Lets talk about Yahweh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
So I've come across Yahweh a lot on my iPod recently and while I know this song and the album from which it comes are regarded as terrible by some I really do enjoy this song. What I'd like to know is of the three versions of Yahweh which is your favorite? The three versions are (1) the version that appears on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, (2) the version that appers on Medium, Rare, and Remastered, and (3) the acoustic version that was played on the Vertigo Tour. In case you haven't heard these I'd love to post a YouTube link but I can't from my phone so if someone can please do that. Thank you!

I much prefer the alt. version that is on MR&R. The drums sound amazing and the song really seems to come to life in this version where as the album version sort of just drifts. As with Yahweh I know many people also like the alt versions of ABOY and Vertigo better as well. I think this should have been on the album. The acoustic version is great too and is my second fav. I was just listening to it and I absolutely love the way it was done. I've read a number of people who really love this version here. The album version is last. Still nice to me but from the others it's really far behind. There is no power that you get from the MR&R version. The guitar work on that version was greatly improved as well.

I haven't heard option 2, but while I love the album version, live it was soooo amazing for me, a highlight of the show. In fact, I remember my second show on the Vertigo tour (and my 2nd U2 show period, actually) I was so anxious for them to play it, because I was really excited for my to hear it. Just a silly/cute little moment for me in my memory. It was fun.

I've listened to both versions so many times, but still love the album version best and am glad it's the one they went with. The acoustic version is pretty and was great for the tour and perfect for ending U23D, but I can't compare it to the other two really as far as ranking. It's apples and oranges for me when you take a song and perform it acoustic. It's good in its own way.

Really great song :)

And I love the animation they put to it.

YouTube - U2 - Yahweh

just the animation here in a shortened version of the song

YouTube - U2 "Yahweh"

The Alternate version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hAULVUaQI

A recording from U23D in a movie theater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTjK5E_9Afw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jd493uefhw&feature=related

the live version is cute, but gets boring

the album version... I really like it. The first time I heard it, I was in heaven with that track, and it was a great way (I thought) of ending the album (unlike snooze-fests like Cedars and Grace)

I really think they should have played it for real, but I got the "let's go to the tip of the ramp and play all 4" thing

I've read about the version from U23D and a lot of people claim it to be stunning. I've been really curios as to what that performance was like. I'll be checking out those videos of it right now. I really wish I'd gone to see it when it came out.

I'm...not a fan of the album version, to say the least. However, the acoustic version worked really well as an ending song for U2 3D, so I'll go with that.

I love the accoustic live version. Not because it's accoustic, but the way the crowd joins in is amazing. They're singing the albummelody and Bono is singing a different tone. (I don't know how to visualise this)

I had to post in this thread just to say... bonocomet, the second video you posted... oh man, that was awesome. :wave:
Oh, and i love the album version of yahweh, the bridge (i think that's the right term) is really something to me.

I had to post in this thread just to say... bonocomet, the second video you posted... oh man, that was awesome. :wave:
Oh, and i love the album version of yahweh, the bridge (i think that's the right term) is really something to me.

The animation is really great! I've always wondered exactly where this animation comes from (this actual piece of video), since there's no official video for the song. I even asked here on this site years ago, but I still don't know.

I kinda hate the song but the live versions are pretty good. The studio versions just show everything that's wrong with 2000's (and especially HTDAAB) U2. Don't get me wrong, I love 2000's U2 but this is way too cheesy for my liking.

"Yahweh" was a song that helped me a lot through a difficult time of my love. And it is strange because I'm an atheist, but everytime I listened to that song back then, those notes made me feel well.
It's probably one of the few songs of the past decade where the chimy-guitar is really well made and works well in my opinion.
Maybe that's why I prefer the album version (even though it doesn't have that "take these blue eyes and make them see" part which I like). The stripped live version ended resulting as well, specially because it was a closer (or quasi-closer) most of the times.

Will always love this song. Not even b/c I'm a blind follower of U2 (which I am). The lyrics ring so true to me, and I think it's one of the more musically interesting songs on the album. I agree with whoever said that U2 should have played a full band version live. I'd love to hear what that sounded like. I also wish they would've tried Crumbs for your table more than a handful of times.

I like the album version better than the alternate one...but the version in U23D blows them both out of the water, for me. It was a striking and moving performance, especially with the cool 3D animation thing.

People were leaving the theatre cause the movie was "over" and I was thinking, no, NO, come back it's not over! :lol:

This song is so bad that after listening to it I became an atheist.

:D

just kidding, but only about the atheist part

By coincidence I listened to this coming to work this morning.
Such a great song, though Bono overdoes it on some of the choruses.
Beautiful thought and message. :applaud:

if the chorus had been slightly better lyrically it might have been my favourite U2 album closer

The animation is really great! I've always wondered exactly where this animation comes from (this actual piece of video), since there's no official video for the song. I even asked here on this site years ago, but I still don't know.

A production company called Spontaneous based in New York did the animation for Yahweh and also the music video for Original of the Species. They have a website showing music videos and other work as well.

A production company called Spontaneous based in New York did the animation for Yahweh and also the music video for Original of the Species. They have a website showing music videos and other work as well.

Well thank you! My question answered at last! :) Thanks very much!

I'm...not a fan of the album version, to say the least. However, the acoustic version worked really well as an ending song for U2 3D, so I'll go with that.

Same here.

the album version... I really like it. The first time I heard it, I was in heaven with that track, and it was a great way (I thought) of ending the album (unlike snooze-fests like Cedars and Grace)

It's exactly the opposite for me. I really don't like the album version and am happy that my version of the album ends with Fast Cars. Yahweh is not a good closing track, unlike great tracks like Grace and Cedars Of Lebanon. Yes, I really like Grace. :)

I can agree on Grace. Great track. I vehemently disagree on Cedars, it bores me to tears and I can never get through it.

Yahweh is somewhere in the middle for me. I actually wouldn't mind seeing it on a disc 2 Best Of. :shrug:

Live, Yahweh is probably one of U2's finer live closing moments imo.

Back
Top Bottom