LiveNation to bring concerts to iTunes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynetravis

Blue Crack Supplier
Live Nation hopes to gain a new revenue stream on Tuesday when Apple Inc's iTunes begins to feature downloads of some of the live concerts it promotes.

Apple's iTunes will have a section featuring the concerts of about 20 artists ranging from Jesse McCartney to Ziggy Marley, when the service begins, the companies said in a statement. They expect hundreds of more shows in the coming months. Prices will start at about $7.99 (4.8 pounds).

Los Angeles-based Live Nation will produce most of the offerings from the more than 20,000 concerts it promotes each year. The company has reached licensing rights deals for live performances with major label owners and artists to enable a smooth launch of the service, it said.

Digital technology has made it significantly more cost-effective to produce and distribute concert recordings through online services like iTunes or Amazon.com.

Live Nation did not disclose any financial terms of the agreement, nor did it estimate how much revenue it expects to gain from the venture. But the company's investment risk is expected to be relatively small as it already records many of the show it promotes.

(Reporting by Yinka Adegoke; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)

Filmed concerts come to iTunes in Live Nation deal - Yahoo! News UK

Wonder if the Rose Bowl gig will be available at some point :hmm:

I've been waiting for something like this. I still cannot figure out how more bands don't do things like this. I would totally pay for copies of concerts I went to for most bands.
A lot of bands do it; however they are usually indie or former major-label artists who are able to sell their own stuff without a middle man involved.

I've been waiting for something like this. I still cannot figure out how more bands don't do things like this. I would totally pay for copies of concerts I went to for most bands.

The ironic thing about this is that back in 1997, when I really started following U2 (i.e. Super fan) there was no place to get a live "bootleg" of a concert. The internet was not as common and if you were able to find something to download, it would take 2 days :lol:

I remember going down to a local store in NY, mom & Pop type, and they had bootleg CD's of U2 shows. I bought the 1992 DC concert for $50 and then later that year I bought a bootleg of the Sarajevo concert for about $70. From 1997-2000 I spent hundreds of dollars for bootlegs of U2 shows. The price was very high and the quality was usually average (the DC show was really good). Im sure most of us did this at some point, especially you "old timers" :sexywink:

Anyway, my point is that its ironic that 10 years ago I/we would need to carve out time in our day to go down to that Mom & Pop store in the HOPE that they would have a bootleg of decent quality so that we could drop $50 of our hard earned money on it. Now, we only need to carve out 60 seconds at anytime of the day/night to get a GREAT quality recording of a live show for a mere $10. I now can relate to my parents when they told those "stories" of when they were young. My story goes something like "When I was young I used to have to drive to a store and buy music" .....:doh:

I hope they offer more than one show. But given the control that U2 like to impose upon such things, I'd guess all they'd put on there is the Rose Bowl show.

Back
Top Bottom