Last U2 Album Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Hi all.

I was just wondering, when do you all think U2 will release their final ever album? We all know that they're getting old now, and it may be many years from now until they stop releasing albums as U2. But it will happen one day. And I'm just curious as to when do you all think this will be?

PS - We are all U2 fans here. So I do not want any posters being overly-defensive and flaming me. U2 is my favourite band, and many other people's here, but we must all face the fact that it will end one day, and so I'm just curious as to when you think that will be.

Only time will tell, in all seriousness U2 could still be recording for a long time, it's touring that will end first.

I have a feeling this is their last stadium tour. Their touring will change quite a bit after this.

Because of this and the changing market, I think U2's recording may change as well. It might not be full albums anymore, there may be less concentration on songs that are tour worthy, this could be a very exciting time for U2 if they allow it to be.

On top of that, you have all the unreleased material that may surface.

I have no clue. But I do know it's gonna be bad ass hard to top this tour. They'll most likely go back to arenas in the US and do something smaller, like Elevation was to Popmart. But recording is a whole different thing. They can do that literally till their bodies can't take no more. I guess they'll keep making music until the chemistry's gone. Which I hope will take a long time.

I have a feeling this is their last stadium tour. Their touring will change quite a bit after this.

I completely disagree with this actually. as they get older, they can play fewer shows but to more people. Won't necessarily have to be a gigantic spectacle, but it'll help save bono's voice as he gets older. Instead of playing 8 shows in NYC they only need to play 2 to play to just about the same number of people if they play in Giants stadium.

I completely disagree with this actually. as they get older, they can play fewer shows but to more people.
I agree

I think it all depends on the health of all 4 of them how long they keep going
sound obvious enough I know

I believe the end of U2 will come about for health reasons more than any other factor. When they can no longer go on long tours I suspect they would shut things down. That would be the moment they face their musical mortality. U2 always works in big terms. Could they or would they even want to work in suddenly very small terms? I do not think so.

Therefore my guess is that the last U2 album comes around 2014. If 360 ends in 2011, how long before another tour? Two or three years at least? With an album in 2013 or 2014 we can expect a tour stretching into 2015 or 2016. Six, seven or eight years from now what kind of shape will the band be in? That's where I see the band calling it a day.

I completely disagree with this actually. as they get older, they can play fewer shows but to more people. Won't necessarily have to be a gigantic spectacle, but it'll help save bono's voice as he gets older. Instead of playing 8 shows in NYC they only need to play 2 to play to just about the same number of people if they play in Giants stadium.

:hmm: I see what you are saying, but isn't that what they're doing with this tour? I just think financially it will be a little difficult, but who knows maybe with a better economy and advertising it's their last the demand will be met.

Look at the Rolling Stones. They haven't been relevant for quite a while now in terms of albums but they can still do massive tours. As for their last album I think they'll stop when someone has health problems.

i also think they'll stop when health problems become an issue, but i also think they'll announce beforehand it'll be their last album, tour, whatever. now watch all of this be wrong. :lol:

Look at the Rolling Stones. They haven't been relevant for quite a while now in terms of albums but they can still do massive tours. As for their last album I think they'll stop when someone has health problems.

Exactly!!

The name U2 alone will fill stadiums period.

No need for advertising its their last or anything even similar really.

Anyone who has been following U2's tours should know that suggesting they will need a big "farewell hype" is just flat out silly.

The farewell hype is just that most of the time, hype. If I had a dollar for every farewell tour the Eagles have done, I'd be rich. Bands always say they are done, its always rumored, and it never happens.

I also don't get the suggestions that next album/tour will necessarily be their last.

They signed with LiveNation through 2020 or thereabouts, plus Bruce, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, etc all have very successful tours and are much older than U2 will be in 2014/15.

I could go on.....Tina Turner, John Fogerty, hell, Ozzy Osbourne was about Bono's age or maybe even a bit older when the annual OzzFest tour started.

I could see some more stadium tours, if only because Bono especially seems to really, really like the whole basing out of Nice or Dublin or NYC and flying out to do shows every few days.

I could also see some shorter arena tours happening between albums that are more focused on just having fun with the catalogue and playing a rock show. I think Lovetown may be a pretty good template for how tours will go when U2 is not promoting a big album.

I for one would love to see U2 going back into the arenas they played on JT and Elevation, or even into smaller venues like a House of Blues for a run of shows. I could just imagine how awesome it would be to have a 5 or 6 night U2 residency around St Patrick's Day at the House of Blues in Boston.

As everyone else has said, it will be health or chemistry issues that ultimately decide when they will call it quits. U2 have always been adamant that if decline in quality comes before decline in health and they feel they can't make their best work anymore, they will give themselves the proverbial bullet to the head.

I um, don't even like to think about it :sad: . . . but concur that health (well, the lack of it to be more precise) will be the single biggest influence on the bands decision to keep recording and / or touring . . . now can we talk about something a little more pleasant . . . I have known this band longer than my hublet and, well . . . somebody hold my hand :scream: :wink:

Seriously though, I just hope they keep making music as long as they can; whether they remain relevant doesn't matter one jot to me . . . I just enjoy the product of their creativity :)

Only time will tell, in all seriousness U2 could still be recording for a long time, it's touring that will end first.

Because of this and the changing market, I think U2's recording may change as well. It might not be full albums anymore, there may be less concentration on songs that are tour worthy, this could be a very exciting time for U2 if they allow it to be.

On top of that, you have all the unreleased material that may surface.

Agreed! Touring of this size won't happen again. I don't think. They might do couple of more smaller tours, but then I think the end will be near. Nowever, album releases will be around for some time

Depends on the health issues and ego. I think we're at the later stages of their career.

Assuming Larry's back and Bono's voice (and whatever else - think for example of Vertigo and 360 tour delays) hold on until 2020 that might be the final year - and the Live Nation contract has that year. I'm not convinced they will go on past 60.

The other issue is would U2 be willing to abandon B I G tours and massive album campaigns/expectations ? I'm not sure about that either.

edit: I agree with the "no touring U2 = dead U2" argument. No way would they record and not play live shows. Maybe rarer and smaller, but it will be there.

I dont know really but if I had to take a guess I would say about 5 more tours after 360.They kind of seem to have been rejuvanted again though they definitely aren't getting any younger(well neither am I).I still think they will do a staduim tour or two after 360.Yah they will still probably make quite a few more albums as well.I guess I can make a timeline that I think might be an example I can give.

2010/2011=360 Tour Resumes,New Album Fall/Spring,Spider Man STRK
2012=Break Year/U2 Best of 2000-2010 with New Songs
2013=New Double Album Late Fall
2014/2015=New Tour/Late 2015 Live Album with New Songs
2016=Break Year/New Album Late Fall
2017/2018=New Tour
2019=Break Year/New Album Late 2019
2020/2021=New Tour
2022=Break Year/U2 Best of 2010-2020 with New Songs
2023=New Album Late 2023
2024/2025=U2 Farewell Tour(Long Tour)
2026/2027=Break Years
2028=U2 Career Box Set with Rare,Unreleased,B sides and New Songs.
2029/2030=U2 Reunion Greatest Hits Tour(Final U2 Tour Ever)

I Cant go any further than that because well honestly I may have even gone over my head here with this list but signifying a 50 year career max is good enough.They may still be doing little recordings here or there or maybe working with other artists individually or up and coming musicians.Bono with his One Campaign/Politics Ect.Or maybe just go home and be with their families.LOL.

Back
Top Bottom