Let's Discuss -- Early '80s U2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
Regarding everything from 1980 to 1983:

1) What is the best A-side single in this period?

2) What is the best B-side?

3) What is best album-track from this period?

3) What is the best overall album (from three studio LPs and one live) and why?

alb001-01.gif

alb002-04.gif

alb003-04.gif

alb004-04.gif

4) For those in the know, what is the best bootleg available from this period?

5) What are your overall thoughts and impressions of this early period of U2? How does it compare to other periods? How well/badly has this material aged?

6) Which member had the worst hair in this period?

1.jpg

u2chi01ab12.jpg

corbijnPA_u23.jpg

(Last question is optional.)

do we get to see your nipples at the end?

1) New Year's Day
2) Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop?)
3) Boy. much more consistent throughout than October and War, and also contains three or four songs which i reckon are absolute U2 classics.
5) there's a lot of really good-to-great material that was released, but there's a fair amount of pretty shitty stuff as well. for energy and rawness it can't really be beaten as an era.
6) if anyone says Adam Clayton i'll hunt you down and maim you.

1.)New Year's Day
2.)Party Girl
3.)War for me. SBS, NYD, Two Hearts Beat As One and 40 and those are only the better known ones! Never mind Like A Song, The Refugee, Surrender, Seconds and Drowning Man! I would say everything on it is brilliant with the exception of Red Light, which is just kind of there. Not as bad as some other track choices they have made, though. Boy runs pretty close and October is half great, half not bad.

3A.) Best album track: Another Time, Another Place or Like A Song.

4.)There are alot, too lazy to look right now and truly recall, but a show on The War tour at Brown University in Providence sticks in my mind! As does the first Boston show at the Paradise in 1980 and a show in Minneapolis on Boy in the Spring of 1981.

5.)I like this period a lot. U2 at its raw and energetic peak, with a clearly unique sound that is developing right before our eyes. To me, it has a truly brilliant and rare combination of youthful angst and energy and deep, meaningful yet universally appealing lyrics.

Where the hell else do you get an 18-23 yr old guy writing lyrics like:

"I fought fate there's blood on the garden gate, the man said childhood, sin and childhood, one day I'll day the choice will not be mine, will it be too late, you can't fight fate."

"Under a Blood Red Sky, a crowd is gathered in black and white, arms intertwined, the chosen few, newspaper says, says, say its true, its true, and we can break through, though torn in two we can be one."

"And the battle's just begun, there's many lost but tell me who has won, the trench is dug within our hearts, and mothers, children, brothers sisters torn apart."

Those are just the highlights.

This era I think stacks up extremely well, it was U2 being U2 when that was truly breaking the mold, not safe at all, not a sure thing but sticking to their guns and letting their passion drive them. They were blazing their own trail at great risk to their artistic and financial future. The energy and especially the profoundness and universal appeal of many of the lyrics coming from such young guys is what still really strikes me.

Its a shame U2 has forgotten that this period ever existed with the 360 tour.

5.)Edge had the worst hair, Adam's was just Adam being the fucking man end of story, Bono's was Bono's and Larry, well, has always looked the exact same.

I pretty much agree with everything U2387 said above, but anyway I'll answer my own Qs...

What is the best A-side single in this period?

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" was a 45 in the US/Canada and elsewhere at the time, so I'll go with that one. If that doesn't count, then probably "New Year's Day". (But sometimes I think "Gloria" is better.)

What is the best B-side?

Agree -- "Party Girl". Has the added bonus of being an early 'funny' U2 track. "Endless Deep" is also very good. (The rest I find pretty crap.)

What is best album-track from this period?

"Electric Company", "I Threw a Brick Through a Window", or "Drowning Man".

What is the best overall album (from three studio LPs and one live) and why?

Agree with U2387 -- War. Some parts of it haven't aged well, and it might not be quite as consistent as Boy (though much more so than October), but it shifts into a lot of different gears than the first two albums and has much more diversity. Boy is indeed a close second, but, as with many very young bands, they really had just one color on their pallette there (albeit it was a beautiful color).

For those in the know, what is the best bootleg available from this period?

Thanks for the tips U2387; I'll check those out. The one I know from this period that I liked was a show from (I think) Albany, NY in late 1981. Some fine singing there!

What are your overall thoughts and impressions of this early period of U2? How does it compare to other periods? How well/badly has this material aged?

