Live Moments In U2's History That Still Bring A Lump In Your Throat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just last night I watched 'Kite' from 'U2 Go Home'...I've never been the biggest fan of ATYCLB or that era in general, but that moment gets to me.

"Communication...communication...talk to each other"

Discotheque snippet on the 360 tour kidding

Bad still gets to me when I hear it live. That song live pretty much sums up why we love U2 so much.

Just last night I watched 'Kite' from 'U2 Go Home'...I've never been the biggest fan of ATYCLB or that era in general, but that moment gets to me.

Yeah really a moving rendition for sure.

Bad still gets to me when I hear it live. That song live pretty much sums up why we love U2 so much.

Any particular performance of it? Or all of em?

:drool:

Bullitt --> RTSS --> Streets

One --> Peace On Earth/Walk On --> Hallelujah

Please --> Bad--> Streets

OTH---> WOWY --> 40

LNOE---> UTEOTW--->IGWSHA

ASOH--> Bad --> October

^

This.

For some reason Edge's emotions always really stood out to me here. The look on his face at 5:24-5:30 or so is so naked, so honest...he's feeling it as deeply as possible for his mate and it's probably one of the most real moments I've ever seen on concert footage. At 5:42 it honestly looks like he gulps back a huge sob of his own.

The Vertigo 5th leg versions destroy all Elevation renditions.

I would say the whole performance (all three songs - Bullet, RTSS, Streets), including the transitions in between, is the finest moment in U2 history.

I said this just last week, yes.

The transition from Please to Streets on several Popmart shows AND the versions of ONE from the Mexico DVD. Whilst I'm sharing the love for One, also the version from Slane when the camera cuts to the attractive girl singing along and the dude in the hat is wobbling around in the background.

The live version of Mercy from the 360 tour puts a lump in my throat, but it's just the food I'm in the process of vomiting out.

You couldn't enjoy the verses at least? I was as gutted as anyone they dropped the bridge and massacred the chorus with the "you wanna kill me" and "because because because" garbage, but the verses sounded incredible to me.

I saw it live, paired with Bad, and it was breathtaking. Ever since I've thought to myself how transcendent non-neutered Mercy followed by Bad would be.

One and Streets from Slane Castle. I don't even know why, but both versions are just amazing. Plus, the aforementioned Running to Stand Still into Streets from ZooTV is something special.

That time Bono let a bit of gas out during Mysterious Ways and then gave Adam a half cocked smile about it. Ah, friendship.

So surprised nobody mentioned Streets' intros from 360 tour.
Chills up my spine anytime I hear Amazing Grace, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow or Hallelujah with Bono's voice vanishing into Edge's riff. And the Red Screen.
Just amazing.
I do hope they don't ditch these epic transitions/intros on the next tour

oh yes.....I do get goosebumps every time I hear/see that.

I'm glad Im not the only one! I get this 'chill', 'tingle', whatever, right in my back whenever I watch almost any live performance of Streets. This is an actual real physical feeling.

I wonder if it's like seratonin or something...I've 'heard' that it's similar to the rush you get from some substances.. :wink:

Exit - Gloria from Rattle and Hum? I just find the performance so dark and emotional.

The Bad - AIWIY - Bullet transition from ZooTV is up there too.

There are so many moving moments in U2's live performance history. To me the most iconic moment was the leap at Live Aid. I can't remember anthing like that happening before that concert. That was an OMG moment. It really showed Bono's humanity for that poor girl that was being crushed.

So, some other moments that have left an impression on me:

This is an audio of One from the Tacoma show from April 21, 1992. This one to me is very emotional. I love the high F# Bono hits in falsetto voice towards the end. I haven't found a live video of this performance yet.
U2 - One (Live Tacoma 92 GREAT VERSION!!) - YouTube

The next is With or Without from Sao Paulo 1998. This video wrenches at my heart. The whole exchange between Bono and the fan is intense. He seems so broken up at around 1:30 that he can't get the words out. He also seems to be crying.....:sad: (or he's sweating). In either case it's very moving.
U2 - With Or Without You - Popmart Live From Sao Paulo 1998 - YouTube

I think that version of Dirty Day posted above is one of my new faves. I've never seen it before.

What a great band. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom