Lady With The Spinning Head - appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosebud

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment..
Okay I've never posted a song/album appreciation thread before, but now I just can't help myself. :shifty:

Here's my argument:

Lady With The Spinning Head is just the shit.

My, what a well-thought out argument. :cute: But no, seriously, I just listened to it for the first time in so long, and it has really the most amazing energy - it's like an electric symphony.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Funny anecdotes and witty sarcasm most welcome. :nerd:

Such a great song... it spawned at least two songs... The Fly and UTEOTW.

I don't hear Until The End Of The World in it, but it is the mother of Ultra Violet (hence the (UVI) tag at the end of the title). And the Extended Dance Mix (which to me doesn't really sound like a dance mix, but more like a full-length version) is even better! :combust:

I don't hear Until The End Of The World in it, but it is the mother of Ultra Violet (hence the (UVI) tag at the end of the title). And the Extended Dance Mix (which to me doesn't really sound like a dance mix, but more like a full-length version) is even better! :combust:

Oh yeah, the extended dance version is actually the one I was thinking of when I started the thread...It's the only version I listen to anymore. :love:

Finally, a thread on how damn good Lady With The Spinning Head is!

:drool: over keyboard.

I wish it was included on AB :drool:, such a wonderful b side even it would better anything else put out by anyone. :up:

I also would like to express my respect for the chorus.

"la la la laa la" "Lady with the spinning head"

:love:

imagine if U2 played it... it would be EPIC

la la la la la la
la la la la la la
lady with the spinning head :love::love::love:

the UVI version is... nothing compared to the EXTENDED DANCE MIX

GREATEST MIX EVER by U2
it's in my top 20 or 10, I think, don't remember... anyway, amazing song :drool:

The non-mix version is awesome, but I haven't heard the dance mix yet, dunno why, don't really like mixes that much.

At least play a snippet of it on the next tour. :drool:

Such a great song... it spawned at least two songs... The Fly and UTEOTW.

I Feel Free was the Axtung Beibi out-take that spawned UTEOTW. LWTSH (and, prior to it, the Axtung Beibi out-take Take You Down) spawned The Fly and Ultra Violet.

And the Extended Dance Mix fucking rules. It pretty much makes up for all the other fucking dull remixes from the Achtung era all by itself.

According to Edge (who should know): "There was a song called 'Lady With The Spinning Head', which we were really struggling with. It eventually ended up as a B-side. But we tried and failed to develop it so many times [that] it actually spawned three different songs: 'The Fly', 'Ultraviolet (Light My Way)', and 'Zoo Station'. If you ever listen to 'Lady With The Spinning Head' you will hear elements of all those songs."

Okay, I'm just listening to it now . . . clearly, the chord-riffs of the opening rhythm guitar (which runs through the whole song) are the basis of "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)". Just as clearly, the "la, la, la, la" break is the forerunner of the chorus of "The Fly". There's a little instrumental break starting at about 3:05 in which Edge is clearly playing the guitar solo of "Until the End of the World" (albeit it's brief).

What I didn't notice is anything that became "Zoo Station" -- so, did Edge confuse "Until the End" with "Zoo Station", or are there actually FOUR different songs that came from this one?

Just to add something: Axver is of course correct that the rehearsal/demo "I Feel Free" spawned "Until the End of the World", specifically its chordal rhythm guitar riff; however, Edge took the mini-solo he plays in "Lady With The Spinning Head" for it as well.

And having just put on "I Feel Free" for the first time in about two years, it's also clear that Bono's vocal melody at the beginning of it was used several years later as the melody of the bridge for "The Playboy Mansion"! (You could compare it with the "Never bought a lotto ticket / never parked in anyone's space" melody in the latter song -- they're identical.)

I absolutely love this song, I actually prefer the original version to the remix, though the remix is incredible too.
It was on the single for One, which was one of the best collections they ever put out on a single: One, Lady with the spinning head(UV1), Satellite of love and Night and Day(remix)

And the Extended Dance Mix fucking rules. It pretty much makes up for all the other fucking dull remixes from the Achtung era all by itself.

It's pure fucking brilliant chaos.

Back
Top Bottom