Again, I agree with everything U2387 said. So, refer to his post...

Which member had the worst hair in this period?

Edge all the way. Yet, looking back, I'm sure he savours the memory of actually having some...

I pretty much agree with everything U2387 said above, but anyway I'll answer my own Qs...

What is the best A-side single in this period?

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" was a 45 in the US/Canada and elsewhere at the time, so I'll go with that one. If that doesn't count, then probably "New Year's Day". (But sometimes I think "Gloria" is better.)

What is the best B-side?

Agree -- "Party Girl". Has the added bonus of being an early 'funny' U2 track. "Endless Deep" is also very good. (The rest I find pretty crap.)

What is best album-track from this period?

"Electric Company", "I Threw a Brick Through a Window", or "Drowning Man".

What is the best overall album (from three studio LPs and one live) and why?

Agree with U2387 -- War. Some parts of it haven't aged well, and it might not be quite as consistent as Boy (though much more so than October), but it shifts into a lot of different gears than the first two albums and has much more diversity. Boy is indeed a close second, but, as with many very young bands, they really had just one color on their pallette there (albeit it was a beautiful color).

For those in the know, what is the best bootleg available from this period?

Thanks for the tips U2387; I'll check those out. The one I know from this period that I liked was a show from (I think) Albany, NY in late 1981. Some fine singing there!

What are your overall thoughts and impressions of this early period of U2? How does it compare to other periods? How well/badly has this material aged?

Again, I agree with everything U2387 said. So, refer to his post...

Which member had the worst hair in this period?

Edge all the way. Yet, looking back, I'm sure he savours the memory of actually having some...

Thanks alot and thanks for the thread!

Great topic!

Your singles choices make me clarify something. I put NYD on top, but SBS, Gloria, I Will Follow and 2 Hearts all are not too far behind.

Also, yes, Brick and Drowning Man are spectacular album tracks!

1) New Years Day definitly. A real classic.
3)Boy. I think it's a very consistent album, much more so than War and October. I'd rate October second and War last. Yes they only got worse in the beginning.:wink: Except for Shadows And Tall Trees I like every song on Boy and there are too much songs I don't like on War and October, though the highlights on War are better than those on Boy.
3)Drowning Man.
5)Well it's my least favourite U2 era but it's still pretty good. They really showed there energy and potential then but the music was hit and miss sometimes.
6)Larry

5) What are your overall thoughts and impressions of this early period of U2? How does it compare to other periods? How well/badly has this material aged?

1) New Year's Day

2) Treasure

3) With A Shout. I love the energy and Bono's vocals.

4) Wow, tough question. The Boston show from the War tour, which I believed was part of the Complete U2, was great. The October Tour show from Lido Beach, New York was also great.

5) The material has not aged well but I think that makes it even more enjoyable. The energy and passion overshadow everything else, at least for me. It was a fun period that had moments that foreshadowed what the band was capable of. It does not compare well with the rest of the decade or the 90's but like a lot of artists, the youthful beginnings continue to fascinate people.

1. This is tough for me, but I like New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday.
2. Party Girl
3. Best album for me is War...this was the first U2 album I ever owned. A very brilliant album like U2387 stated. As for best song, love Another Time Another Place, Tomorrow, New Year's Day, and Drowning Man.
5. Love the U2 material from this period. Every album has an identity of its own. Again, U2387 states it all. U2's music was raw, energetic, passionate, and thought provoking in a time when music was popsy, quirky, and happy.

not sure why people think Party Girl was the best b-side... remember we are sticking to studio versions here. the live version is great, but the studio version of Party Girl is atrocious... it's Treasure hands down.

Electric Co. & Drowning Man the best album tracks.

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. Kind of a hard one. IMO not their finest Bside hour...but I'll go with Treasure. I have a soft spot for Touch, but I'd have to be insane to say it was the "best".
3. No way can I pick one...from Boy, Out of Control. From October, Tomorrow. From War, SBS.
3(a?). Boy is the best, I think. It has a certain feel to it, as an album, moreso than the others (although they do). Not Bono's best lyric writing, which is to be understood, but as a package, everything works together beautifully. It's actually my second favorite album.
4. I actually have a lot. The two that always stand out for me are the one from The Ritz in March of 82 (the second night, can't remember the date), and the one from Boston, the date of which has totally left me but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
5. As far as how well the music has aged, I guess that's an opinion, and my opinion is well. Overall, the "early days" is one of my favorite eras, coming in second to JT. But it's like I have a special love for it. Everyone else has said it, the raw energy and hunger of the music they made in this period is a defining factor. Obviously, albums they made with more experience under their belts were "better". But that doesn't stop me from liking Boy in particular more than almost all of them.
6. There is no answer to this question other than Adam. As if the yellow cotton candy fro wasn't bad enough, he did this one day:
adamfronytail4.jpg

What is that? :yikes:

why not.

11 o'clock tick tock

twilight demo. no really, i'm not much of a fan of any of the b-sides from this era. endless deep is good but it's not good enough for me to call it the best. so i'll go with the so bad it's...bad.

seconds.

two #3s? :wink: oh and the album photos don't load. :reject: anyway...

boy, definitely.

i dunno. i guess i'll pick red rocks because it's the only one i ever listen to.

it's okay. it's not my favourite, but i'd probably rank it second, under 1991-1997 u2.

idk they were all okay really. adam's afro is the best but really the rest all kinda sorta had the same hairstyle.

1. New Year's day

2. Treasure

3. Like a song (by a long shot)

4. BOY

5. Don't know really, don't have a lot of complet bootleg. But some festivals are pretty good

6. Well, to me this is the real U2 in terms of energy. I could give away my 5 Vertigo concert for 1 in 83....really would love to see them at that time. The energy is unreal, Bono is a beast and Larry was hitting his drums like a madman, I like it! I would love them play a bit more material of that era. (was cool on Vertigo, must admit!).
BOY stay in my top 3 album, right after AB and JT. War has aged more than the 2 previous album I think, even though Like a song is the best think they've done of that era.

7. All of them had pretty bad haircuts.... I'll have to go with Larry and his flat haircut... :)

Good calls above on "Two Hearts Beat as One" (single) and "Like a Song" (LP track). Those are both great, and seem to have been forgotten today. "Two Hearts" is actually quite an important record in U2's history, but has kinda been swept under the rug.

To make this easier for future posters, you can copy and paste this (numbering corrected):

4) What is the best overall album (from 3 studio LPs and 1live) and why?

5) What is the best bootleg available from this period?

6) Overall thoughts and impressions of this early period? -- How does it compare to other periods? -- How well/badly has this material aged?

7) Which member had the worst hair in this period?

I Will Follow

Treasure

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart

Too tough to call... Sometimes I think Boy, others War, and then there are those times when I realize that October really is great, even with its flaws.

Paradise Theatre, Boston, 1980

6) Overall thoughts and impressions of this early period? -- How does it compare to other periods? -- How well/badly has this material aged?
This is the era when U2's sound stayed roughly the same over the course of three albums. I love the passion and the energy and the spiritual fervor. U2 has tried to recreate that with recent albums (esp. ATYCLB and HTDAAB), but it's not quite possible because they aren't young any more.

Adam

New Year's Day

Treasure, followed closely by Touch

New Year's Day

War. Boy is consistently good throughout, but War has a few stand-outs (SBS, NYD) that really showcase the band's maturity, passion, and the band's Edge's talent.

1980-10-14 Hilversum (Electric Co. is mad)
1981-03-06 Boston
1981-11-22 New York
1981-11-28 Los Angeles
1982-03-17 New York
1982-12-06 London
1983-05-05 Boston
1983-05-06 Boston
Red Rocks

Of these, 1981-03-06 Boston is my favorite, both sound and performance.

Edge.

New Year's Day

Treasure

Like A Song

3A) What is the best overall album (from 3 studio LPs and 1 live) and why?
Boy because of its amazing consistency.

5) Overall thoughts and impressions of this early period? -- How does it compare to other periods? -- How well/badly has this material aged?
This is my second favourite U2 era, just after the era which followed it. Of all of the eras, I think this era has aged the best, because the post-punk stylings are pretty timeless. Listen to the radio and you'll hear sounds similar to I Will Follow, guitarwise.

Adam

1. New Years Day. Hands down.
2. Good question. Is 'A Celebration' technically a B-side? If so, easily that.
Outside of that, I can't think of one I like a lot. Party Girl, I guess.
3. War, because my ears work.
4. Never owned enough from this era to make a pick.
5. They just weren't very good before War. There were shining moments, maybe a half dozen really good songs.
6. You mean besides Adam?

