Live Nation to buy Principle Management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trojanchick99

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Looks like Paul McGuinness wants to retire to swim through his vault of money Scrooge McDuck style.

U2 will be managed by Guy Oseary now.

ive Nation will purchase two major management companies that it already has close ties with, according to reports. The concert giant will pay more than $30 million for Principle Management, run by U2’s longtime manager Paul McGuinness, and Maverick, the company of Guy Oseary, Madonna’s manager.

Live Nation already has long term concert promotion agreements with both artists. In addition to concerts and ticketing, Live Nation also manages 200 acts through its Artist Nation division.

Oseary would become the day-to-day manager of U2, and McGuinness - who has managed U2 for decades would become chairman, according to the New York Times. Most of the parties involved refused comment, but McGuinness issued a statement:

“It could be seen as slightly poor etiquette for a manager to consider retiring before his artist has split, quit or died, but U2 have never subscribed to the rock and roll code of conduct. As I approach the musically relevant age of 64 I have resolved to take a less hands-on role as the band embark on the next cycle of their extraordinary career. I am delighted that Live Nation, who with Arthur Fogel have been our long term touring partners, have joined us in creating this powerful new force in artist management. I have long regarded Guy Oseary as the best manager of his generation and there is no one else I would have considered to take over the day-to-day running of our business.”

Live Nation To Buy U2, Madonna Management Companies For $30 Million - hypebot

wow! paul mcguinness no longer to manage u2

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/13/b...near-deal-for-management-companies.html?_r=1&

This is big news for the boys. Guess we cant blame ol' Paul for everything any longer

As part of the deal, Live Nation would pay more than $30 million for both Principle Management, the company of U2’s longtime manager, Paul McGuinness, as well as Maverick, run by Guy Oseary, Madonna’s manager, according to these people, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they were not authorized to discuss the deal publicly.

In what would be one of the most surprising shifts in years among the forces behind pop megastars, Mr. Oseary, 41, would take over the day-to-day management of U2. Mr. McGuinness, 62, who has managed U2 almost since its inception — and in doing so became one of the most highly esteemed executives in the music business — would become Principle’s chairman, with a role that was not fully clear.

A spokeswoman for Live Nation declined to comment, and Mr. Oseary could not be reached Tuesday afternoon.

In a statement, Mr. McGuinness said: “It could be seen as slightly poor etiquette for a manager to consider retiring before his artist has split, quit or died, but U2 have never subscribed to the rock and roll code of conduct. As I approach the musically relevant age of 64 I have resolved to take a less hands-on role as the band embark on the next cycle of their extraordinary career. I am delighted that Live Nation, who with Arthur Fogel have been our long term touring partners, have joined us in creating this powerful new force in artist management. I have long regarded Guy Oseary as the best manager of his generation and there is no one else I would have considered to take over the day-to-day running of our business.”

Man, I don't like the sound of this at all, it sounds like they're going to turn even more into a machine.

HUGE event. I guess he has a right to retire before he dies though, right?

I can only hope the new guy pushes the band to release an album every once in a while?

Certainly is a historic day in the history of this band. This forthcoming campaign will certainly mark a big departure from all that was familiar. No Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite, maybe no Anton, no McGuinness. New era indeed.

As long as I still like the music, and get to see them live (or not, honestly), does it matter at all? I can't say I care anymore about motivations or the band's money/management situation. (If I ever cared much at all about it.)

If it doesn't affect the music (which would be doubtful), why should we care? If Paul wants to retire, and the band is cool with that, then good for them.

And honestly, maybe the band is getting near retirement, too. Yeah, they talk a good game about wanting to keep going, but life happens and we all get old and tired.

Edit: I apparently suck at reading - I just saw Guy Oseary would be managing them as well as Madonna. Interesting!

As long as this doesn't mean Bono will be commissioning a self-portrait of himself as a mystical faun to hang over his bed, there's no issue.

Headache raised a truly important question tho: Will PLEBA get a new sex symbol?

Guy_Bio_Photo_crop.jpg

Baby slow down. The end is not as fun as the start.

I think we should all savior what comes next from U2, because this is the first real step to what we all know is coming. Maybe not this year or even next, but we are getting closer to the end.

The 5 equal partners are now just 4 and a manager.

When I usually write that U2 and Madonna have lot in common in their career moves and evolution, as well as "too much" coincidences, this is the kind of things I'm talking about.

Well, I'm very surprised Guy Oseary's taking over. Quite something - now will be managing two of music's powerhouses. He's going to be busier than ever. I always considered Oseary to be the best replacement for Paul McG, if he ever decided to step down. This will be very interesting.

Doesn't Madonna have a somewhat frosty inclination towards U2? :hmm: IIRC, she stormed out of the Grammys once when she lost out in a category to the '2. I don't think I've ever read a quote of either artist being complimentary to the other (which is unusual considering how long they've both been around). Now that they share the same manager, it'll be interesting to see if they warm to each other (probably not).

[QUOTE="lemonfly;]the '2.[/QUOTE]

I can't fully explain why, but every time someone writes this it reminds me of the street "artists" I saw in Vegas this past summer with the "$20 TO KICK ME IN THE BALLS" signs...

(On a more serious note tho, I really fail to see any "Madonna connection". He's a top manager. One of the best in the biz. That he also manages Madonna is incidental)

As long as Live Nation makes U2.com something really worthwhile...

But I don't like this "machinery" thing...
What the hell does U2 own now, really?

I don't think Paul is retiring. The article says that he will become chairman of Principle Mgmt and leave the day to day running to Guy.

Although this is big news considering the fact that we have always seen this fat bald man by U2's side in photos and promo shots etc., will it affect the music at all??

Hopefully it will - Almost everyone on this board has been critical at some stage or another of Paul's style of management and the way he pushes them to write 'hits'. U2 would be the ultimate act to manage - they will sell millions of units regardless, so your job is to not let them become a dad-rock or nostalgia act. DM is a great choice of producer, but really it is more pushing them AWAY from safe, and hopefully Guy has the balls/nous to recognise this.

Back
Top Bottom