Live Nation to buy Principle Management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what to think of this news. I'm a bit surprised, even sad, to think Paul isn't running U2's management affairs any longer, but he will still be involved and I don't think their personal relationship will change much. The new guy is young and dynamic, maybe he can bring some fresh air into the band and the management, hopefully he will bother to make some things better (U2.com, fan communication). Since Paul wasn't much involved in U2's music, I don't think we'll see any artisticall changes coming. Still will be interesting to see the direction all of this will be taking. I think it's a good sign that Paul mentioned the new U2 era coming.

On the other hand, of course, Live Nation is a huge machinery. They have been involved with U2 for some years now, but the thought of them also handling the management now means U2 will become an even "bigger" business, even more open to criticism. Let's not forget that one of Pau's most important decisions, to move part of U2's business to the Netherlands, has lead to a huge amount of controversy. If anything, I guess we'll be seeing more of that, since things are run on an even more corporate level now.

It's not that surprising. A huge (large majority) of their business has long already been handed over to Live Nation, and in all likelihood U2 have done their last record deal. He's older and would have his own interests and investments (I'm thinking some mix of wineries and illicit arms trading) and this 'new' U2 phase is likely also the 'last' U2 phase. This very easily could be last album (his part done), last tour (Live Nation business), and then slide into the Estate Of U2 phase (squeeze the brand for every dollar for ever more - also Live Nation business). He's likely staring down just playing a sort of umbrella oversight role, so why not formalise that. Offload the smaller business with a shrinking remit to the larger business who are already managing an ever growing vast majority of the work and income, hand over any future day to day band/brand deal making to the younger guy who's more in touch with all this 21st century business, slip into this oversight 'Chairman' role and spend more time fondling grapes and selling shiploads of stolen grenade launchers to despots.

They are a big cash machine already.

I absolutely don't believe the band didn't have a say in any of this. We all know they had a special 5-parts-deal with Paul, so I guess they've been involved in this deal from the beginning. Billboard is reporting that the new management are already getting the PR machine for the new U2 album started with a possible Super Bowl announcement. This, at least, is sounding good. Maybe they wanted to wait with the album until the deal was signed so it doesn't interfere with the promotion process.

i think the Super Bowl launch with its corporate brand sponsorships is a horrible idea... there are so many exciting and edgey (scuse the pun) and politically/socially relevant things they could choose to do instead... the days of partnerships with Amnesty and Greenpeace etc. are truly long gone i guess...

i think the Super Bowl launch with its corporate brand sponsorships is a horrible idea... there are so many exciting and edgey (scuse the pun) and politically/socially relevant things they could choose to do instead... the days of partnerships with Amnesty and Greenpeace etc. are truly long gone i guess...

Yes, because the one things automatically excludes the other.

Typically for the majority of the U2 fan community, it's all doom and gloom and "Oh no, this is the beginning of the end" and "bad idea" and so on. Let's just wait and see. We should talk again in a couple of months when the album has been launched.

oh come ON with your defending their every move!

it would hardly be radical and meaningful would it? (unless they were to pull a subversive stunt or something :D )

back on topic though, i'm a bit surprised that Paul McGuinness didn't have a successor from within Principle who could have taken on his role if he was wanting to retire, someone familiar with how the band works day to day, who could have taken the reins so to speak... i mean, i always thought it was a bit of a "family" business... selling to Live Nation is kind of strange...

It's not that surprising. A huge (large majority) of their business has long already been handed over to Live Nation, and in all likelihood U2 have done their last record deal. He's older and would have his own interests and investments (I'm thinking some mix of wineries and illicit arms trading) and this 'new' U2 phase is likely also the 'last' U2 phase. This very easily could be last album (his part done), last tour (Live Nation business), and then slide into the Estate Of U2 phase (squeeze the brand for every dollar for ever more - also Live Nation business). He's likely staring down just playing a sort of umbrella oversight role, so why not formalise that. Offload the smaller business with a shrinking remit to the larger business who are already managing an ever growing vast majority of the work and income, hand over any future day to day band/brand deal making to the younger guy who's more in touch with all this 21st century business, slip into this oversight 'Chairman' role and spend more time fondling grapes and selling shiploads of stolen grenade launchers to despots.