Missed a question because chesty can't count.
3.5 I really like An Cat Dubh, Threw A Brick and Drowning Man.
But an honorable mention goes to the most underrated U2 song ever.

I can't edit for some reason...it deserves it's own post anyway.
Honorable mention was The Refugee. Fuck yeah, I said it.

Ee-oh, ee-oh-oh
Ee-oh, ee-oh-OOO-oh

1.New Year's Day
2.Sunday Bloody Sunday
3.11 O'Clock Tick Tock
4.Gloria/I Will Follow

Party Girl

Tie: Like A Song/Drowning Man

This was a little tougher than I thought it would be. I love Boy. It's still one of the most cohesive and energetic records they've ever released, and there isn't really a weak track there - it's all very good, from tracks such as Twilight, Stories For Boys, The Ocean, A Day Without Me, Another Time Another Place, Shadows And Tall Trees(one of my favorite U2 closers), to tracks like I Will Follow, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Out Of Control, and The Electric Co. that have still owned live in recent years - I honestly think Boy is one of the better debut rock albums ever released. You can really tell that they could be something special. I do still wish 11 O'Clock Tick Tock had made it onto the album.

War is a stone cold classic, it's when the world started taking notice of them, it's when U2 "found their voice", so-to-speak. Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day are legitimately all-time great rock songs. People start singing "40" at the end of concerts to this day, whether U2 have actually played it or not. Like someone else said, Two Hearts Beat As One is an important song in U2's history. I dig Seconds, The Refugee, and Surrender, too, they all have this weird aggressive-yet-chill-at-the-same-time vibe to them. Drowning Man is, imo, one of the best ballads they wrote in the 80s - not quite up there with With Or Without You or All I Want Is You, but still great; it's gorgeous, musically, lyrically, production-wise(and for me to say that anything Lillywhite produced has gorgeous production is an accomplishment, since he is associated more with U2's more bombastic side), it's a beautiful, brilliant song, and, in hindsight, is a glaring indicator of the left turn that U2 was about to take, and of the incredible growth as musicians and as people that they were about to experience. And Like A Song fucking rocks. People in the music industry often mention War in the same sentence with Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire as "classic 80s U2", but not as much Boy(but I think "Boy" isn't that far off).

So, it's hard, but at the end of the day, I think I take War. If 11 O'Clock Tick Tock was on Boy, this would be even harder. I love October too, but it's not in the league of Boy and War.

I don't know that much about boots from this time period, but Red Rocks is legendary, what I've heard of that Boston show is really great, the shows the tracks from the UABRS record were taken from(not all were Red Rocks) were probably good too, as those selected tracks are all great(except for maybe NYD, it's not one of my favorite NYD recordings, despite my absolute love for the song). Hell, those recordings of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Party Girl might be the definitive recordings of those songs.

I really love a lot of it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite period - the 90s take that honor - but I still really love most of it. U2 still makes passionate music now, but not in the same way as they did then - now their passion is more purposefully held back for art's sake(on ATYCLB on NLOTH at least), more restrained(sometimes more tense, too), and more educated, there's more life, more weariness, more caution, less wide-eyed-ness in it. In those early days, every song sounded like they were absolutely putting everything they had into it, 110%, wearing their hearts on their sleeves, not afraid to be angry in their music, not worrying about their image so much. Not that they weren't thinking about what they were doing back then, but I think they probably think about the songs they make a lot more now, I think they probably treat it more as a craft now. I'll leave it to you to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing, because I honestly don't have an answer. That's not to say I don't know whether I love their more recent music; I love ATYCLB, NLOTH, the MDH songs, and I'm getting over my anti-Bomb phase, although it will likely always me their weakest overall LP for me.

Musically, the music of this period is more in-your-face then in subsequent periods, when much of the music became, in some cases more nuanced, in some cases more cinematic, in some cases more sophisticated, and overall, more diverse, and with more layers. Lyrically, a lot of Bono's work in this period pales in comparison to his later work, but there are lyrical gems here; A Day Without Me is pretty profound for being as young as they were, and I've always loved 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Out Of Control(although I think it's a little overrated here, I think I take 11OTT over it), Another Time Another Place, Shadows And Tall Trees(I think it's simple but effective), Gloria, October("October/and the trees are stripped bare/of all they wear/what do I care/October/and kingdoms rise/and kingdoms fall/but you go on/and on", one of my favorite U2 lyrics from any period), and all of War(I think War was a big step forward lyrically for Bono), particularly SBS, Seconds("it's the puppets, the puppets who pull the strings"), NYD, Like A Song, Drowning Man, and Surrender("she tried to be good girl/and a good wife/raise a good family/lead a good life/it's not good enough/got herself up/on the 48th floor/got to find out/find out she's living for").

