Least single-worthy U2 single? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
War Child
 
Jarvio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 687
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Least single-worthy U2 single?

What do you think is the least single-worthy of U2's singles?

This does not necessarily mean your least favourite single - just the single that you think shouldn't have really been a single off that album.

I think my vote goes to Last Night On Earth.

This, to me, is a song with no hook. I don't hate the song. But I don't particularly like it either. I like it more than singles such as Discotheque, The Miracle, GOYB, Numb (if that counts as a proper single). But those songs still seem like singles, rather than the b-side/illusive album track feel that LNOE gives me.

The intro is AWESOME, but it's only a few seconds. Furthermore, the single version rearranges this intro and ruins it IMO. (It's fine on the video though).

But the rest of the song is just a middle of the road rocker for me with no hook. It surprises me that it was the THIRD single off Pop, let alone a single at all. Gone, or Mofo, would have made more sense in its place.

LNOE's chart positions on a whole weren't very good either. It didn't do terribly, but it was the third single off its album, so had an advantage over 4th and 5th singles off of albums, and yet still managed to do worse than most of those. It obviously varies with different countries, but from looking at the overall picture of chart positions all around the world, I'd say that LNOE did worse than EBTTRT, WGRYWH, Please, Walk On, which were all later than 3rd singles off of their respective albums. I think there's a reason for this - LNOE isn't that good of a song, and also has no hook. Just my opinion of course, but I have a feeling that many people didn't rate the song.

So what's your choice of U2's least single-worthy single?
__________________

Jarvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Local Time: 02:28 PM
The Miracle. There's nothing catchy about that song at all. It feels like it's building to something, then runs out of gas.

GOYB just because it's a bad song.
__________________

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
An Cat Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohm Sweet Ohm
Posts: 4,137
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Miracle, Boots are the ones that immediately spring to mind. I thought Gone and Mofo would have been much better singles than Last night or IGWSHA. Also, dipping way back I was never impressed with Another Day either.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Refugee
 
super fly guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dundee,scotland
Posts: 2,125
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Crazy tonight,terrible song.
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
War Child
 
Jarvio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 687
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Cat Gav View Post
Miracle, Boots are the ones that immediately spring to mind. I thought Gone and Mofo would have been much better singles than Last night or IGWSHA. Also, dipping way back I was never impressed with Another Day either.
I dislike The Miracle a lot. And it could have easily got my vote here. But I left it off because it kind of fits with U2's mentality during that time, of trying to be cool with the kids. That's the impression I got from The Miracle.

LNOE on the other hand just seemed like an odd choice at the time. Though it's definitely a better song than The Miracle.

I disagree about IGWSHA though, I think that's decent for a 5th single.
Jarvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
An Cat Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohm Sweet Ohm
Posts: 4,137
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
I dislike The Miracle a lot. And it could have easily got my vote here. But I left it off because it kind of fits with U2's mentality during that time, of trying to be cool with the kids. That's the impression I got from The Miracle.

LNOE on the other hand just seemed like an odd choice at the time. Though it's definitely a better song than The Miracle.

I disagree about IGWSHA though, I think that's decent for a 5th single.
It took me a long time to get into IGWSHA, years in fact, but in hindsight it was a cool choice I guess, just one I didn't appreciate at the time. It did have a very good video.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,868
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Get On Your Boots. It shouldn't have been a song, let alone a single.

/ thread.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,571
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Get on your boots definitely is one. All because of you off bomb shouldn't have been a single either.
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Refugee
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,271
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Boots, Crazy Tonight, the Best Thing. None should exist. But I'd take both Boots and Crazy Tonight over the Best Thing.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,868
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Of course you would.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,571
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Boots, Crazy Tonight, the Best Thing. None should exist. But I'd take both Boots and Crazy Tonight over the Best Thing.


I'd take best thing one million percent over boots and crazy tonight :-)
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
War Child
 
Jarvio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 687
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
I'd take best thing one million percent over boots and crazy tonight :-)
I like both TBT and Crazy Tonight, both of which are miles ahead of Boots for me
Jarvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,868
Local Time: 10:28 AM
A warm turd is miles ahead of Boots.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Best Thing. By far.

Followed by Fake Mandela Song. Does that count as a single?
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,188
Local Time: 09:28 AM
Numb
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
Refugee
 
ImOuttaControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Posts: 1,450
Local Time: 09:28 AM
The Saints Are Coming. Yuk.

In my opinion, Numb is terrible but I can see their logic behind it.

I also am not a fan of A Celebration or Fire, but they were a young band so I forgive them.

On SOI, The Miracle was a bad lead single though I don't dislike the song. I feel Every Breaking Wave or California would have been a much better choice.

NLOTH: Unpopular opinion but I really like Boots. Fucking rocks live especially. It just shouldn't have been a single. Magnificent or Breathe would have been a better choice as the lead single.

As for TBT, I absolutely love the song and listen to all 4 versions regularly. Why they didn't promote it properly blows my mind, because even all of my non U2 fan friends have really reacted positively toward it.
ImOuttaControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #17
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,733
Local Time: 01:28 AM
I'm baffled to see LNOE described as a song with no hook when it has one of U2's very best choruses. For Pop I'd have made Gone the lead single and LNOE second.

There have definitely been some odd single choices over the years - A Day Without Me and Fire were poor calls as lead singles, but would've been fine as later singles. Gav's mention of Another Day is a good one, as they had plenty of stronger material back then. (Even weirder is that they dropped the planned b-side, The Dream Is Over, a fine song, for an abysmal but hilarious demo of Twilight.)

But for songs that just plain did not deserve to be singles I find it hard to go past IGWSHA. Chosen, apparently, because of the lyric mentioning Christmas trees, but not at all seasonally appropriate - or, for that matter, a strong song. It had long since been dropped from the setlist and the single was clearly such a non-event that they didn't even try to bring it back. (Unlike WGRYWH, which they tried a few times acoustically around the time of its release as a single, or OOTS, which came back to the set regularly upon being issued as a single.)

Boots and Best Thing should have also never seen release as singles, though you have to say Boots was the poorer choice of the two. And there's a case that EBW should've been the lead single of SOI; the band basically treated it that way anyway.

Oh, and here's a mystifying one for you: 40 was a single in Germany in 1983. 40!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,296
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Oh, and here's a mystifying one for you: 40 was a single in Germany in 1983. 40!
Cool...I didn't know that!

redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #19
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,296
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
I also am not a fan of A Celebration
redhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 62,868
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
The Saints Are Coming. Yuk.

In my opinion, Numb is terrible but I can see their logic behind it.

I also am not a fan of A Celebration or Fire, but they were a young band so I forgive them.

On SOI, The Miracle was a bad lead single though I don't dislike the song. I feel Every Breaking Wave or California would have been a much better choice.

NLOTH: Unpopular opinion but I really like Boots. Fucking rocks live especially. It just shouldn't have been a single. Magnificent or Breathe would have been a better choice as the lead single.

As for TBT, I absolutely love the song and listen to all 4 versions regularly. Why they didn't promote it properly blows my mind, because even all of my non U2 fan friends have really reacted positively toward it.
I still need someone to explain this idea that Best Thing wasn't promoted.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×