Earnie!!!! How are you man! So good to see you around. Please post more. I hope you're life's going well.

So U2 is going to promote the album in a way that they get a lot of coverage in 1 go?
The bastards.

oh come ON with your defending their every move! it would be hardly radical and meaningful would it? (unless they were to pull a subversive stunt or something :D )

Unless the irony years are back, this superbowl move is a horrible idea.

Here's the Guardian article. I found this piece interesting. I was almost sure that Bono had a hand in negotiating the deal and that the whole band was very much involved in it from the beginning:

According to unnamed sources, U2, who have been managed by McGuinness since 1978, will be managed day to day by Oseary, who will become Principle's chairman. McGuinness stands to make approximately $30m (£18.8m) if the deal – which Bono is said to have played an active role in negotiating – goes ahead.

U2 and Madonna management in negotiations with Live Nation | Music | theguardian.com

(I'm thinking some mix of wineries and illicit arms trading)

Solid. I lol'd :up:

this 'new' U2 phase is likely also the 'last' U2 phase.

:yes: Was it "new" or "next" that he said? Too lazy to check.

He's likely staring down just playing a sort of umbrella oversight role....slip into this oversight 'Chairman' role

Semi-annual shareholders meetings and the odd phone call will be about the extent of it.

selling shiploads of stolen grenade launchers to despots.

I'm in line already.

I've been reading thoughts of this flavor by a few this morning and I don't get it. They've been in bed with corporations for some time now.

Apple, Blackberry..?

Super Bowl commercial? Nothing new

Socially/politically relevant? One? Drop The Debt? etc..

I think we actually do see U2 make even more 'statement music' and get even more involved in relevant issues...but the flip side of that is there will be an incredible number of people - both here and elsewhere - who will complain about that even moreso than they have in the past.

This is huge. I can understand Paul's need to retire due to his age. But a band of 50-somethings "launching a new phase of their career" with a new young manager just seems silly at this point. I'm not a huge fan of McGuinness, but there's great history and respect there between him and the band and I wish he could have stuck it out for one more album and tour. That may be all U2 has left.

I don't think their main intention was to launch the new phase of their career with a new manager. I just think Paul McG suddenly decided to step down. And I doubt the band threw him out, in search for a younger manager. If they did, I would be even more surprised. In my opinion, he could have been around for one more album and tour, but I'm sure he'll still be involved in some way. :shrug:

I don't think their main intention was to launch the new phase of their career with a new manager. I just think Paul McG suddenly decided to step down. And I doubt the band threw him out, in search for a younger manager. If they did, I would be even more surprised. In my opinion, he could have been around for one more album and tour, but I'm sure he'll still be involved in some way. :shrug:

I don't think that is U2's intention, either. But it seems to be what a lot of people on the forums are saying. They're trying to put a positive spin on it as if this signals the beginning of a new day for U2. I rather think U2 is just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation.

I don't think there's bad blood between the band and McGuinness (the news reports suggest that Bono even helped broker this deal in Paul's favor). It just seems like a really unfortunate time for him to step down. He's been the 5th member of U2 since 1978, for better or worse, and it's just sad to see that era end. There's no one to blame, really. This is just what happens to bands when they're nearing the end of their lifespan. The fact that it gives LiveNation an even bigger stake in the U2 camp is just another punch in the gut.

There might be personal reasons on Paul's part involved, some people have said he's having health problems, so who knows. I absolutely don't believe that anyone in U2 tried to "throw" him out, I don't think there's any bad blood between them. He's 10 years older than the band members, it's his right to step down and take a more quiet approach on life. But I agree, it's sad to see him go, it's the end of an era.

There might be personal reasons on Paul's part involved, some people have said he's having health problems, so who knows. I absolutely don't believe that anyone in U2 tried to "throw" him out, I don't think there's any bad blood between them. He's 10 years older than the band members, it's his right to step down and take a more quiet approach on life. But I agree, it's sad to see him go, it's the end of an era.

Yes... Some posters on a message board have made his diagnosis. So hey! Must be some truth to it!

Back
Top Bottom