I don't think a lot of it has dated badly at all - I mean, there are a handful of bands from the last few years that are making music in the same vein, which I suppose isn't surprising given the sort of post-punk renaissance we're in the middle of. If I had to pick one song from that period that I don't think sounds dated at all, it would be New Year's Day, easily. I honestly think, if you took the vocals out, that mix of that keyboard melody and bassline sounds very modern.

I may go with Bono for this. Adam easily has the best. Love the fro.

3.11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Party Girl

just wanted to ask about this - do you really mean that? when most of us think of 11OTT & Party Girl, we're thinking of the live versions, because that's what made the songs famous. both studio versions are very bad, at least that's what i assumed most people thought.

just wanted to ask about this - do you really mean that? when most of us think of 11OTT & Party Girl, we're thinking of the live versions, because that's what made the songs famous. both studio versions are very bad, at least that's what i assumed most people thought.

To me, we're talking about songs. A good song is a good song, even if a less-then-great recording exists of it. In the live versions, we saw both songs reach their potential, and based on that, we can judge the songs. I think 11 O'Clock Tick Tock was one of the best A-Side songs of that period.

And I don't think the studio version of 11OTT is that bad. Honestly, for me, the biggest flaw of the studio version is the lack of the "call out my name/call out in shame/call out, you better call out" lyrical coda. Not as good as the live version, but not that bad. I can understand the criticism of the studio version of Party Girl.

i put 11ott too :depressed:

:wink::tongue:

(Last question is optional.)

1. Really depends. Studio, I would say New Year's Day. Live-wise, I'd say 11 O'Clock Tick Tock then - I Will Follow now. The 2005 version of I Will Follow is king of them all though, so overall that's the best song I guess.

2. Party Girl ofc.

3. Non single you mean? The Electric Co., honorable mention goes to Drowning Man.

4. I like the Boston '81 show, but then again I don't really have that much else from this period.

5. Boy has aged better than any of the albums from this period, better than Rattle and Hum even. Boy should be (and I think is) considered amongst the top 10 debut albums of all time. I didn't like October at first (7 or 8 years ago when I first heard it), and War didn't do anything for me either except for the singles, but the more time passes they both reveal themselves to be spectacular albums, with such raw passion and emotion coming from the band. 'With a Shout' is a song I've recently 'discovered'. I am just as much a fan of early 80's U2 as any other period they've gone through.

6. Larry had the worst hair, Adam had the coolest.

1980 - I Will Follow
1981 - Gloria
1983 - New Year's Day

Party Girl

If this means non single, Electric Co. definitely. Amazing song.

4) What is the best overall album (from three studio LPs and one live) and why?

Boy. Out of all the three albums, most songs in my iPod are from Boy. It's just amazing, for U2's debut.

No clue.

6) What are your overall thoughts and impressions of this early period of U2? How does it compare to other periods? How well/badly has this material aged?

For U2's early days, amazing start. These songs are still classic, and yet recognized.

Adam.

Missed a question because chesty can't count.

Yes, but at least I can hit "Enter" on the keyboard to make a single post.

(Actually, I corrected that error on the first page of the thread -- to fix the numbers and also make it easier to copy and paste. Both of which you missed, so I guess you can't read either.)

I had to get all my vinyl out and ponder this for a bit....

1. Gloria, closely followed by 11OTT (yes, the studio version Danny)

2. Treasure (whatever happened to Pete the Chop). What did happen to him?

3. An Cat Dubh-Into the Heart. I Fall Down. Rejoice. Drowning Man.

4. Boy. It has a cohesion that the next 2 didnt' quite match. And not bad for a debut either.

5. Pink Pop, Holland 1981. First bootleg I ever bought.

6. I think Boy has aged incredibly well, the themes on the album are timeless and the sound takes all that's good about the late 70s and early 80s post-punk/new wave/rock/name your genre. I think War because of its insistence on being "3 guitars and the truth" has aged badly. It's very of its time. It's the album I listen to the least and then only side 1, oh and 40.

7. Larry. 12 year old drummers just don't do it for me ;)

Back
Top Bottom