Listening to an entire tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
To keep myself occupied until NLOTH (and for a bit thereafter, presumably), I'm listening to the entire Vertigo Tour... or as much as I can stand. Has anyone tried doing something like before?

I don't think I could do that...
but what the flying fuck??? ...you have bootlegs of the entire tour???

As part of snippet-checking for U2gigs.com, yeah, I've listened to entire tours, or as much of a tour as you can in cases where not that many bootlegs exist.

Lovetown is easily the most rewarding tour to listen to in its entirety. The JT Tour would be right up there too if it weren't for a part of the third leg where the set gets really static for about a month and you get to a point where the shows start to blur together.

As part of snippet-checking for U2gigs.com, yeah, I've listened to entire tours, or as much of a tour as you can in cases where not that many bootlegs exist.

Lovetown is easily the most rewarding tour to listen to in its entirety. The JT Tour would be right up there too if it weren't for a part of the third leg where the set gets really static for about a month and you get to a point where the shows start to blur together.

I want your job. :D

Wow... you must have some fast internet connection... :ohmy:. I mean, it would take me a year to download all that...
Good luck with that.... I've never been into hearing live performances, unless the songs have some signifcant change, like MW.

Wow... you must have some fast internet connection... :ohmy:
Good luck with that.... I've never been into hearing live performances, unless the songs have some signifcant change, like MW.

I just have a normal cable connection... but I can get a gig in ten minutes or so, and download other gigs in the background as I listen to others.

I just have a normal cable connection... but I can get a gig in ten minutes or so, and download other gigs in the background as I listen to others.

Mine is cable too, but it sucks, since it takes me an hour to get a gig. :doh:
Won't you get bored listening to these? I mean, I wouldn't be able to hear NYD every night, and worst, live. :wink:

I want your job. :D

Trust me when I say it can get pretty tiring! I really enjoyed doing some tours, but others got damn tedious after a while. I'd want to keep plowing ahead to find more snippets and things, but I had to pause so that I didn't lose the fun of it all.

Okay... I'm listening to San Diego now, and I understand how this can get tiring... maybe I should ditch Vertigo, despite how much I love it as a tour, and do Lovetown, instead? Only problem is that I'd be missing out on my beloved 90s.

I dont think I could listen to an entire tour in one sitting.. I would get bored listening to the same setlist over and over again. :reject:

Okay... I'm listening to San Diego now, and I understand how this can get tiring... maybe I should ditch Vertigo, despite how much I love it as a tour, and do Lovetown, instead? Only problem is that I'd be missing out on my beloved 90s.

Vertigo has pretty decent setlist variety, so it should still be fairly enjoyable - though that may depend on how much you've heard already. Parts of the first and third leg have good enough variety that playing multiple shows back-to-back doesn't get as mindnumbingly tedious as, say, most of Popmart.

But yeah, I'd always recommend Lovetown as the ideal tour for listening to multiple shows. The setlist diversity, not to mention the top form the band were in, make each show a bit more distinct than on many other tours.

A fun thing to do... except it gets tiresome when you realise that Bono even says more or less the same stuff in between songs from one night to the next. You get so entrenched in it that not only do you know the next song (that's easy with U2's predictable setlists) but also what Bono is going to say. I recall one of Bono's Zoo TV quotes... 'the hardest thing is to make it look spontaneous'.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh... I listened to the first San Diego... now onto the second San Diego...

When someone finds your body what song from which show you think will be playing?

When someone finds your body what song from which show you think will be playing?

SYCMIOYO, from some third leg show. Seriously, that song is shit on the album and was shit until the fifth leg of the tour. Listening it played shittily 100+ times from April 05 to March 06 is going to be murder. BUT IT'S WORTH IT. For whatever reason.

Imagine how annoyed you must be of all the old warhorses being played on the new tour, just having listened to them being played on hundreds of vertigo shows.

SYCMIOYO, from some third leg show. Seriously, that song is shit on the album and was shit until the fifth leg of the tour. Listening it played shittily 100+ times from April 05 to March 06 is going to be murder. BUT IT'S WORTH IT. For whatever reason.

:lol:

I :heart: SYCMIOYO... my problem is with SBS and NYD, especially NYD...

SYCMIOYO, from some third leg show. Seriously, that song is shit on the album and was shit until the fifth leg of the tour.

I'm with you, except I'd say the fifth leg versions were bollocks too. Utterly dreary, boring song.

I don't know what problem people have with NYD though. It's one of the old warhorses that actually doesn't sound like balls live, perhaps because the distinctive bass and piano/guitar are just as distinctive as they've ever been and they make the song, regardless of how much Bono sounds like cardboard.

I'm with you, except I'd say the fifth leg versions were bollocks too. Utterly dreary, boring song.

I don't know what problem people have with NYD though. It's one of the old warhorses that actually doesn't sound like balls live, perhaps because the distinctive bass and piano/guitar are just as distinctive as they've ever been and they make the song, regardless of how much Bono sounds like cardboard.

I absolutely love New Years Day live. It's a song that doesn't wear thin to quickly which is also good. Have they done an acoustic variety of New Years Day?

Pride, Streets (unless I'm at the show), One, Bullet, Still Haven't Found and WOWY I can do without. Although I still very much enjoy them

I absolutely love New Years Day live. It's a song that doesn't wear thin to quickly which is also good. Have they done an acoustic variety of New Years Day?

Pride, Streets (unless I'm at the show), One, Bullet, Still Haven't Found and WOWY I can do without. Although I still very much enjoy them

There is no acoustic version of NYD, though there is a version from a Japanese TV show where Edge's guitar fails and he plays most of the guitar parts on piano!

I'm largely with you on the rest. I've no problem if Streets stays, and if Bullet's like it was on ZooTV or Elevation then I'm happy for it to remain too, but I honestly don't think Pride, One, ISHFWILF, or WOWY are really played to a quality that justifies them staying in the set any more.

And replace them with Promenade, Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, Do You Feel Loved and Electrical Storm and it could be interesting. Although the casual fan might not be impressed

Back
Top Bottom