Lovetown...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dal975

The Fly
was always the most obscure tour for me through the years. My early boots tended to be JT-tour oriented and then I became a fanatic with the explosion of AB/Zoo TV, so I concentrated on that era and beyond. Maybe b/c the actual Lovetown tour was not featured on R&H, I tended to overlook Lovetown. I mean, I had "At the Eleventh Hour" and knew about the dream it all up again speech, but somehow the rest of the tour got overlooked for me.

That said, the more I interact with forum members, and with the accessability of You Tube and re-listening to some other boots I have, I am growing convinced that Lovetown may have been the absolute PEAK of their live performances. The improvisations, snippets, ad-libs, extended intros and outros, extended edge solos, and perhaps most importantly, the diversity of the setlists from night to night have never been matched by the band since (of course, just my opinion). Also, the sound quality of lots of recordings seems disproportionately outstanding relative to the time era. Although later tours were superlative, they of course were a bit more formulaic and repetitive. My thought is that without a new album to support, and having mastered the JT songs, they were completely free to let loose. For those out there who attended any Lovetown shows, what was the vibe compared to say, the earlier JT shows vs. anything later? How did the holiday season affect things? I started going to shows during the zootv outside broadcast (just missed lovetown- not that I would have flown to europe or australia at 14!)

Agree

I am growing convinced that Lovetown may have been the absolute PEAK of their live performances.

You may be right.

The improvisations, snippets, ad-libs, extended intros and outros, extended edge solos, and perhaps most importantly, the diversity of the setlists from night to night have never been matched by the band since (of course, just my opinion).

Good points. The diversity of the setlists in itself is quite amazing by U2's over-rehearsed standards. I love that one gig where they spontaneously opened with "Bullet The Blue Sky", never to be repeated. Edge was more 'showy' than before or since (a good thing) and Bono played more guitar than usual (Adam and Larry were the same as they were in 1978, or 2008).

Also, the sound quality of lots of recordings seems disproportionately outstanding relative to the time era.

Yeah, maybe. There are several good ones. It's amazing how good the quality of many Japanese gigs is.

My thought is that without a new album to support, and having mastered the JT songs, they were completely free to let loose.

You've nailed it. I think Bono kind of forced the Lovetown tour on the rest of the band, and they all wanted to have some fun with it and lose the pressurized gigs they had on the Joshua Tree-under-a-microscope tour. They intentionally avoided the US and UK.

It was a fascinating period in the band's history because they were aware of the excesses and flubbed ambition (and backlash) of Rattle & Hum, but they were not yet quite at the career-reinvention stage they pursued a year later in Berlin. The whole tour is a bit of a window into the forthcoming 90s' U2.

They were sort of determined to loosen up, but hadn't yet figured out the way to do it.

Oh, and Edge was a long-hair.

paging axver to thread 189721, paging axver to thread 189721!

:lmao:

That said, the more I interact with forum members, and with the accessability of You Tube and re-listening to some other boots I have, I am growing convinced that Lovetown may have been the absolute PEAK of their live performances. The improvisations, snippets, ad-libs, extended intros and outros, extended edge solos, and perhaps most importantly, the diversity of the setlists from night to night have never been matched by the band since (of course, just my opinion).

I'd say this is less opinion and more fact. :wink:

There is pretty much no doubt in my mind that the Lovetown Tour is the pinnacle of U2's career for all the reasons you state, and that the performance of One Tree Hill on 26 December 1989 is the band's single greatest moment (or five minutes, if you will).

Also, the sound quality of lots of recordings seems disproportionately outstanding relative to the time era.

See, I've always thought the Australian leg was a bit poorly represented in that regard. The 18 November 1989, Sydney bootleg sounds fantastic, but a lot of the other shows sound fairly dodgy - all three Brisbane gigs, for instance, and the 27 October 1989, Adelaide boot is the worst quality soundboard bootleg I can think of. The Japanese and European shows tend to sound better on average to me, though I suppose having pretty fantastic soundboard recordings of all four Dublin shows helps out in that regard.

I love that one gig where they spontaneously opened with "Bullet The Blue Sky", never to be repeated.

Actually, Bullet opened ten Lovetown gigs (after opening four on the JT Tour). Are you thinking of In God's Country, which opened the 23 September 1989, Perth show? It's the only song to open just one Lovetown gig. I've always found that to be a terrible shame, since it was a pretty good opener.

Actually, Bullet opened ten Lovetown gigs (after opening four on the JT Tour). Are you thinking of In God's Country, which opened the 23 September 1989, Perth show?

No, I'm just not as aware of minor details as you are.

Anyway, the variance of the setlists was great. There's a happy medium to be found between the U2-structured setlist and the Bob Dylan-random ass-2 seconds to prepare for the song-let's pick a key and make it up-skip 6 verses type of performance.

we NEED a full lovetown show on DVD when and if u2 remasters rattle and hum. i know they have several dates filmed that are locked up in their top secret archive bunker somewhere.

The Sydney show for DVD with Rattle and Hum. It's my favorite Lovetown bootleg, and there is a big competition. There were some truly amazing shows and the performances have an energy that is probably unmatched. The only thing I never did like about Lovetown were the encores with BB King, which I didn't find that great. Especially with Love Rescue Me and When Love Comes To Town, which are one of my least favorite U2 songs.

Fantastic shows. The only downside would be that by 1989 U2 should have been playing longer shows. 90-100 minutes wasn't enough.

Agreed. I've never quite understood why their eighties shows were so short. Up to War, it's excusable, but from the UF Tour onwards, the crowd were honestly getting a bit ripped off.

The only thing I never did like about Lovetown were the encores with BB King, which I didn't find that great. Especially with Love Rescue Me and When Love Comes To Town, which are one of my least favorite U2 songs.

I enjoy some of the BB King encores - WLCTT particularly, which seems to have a bad rep here but I think it's a pretty good song, and I loved the couple of occasions when they did She's A Mystery To Me. But I thoroughly agree with you about Love Rescue Me, which to me is six or so minutes of an insomnia cure.

I was lucky to went to two Love Town shows.

The first one was Amsterdam `89 ( where B lost his voice )
Amazing show coz it was my first ever U2 show and it was cool they almost played a whole show.
Hawkmoon was :drool: as an opener.

The 2nd was the Rotterdam 01-10-90 show.
My fav U2 show I`ve ever seen ( so far ):drool: :drool:
A lot has been talked about that show , so...!

I remember a lot of B.Marley and Beatles songs were played over the P.A. before U2 came on.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Weeks before they came to Amsterdam , the All I Want Is You single was topping the chart in Holland.
Not for All I want Is You but for the b-side Everlasting Love.
That b-side still gets airplay over here.

One thing I rememeber that blew me away was during a performace of Bullet Bono sang the line "11'oclock, tick tock" and Edge played the riff from that song in Bullet style. It was really cool and sounded improvised.

One thing I rememeber that blew me away was during a performace of Bullet Bono sang the line "11'oclock, tick tock" and Edge played the riff from that song in Bullet style. It was really cool and sounded improvised.

That's at the very least from the New Year's show -- easily one of the coolest moments from the night.

He did that during a few Lovetown performances of Bullet. I never made too much of it myself, since I find it a pretty insubstantial inclusion.

Back
Top Bottom