Lovetown Stadium Stage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Love town was mostly done in indoor arenas. But they also did a handful of outdoor stadiums, including the 4 New Zealand shows and the 2 shows in Adelaide. Does anybody have a picture of what the stage looked like at these shows? I'm just curious, I'm somewhat of a U2 historian.

Thanks for that, I was curious as to what they did. They basically just used the same staging as JT with some LoveTown graphics in place of the JT ones.

Anyone have any pictures of the PA system for either JT or Lovetown. I've never been able to find it. Was it creatively hidden in the design like Popmart & Vertigo outdoors? Stacked way off to the side?

A Lovetown full show release is at the top of my list of what I'd like them to release from the back catalog. I know one of the Sydney shows and the Dublin NYE shows were proshot, among others. I know U2 view this tour as one of their low points. But IMO, they were playing extremely well during this time. Hell, even Bono had his shit locked down more than most tours! He was even playing rhythm guitar somewhat effectively!!!

Did you notice in those video's Bono's voice, although a little tired still sounded fantastic, actually they all sounded great. Neat to see the old Edge long hair too. I have bootlegs from this tour but would REALLY like something official. Do you guys think they just didn't tape them?

man those were times to be alive..imagine u2 in new zeland in tour that is actually indor tour but its outside for some ocassions....those were times when life was simpler

has any one got simmiliar rare videos of som other lovetown outdoor setting ?
im also searching for zoo tv indoor at vienna wich was outdoor and rare use of u2 pyrotechnics on popmart

Yeah, I do think, based on the little I've heard, that this tour is them at their very best live.

Within the context of the times, maybe they were getting a little dinosaur-ish by 1989, but taken out of context and just enjoyed today, they were just incredible.

One of the reasons is probably that, for the first time in many years, it was a "no pressure" tour -- not hawking an album or a record or a download, and not having to make back a big financial investment. Not trying to win over corporate America, etc. Just go out and play for fun to appreciate, fairly non-critical audiences.

Then, Bono's voice was at its peak.

Edge was in a relatively 'guitar-hero' mode (for him) at this stage, which meant he wasn't afraid to rip it up a bit. My God, their "All Along at Watchtower" at (I think) Sydney is so great it does my head in. (by comparison, makes the crappy Rattle & Hum run-through sound like a U2 imitation band busking)

This tour is also the end of "80s U2", which gives it a certain mood of finality and emeritus. They had to move on from this, but it's like one last victory lap.

This is the only tour where I've enjoyed "All I Want is You", and only in the '87 and '89 tours did I really like 'Where the Streets Have No Name'. (Much of the 80s' catalog sounds awkward to me during the 1990s' shows.)

Hell, I even like Edge's piratical image.

Wish i had the opportunity to watch U2 in the late 80's - early 90's. Too bad i was only a young child that wasnt able to go to concerts then.

Wish i had the opportunity to watch U2 in the late 80's - early 90's. Too bad i was only a young child that wasnt able to go to concerts then.

Me too. My first show was Popmart when I was 15. If I could go back in time, one of the first things I'd do is go to a U2 concert in the 80's, and a Zoo TV show. I have an aunt who saw the JT Tour and the ZOO tour, both in Cleveland. She says the JT show was the best concert of her life, but the zoo show sucked and she fell off the U2 wagon after that. I couldn't believe my ears!

Back
Top Bottom