Live medleys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
We've been asked to list medleys on U2gigs for quite some time. A couple of past attempts foundered because the code was causing too many headaches. Then last week I recalled the curious results of mistakes I had made in the past when entering setlists in a hurry, made one such "mistake" deliberately, and discovered that it provides the basis for a much easier way to make medleys work.

It's not live yet, but hopefully will be soon. In short, we will now be able to list two songs on the same line without needing to mark one as a snippet. Say a setlist with 19 other songs also has An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart. At the moment, that pushes it out to 21 songs, even though those two tracks are inseparable. Soon, the setlist will run to 20 songs, with An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart on one line - BUT each song will still count as a performance, not a snippet. On the concert page, it will count 2 songs from Boy, not 1. The tour page likewise. Each song will link to its individual song page, on which that date will appear as a regular performance rather than a snippet, and count towards that song's total performances.

The reason I make this thread is to catalogue examples of medleys. I have the following:

- All instances of An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
- All instances of The Cry / The Electric Co.
- All I Want Is You / Bad on 1989-10-20
- Bad / The First Time, 2005-09-21
- Pump It Up / Get on Your Boots, 2009-09-15 (Elvis Costello's show Spectacle)
- She's the One / Desire, 2009-09-23
- possibly some instances of Peace on Earth / Walk On from Elevation's third leg, I'm not sure (soon we should also be able to tag a song as an "abbreviated version", which may suit Peace on Earth better)
- possibly MLK / Streets at the Superb Owl, again unsure

Can anybody suggest any more?

The lines between an extended snippet and a medley might be a bit blurry - I haven't defined the boundary, and I'm not sure it can be articulated clearly. For the present I will err on the side of snippet. No matter how much of a song Bono sings, I am very unlikely to change a snippet to a medley if the band keep playing the music of the other song. To count as a full performance, it can't just be Bono crapping on.

I wouldn't list An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart as a medley. They're two separate songs on the album. I'm fine with them being separate, everyone knows they flow in and out of each other anyway. I wouldn't like to see them listed on the same line.

Bad / WILATW from that Elevation gig I would count as a medley.

All I wanna see though is Do You Hear Us Coming listed like Shine Like Stars.

It won't say "medley". It will just be the two songs on the same line. That means the new feature can cover both ACD / ITH, and blended songs like that Lovetown instance of AIWIY / Bad. But I've always wanted ACD / ITH on one line, because they cannot be played separately - it's not just that they are closely related, like Bullet and RTSS, but that the band simply can't do one without the other. Cry / Electric Co. bugs me more for blowing out the length of the set, but I've always desired this treatment for ACD / ITH too. Literally the only thing it affects is whether the set appears as 20 lines or 21; 21 separate songs are still counted.

And I promise you Hear Us Coming is, uh, coming. If anybody wants to listen through some bootlegs, the door's open for volunteers - I can provide some tour legs that haven't been checked yet.

Desire with Hawkmoon 269 and Running to Stand Still in Cologne 2001, if that fits.

The Wanderer in Nashville.

Yep. Definitely exceeds a snippet, two and a half minutes' worth.

Desire with Hawkmoon 269 and Running to Stand Still in Cologne 2001, if that fits.

Good call. RTSS will have to get a full listing. Bono sings quite a lot of the lyrics, Edge switches to RTSS's chords, and Bono gets the crowd to chant part of it. Hawkmoon is more marginal - Bono sings about a minute and a half of Hawkmoon, but the band plays Desire throughout. Not sure whether to keep it as a snippet or not.

When I saw them in Alabama in 1992, they ran ISHFWILF straight into Stand By Me with no break in-between. Does that count?

When I saw them in Alabama in 1992, they ran ISHFWILF straight into Stand By Me with no break in-between. Does that count?

Oh yeah, I'll have to revisit those ZooTV shows, see if those should be counted as a medley rather than separate songs with a segue.

AOH and Suspicious Minds? I'm sure there's at least 1 version where they play a good few minutes of SM

Hmm, I can't think off the top of my head of instances that would be long enough, but worth checking.

Oh man I've only ever been to three shows and they did that at one of them. Was it really a one-time thing?

Yep, that's literally the only live appearance of any sort for When I Look at the World.

They do a fair bit of Suspicious minds at the December 26, 1989 gig. At least a full verse and the horns play along with it. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom