Last Night On Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vlad n U 2

Blue Crack Addict
Well, i've always really liked LNOE, I just loved the verses with that guitar and although the chorus is kind of simple with repeated yells of "you gotta give it away" I worship the solo added to the outro during Popmart.

Basically I reckon that LNOE is a droolworthy rock song and I love how it was played live in Popmart which was quite exciting in my opinion and would love for it to make a return on the next tour. :up:

Thoughts? :drool:

I don't really think this song is really that popular on Interference.

I'm into it for sure.. was a highlight when i saw them at Waverly in Melb.. from about 300m away...

Wasn't that fond of the studio version, but the live version is unbelievably good, especially the intro on the Mexico City popmart DVD.

Great song. I despise Edge's comments on it in U2 by U2.

It was one of the highlights on the Popmart tour. Bring it back in 2009!

live it's a vehicle for some great guitar work (which is more than can be said for the studio version) but it's still a bit of a mediocre song

I personally don't like Bono's singing in the verses all that much, the chorus is kinda weak and the imagery of "living like it's the last night on earth" wouldn't be too bad if it was written by a 15 year old

has to be said that the wee bridge is top quality stuff

LNOE is a really cool song, but nothing extraordinary... I think it would become a bit like Pride (somewhat dull and repetitive) if they still played it today.

However, still a great song.

LNOE is a really cool song, but nothing extraordinary... I think it would become a bit like Pride (somewhat dull and repetitive) if they still played it today.

However, still a great song.
No, Pride got boring because it just has been played for too long.

LNOE has only be played on Popmart and it deserves a comeback if U2 is going to play big arena's with a lot of effects etc. Just imagine bono singing this song now with the voice he has today....

I think every U2 fan would love to hear that.

Honestly, in my opinion U2 have never been able to write a more f-off live rocker than this one. The only thing that even comes close is their Dancing Bare foot cover.
U2 are at the top of their game with this song even if Bono's vocals are not optimal. But on the other hand that's one of the things that makes Last Night On Earth so interesting, it adds to the whole feel that the song wants to deliver.
Edge's twangy guitar riff going into the big chorus where Adam takes the steering wheel and leads the band for a while. Larry is pounding those drums like I don't know....it's unbelievable.

We need more POP songs on the upcoming tour, please! (no pun intended)

Seriously, tell me one single song released after this one that rocks more than Last Night On Earth? :rockon:
New York? Nah, nice try but didn't really work in the end - I really love the live version though. All Because of You? Don't make me laugh! :lol: I guess I could write a whole essay on how awesome this song is someday :D

Top song, album version doesn't feel right initially, but I got used to it, and the live version is amazing, needs another chance on the next tour :up:

It's a good song, and certainly a rocker in live format.
One thing I didn't like about it was the final chorus, where it misses Bono's first "You gotta give it away" and goes straight to the Edge. Still the structure of the song would have made it hard to pull off live with Bono singing two lines at once.
Apparently the chorus for this song was made up in the mastering room.

During PopMart when Bono's voice was 'on' he could really belt out the chorus to this song. Listen to the Sarajevo show and he goes particularly ballistic. I reckon more than the other opening songs it was this that blew his voice up.

And yeah whilst Edge's solo at the end is pretty blisteringly good, it's a bit lazy that he never takes it anywhere. Bit like the Silver and Gold solo on R&H.

It was one of the highlights on the Popmart tour. Bring it back in 2009!

I didn't like what he said about the songs on Pop either. He asked whether they were as good as SBS or NYD. I think those songs are ok but a long long way off from being my fav songs by the band. They never be songs that I'd chose to put on. I much prefer LNOE

Honestly, in my opinion U2 have never been able to write a more f-off live rocker than this one. The only thing that even comes close is their Dancing Bare foot cover.
U2 are at the top of their game with this song even if Bono's vocals are not optimal. But on the other hand that's one of the things that makes Last Night On Earth so interesting, it adds to the whole feel that the song wants to deliver.

Well the most trashy version must be the Sarajevo version :) Realy messy, but I like it!

I can't believe how selectively people have read U2 by U2

if this book proofs anything it is that U2 isn't that pleased with about 80% of their recorded work
the only difference with POP being that they feel it had the potential to be so much better

I will never understand how people have turned this into U2 disowning POP

personally I think the band is not critical enough about the album
because I do think the album needs a couple of far better songs to have become a masterpiece while the band seems to feel they only needed a bit more time

Yeah, the chorus is quite simple, but hey it works in a live format in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom