Kite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
During Miracle Drug, Bono gets a divorce in exchange for a miracle drug.

During With or Without You, the audience is placed inside a sealed box and fail to reemerge as Bono has misplaced his glasses.

18x0vy39o6rvugif_zpshgryr8tj.gif

I did, but then those two jokes were completely out of left field. Divorce, audience in a box and something about glasses?

Bono lets out a swarm of bees into the arena during "Wild Honey".
Bono snacks on some toast during "Winter".
Bono picks a young Chilean boy out of the audience and brings him on stage for "Disappearing Act".

Because "Here is a song called Kite, so I am going to fly an actual kite. In case you didn't know the song was called Kite."

Precisely.

For all the good that goes into staging a U2 show, sometimes they get it wrong. Two examples mentioned here are evidence. (The kite. The cat mimic during An Cat Dubh).

But all in all they do great. And after all, we are used to the occasional 'oh, Bono' moments.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Bono steals all the street signs in the city, they are released from the rafters during Streets like confetti.

Fifteen fans are seriously injured, and every driver in the city gets lost trying to get home after the show.

Bono, who in the 80's hoisted a white flag during Sunday Bloody Sunday as a protest against nationalism, now reveals that the inside of his suit is made up of the US flag while the audience shouts U.S.A. during Sunday Bloody Sunday. Oh, wait, that actually happened. :doh:

Precisely.

For all the good that goes into staging a U2 show, sometimes they get it wrong. Two examples mentioned here are evidence. (The kite. The cat mimic during An Cat Dubh).

As somebody who saw both of these in 2005-06, the cat was awfully cringeworthy at the time but the kite didn't seem that way. Looking back on it now it seems pretty lame and over-obvious though.

Kite isn't thematically about kite flying, so flying a kite on stage makes no sense. Sure, the song supposedly originated from Bono's children not wanting to go out and fly a kite with their old man, but the kite itself isn't as important as the themes it conjures. You're just taking a signifier and making it concrete with that staging.

Bono miming someone shooting up in Running to Stand Still at least isn't just recreating the title of the song. It's taking an uncomfortable reality and shoving it in your face in the midst of a wild party. They did that a lot on ZooTV.

I thought the kite story was that he was flying a kite with his kids and that the wind took over and snapped the string and that they lost the kite? And it was their sadness and his knowing that he had no control, that sparked the song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"The outing went quickly awry when the kite crashed and one of the girls asked to go home and play a video game."

I remembered the "I'm over kite flying, let's play video games" part but forgot everything before it. :lol:

I absolutely adore the song btw, I think it's one of the most powerful things Bono has written this century. The shitty fake strings weaken the album version for me though...They could afford the real deal.

Last edited:
Bono said he was trying to be a good, normal, 'typical' dad and took his kids to fly a good 'ol kite.. And it was too windy, the kite crashed, and as the above poster wrote, one of the girls wanted to go home and play a video game.

That in mind, the last verse about U2's failed attempt at ironic art - where they were pretending to be a traditional rock band making a last stand in the face of changing modern music by faux-integrating electronic and dance themes - makes more sense.

As much as they wanted to push the boundaries and change things up for their U2 'family' of listeners, they realized they were losing interest and the public might have just wanted to 'go home' to a more traditional sound. Which thematically would have been the opposite of the kite/video game choice, but hey.

He saw both his kids and his fans drifting off and growing up, and felt powerless.

Floating the kite over the stage and audience might have meant more than just a show-and-tell.

Sent from my fingertips.

Back
Top Bottom