns imagine it to be, but hearing moments like that, I think I’ll just hold onto the myth forever :)

It looks pretty basic, but I like the colours and the images.

(It's not really comparable with the claw of course.)

Oh from what I’ve heard of Lovetown it sounds like it was fucking amazing. That Point Depot version of One Tree Hill is one of the band’s best moments and there’s a version of Running to Stand Still from December 20 that I can’t listen to without crying like a little girl. It’s energetic – as good as the Vertigo versions were they didn’t have the same energy and propulsion I felt. The crowd all recognise the song immediately and they almost drown out the band. The “still running” snippet. Bono plays an amazing harmonica bit. And then Bono starts the Dirty Old Town snippet, and he doesn’t even need to sing the “dirty old town, dirty old town…” part. It’s incredible. I know I’m on record as saying RTSS/Streets from ZooTV is the pinnacle of the band, and I stand by that, but man, that Lovetown version is spine-tingling.

Sometimes I wonder if the band’s past has been mythicised a little bit, like if you went back in time to an old Lovetown gig, would it be as magical as some of us young’uns imagine it to be, but hearing moments like that, I think I’ll just hold onto the myth forever :)

I think you mean the December 30, 1989 version of Running. They did not play a show on the 20th, they were supposed to in Amsterdam but it was cancelled because Bono's voice gave out.

I do think the past is mythicised a tad. I did not have the oppurtunity to attend Lovetown but it seems like it was a great tour. I hear all the time about Zoo TV which you mentioned as well. I went to 8 Zoo TV shows both indoor and outdoor and it was great. But I did not and do not think it was head and shoulders above most of U2's tours. I think it tends to get mythicised as this moment of concert zen that transcends time. It was not, it was a great and inventive rock show for the time by one of the best live bands on the planet. I have seen every tour (except Lovetown) since the JT tour and they all are great in some way. Honestly, I liked the production of Popmart better than Zoo. Popmart gets a bad rap, it was a great tour also, as good as Zoo to me. I like Vertigo as much as any tour and I know I'm the minority on that one. Such a subjective thing. Enjoyment of a show has so many elements including your own personal emotions at the time. So it is very hard to really compare and judge tours or particular shows.

One thing for sure, U2 live is a great experience almost always, no matter what tour, for me anyway. The band obviously have highs and lows and so do we. It all effects our perception of a particular show and/or tour. Sometimes there is some concensus on it, sometimes there is not.

Peterrrrr said:
Or why not a small club tour :drool:

Because either tickets would be $10,000 a piece or they'd be impossible to get or U2 would have to tour for ten years. Two months straight in New York!

I'm listening to the 12/26/89 Point Depot show now while working on my computer, and it's interesting what Bono says right before ISHFWILF:

"I'd like to tell you the real reason why we're playing the Point Depot here. We're not here because we want to send it via satellite to the rest of the world ... We're not here to make a pile of dough or anything, really. The real reason ... we've been playing for ten years in these big places, and we wanted to play a small place. It's not really that complicated, is it?"

I'm actually one who can go either way. I do love the spectacle of the big 90's and beyond shows. I'm a very visual person, so all of the extras make a big impact on me. But never having seen U2 in anything other than a stadium, I'm really intrigued as to what a simple Lovetown-like show would be. The bootlegs from that era are really some of the best, even though I'm one who prefers 90's U2 in general.

However I also agree that the whole Lovetown era seems to be mythicized a bit. If U2 would have continued in that vein, U2 would have obviously ceased to exist many years ago.

Would I love to go back in time and see one of these shows? Oh, hell yes. Would I like to see U2 today in a similar venue? Absolutely. Would I also be happy seeing them in an arena or a stadium again? Of course.

The 1990 Rotterdam performance of Bad is arguably Bono's finest live performance in my opinion. Whether you're a fan or his tendency to scream during this time period or not, he was absolutely brilliant here.

Listened to some tasty Point Depot OTH today. It was sounding pretty good until midway through, when I remembered that the suspenders Edge was wearing that day were an absolute disaster. I had to turn that shit straight off.

Listened to some tasty Point Depot OTH today. It was sounding pretty good until midway through, when I remembered that the suspenders Edge was wearing that day were an absolute disaster. I had to turn that shit straight off.
:lol:

I refuse to listen to any U2 recording from when Bono had a stupid haircut.

This means I listen to approximately 0% U2.

Lovetown. That scene in "From The Sky Down" where Bono wanks the bottle of champagne made me glad I had audio recordings from this tour, and not video.

How do they not?

Isn't it about the whole experience, rather than just the music? To me, the experience got better, and to actually have the 90s music is a rather large improvement to me. In fact, if I had to pick a decade of U2 and only be able to listen to that decade, it'd be the 90s.

that'd be dificult for me.... cause i love NLOTH almost/as much as AB!
and :heart: COBL

be very sad to leave :heart: IGC of all the 80's work behind

Meh. I couldn't care less about all the technology. The best shows I've been to have been smaller shows where the bands played really well on their own and didn't rely on visuals and gimmickry. I'd take 1989 U2 live in a small club with zero of that in whatever they want to wear over now. Easy. No contest. Because in the end, it's about music. Or there'd be no U2. And U2 was at the top of its game musically in the late 80s. Bono was his most passionate. Edge played the hell out of songs and didn't rely on wonky effects (just overdrive, delay, and reverb mostly).

Whren you are live atmosphere can enhance the music more.

the outer rail was a fabulous idea!

The Claw & Screen Rules!

And to say Bono was at his most passionate Bono has had passionate full or sections of shows in all eras.

As for Edge- "just overdrive, delay, and reverb mostly" still are types of effects.. ....
... i think by definition the note (string) bending, hammering on or off, damping strings, and ? one or two other physica effects soundsl by use of the fingers or palm would be the "only" Amplication with out any "outside" effects (that is by some other means) available.

he's commited to exploring all manner of sonic aspects on variuos guitars and effects pedals.

Being able to have Aplification is fantastic but only the begining...if yuou are to explore the full potential of the Electric Guitar.

Lovetown. That scene in "From The Sky Down" where Bono wanks the bottle of champagne made me glad I had audio recordings from this tour, and not video.

Watch the God Part II live video from Sydney, I think you may have a different impression of not having video.

My first concert was The Joshua Tree Tour, as much as I enjoyed the show and the album, the Lovetown shows must have been something really special, just great raw performances, working out new material and varied setlists. I really hope sometime in the near future a proper DVD is released, so many great shows, especially Dublin and Rotterdam. I think possibly a Rattle and Hum Remaster will be soon, a bonus DVD would be appreciated by so many fans that were unable to see the Lovetown shows.

I was lucky enough to have seen the Lovetown tour in Amsterdam `89 and Rotterdam 10 Jan `90
(I recieved the R`dam ticket for the cancelled A`dam show)
The Rotterdam show still remains my fav U2 show I`ve seen and tour.

Cheers,

Mauwer

I'm listening to the 12/26/89 Point Depot show now while working on my computer, and it's interesting what Bono says right before ISHFWILF:

"I'd like to tell you the real reason why we're playing the Point Depot here. We're not here because we want to send it via satellite to the rest of the world ... We're not here to make a pile of dough or anything, really. The real reason ... we've been playing for ten years in these big places, and we wanted to play a small place. It's not really that complicated, is it?"

I'm actually one who can go either way. I do love the spectacle of the big 90's and beyond shows. I'm a very visual person, so all of the extras make a big impact on me. But never having seen U2 in anything other than a stadium, I'm really intrigued as to what a simple Lovetown-like show would be. The bootlegs from that era are really some of the best, even though I'm one who prefers 90's U2 in general.

However I also agree that the whole Lovetown era seems to be mythicized a bit. If U2 would have continued in that vein, U2 would have obviously ceased to exist many years ago.

Would I love to go back in time and see one of these shows? Oh, hell yes. Would I like to see U2 today in a similar venue? Absolutely. Would I also be happy seeing them in an arena or a stadium again? Of course.

They became so huge with JT moving on to stadiums was almost a given.

Purely for comparison's sake, arenas would be nice after 360 full stadium run. Like I said, it's about time U2 brings out a genuine worldwide arena tour.
But on the other hand, stadiums are less tiring on the band, especially Bono's vocals. I doubt U2 would be willing to play anything smaller than arenas for a full tour, so clubs or venues a la Red Rocks are off.

Interesting to see fan dismay re: stadiums considering U2 single-handedly pushed the envelope of stadium shows with Zoo TV, Popmart and now 360 and most of their shows after 80's were in stadiums and that Elevation, the only fully arenas tour since Lovetown is the most hated tour...

But on the other hand, stadiums are less tiring on the band, especially Bono's vocals.Elevation, the only fully arenas tour since Lovetown is the most hated tour...

Where did you get this impression?

Probably just that they can play one night one bigger show in an area instead of several nights of smaller shows, I would guess. EDIT, Nevermind DUH I see the rest of the statement now and realize you weren't asking about that. :lol: *goes back to finishing my coffee :reject:*

I'd love to see them somewhere smaller. :drool: But yeah it would be probably next to impossible to get tickets.

I agree, U2girl - where did you get that impression? From what I've heard, most loved the Elevation tour - more than the Vertigo one. People also enjoyed 360 - the only complaint being it was almost TOO big (but such is the life of a stadium tour with a big stage). Elevation Tour had that great heart (which I got into - never made into the Vertigo oval) and was far more intimate compared to other tours. Probably it was the most intimate tour since the LoveTown tour.

Umm, several U2 fan forums. Seems like most people enjoy the big productions ; Elevation in particular gets a bad rap for short sets/weak vocals.

About that the bands members didnt feel well on LT tour, I think it was the opposite in the tour after LT; ZooTV. Even if ZooTV had some serious critics on the Sarajevo war and ohter stuff I realy get the feeling that it was a very happy band on stage.

A very good example of that is this show, it realy feels that the band puts a more "happy" feel to the songs.
I get the feeling that the band was on good mood when they played SBS on this show:
U2 - Live from East Rutherford (ZOO TV, 1992-08-13) [full concert] - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom