Kite - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #16
War Child
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 934
Local Time: 12:03 PM
My problem with this song is the lyrics, esp. of the chorus. When I first listened to this album back in late 2000, I was already shocked by how "boy-band" the production of the album was, and then when I got to this song, the lyrics kind of shocked me in how cliché they were. The offending lines, in particular, are:

- "I don't know / which way the wind will blow"

and, the worst of all:

- "Don't want to see you cry / I know that this is not goodbye"

That last one had me rolling my eyes, and thinking, "Really, Bono? Did you get that idea from a Céline Dion or Diane Warren song?"

Unfortunately, aside from those two offensive clichés (the latter driven home a few times in the chorus), it's a rather good song. The gentle slide guitar works well, and the "I'm a MAN" vocal is heroic. Nice tune, also.

But it was hard for me to accept that this band, on an album already self-consciously designed to sound "like U2", was simultaneously entering the area of 'power-ballad cliché'.
__________________

__________________
The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #17
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Funny, I find those two lyrics in particular to be among his best.

Not every song has to contain subtle metaphoric wonder to be good.
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
My problem with this song is the lyrics, esp. of the chorus. When I first listened to this album back in late 2000, I was already shocked by how "boy-band" the production of the album was, and then when I got to this song, the lyrics kind of shocked me in how cliché they were. The offending lines, in particular, are:

- "I don't know / which way the wind will blow"

and, the worst of all:

- "Don't want to see you cry / I know that this is not goodbye"

That last one had me rolling my eyes, and thinking, "Really, Bono? Did you get that idea from a Céline Dion or Diane Warren song?'.

I strongly disagree on both accounts.
The last in particular is so powerful during the Slane Castle performance where Bono is still torn up about the recent passing of his father.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
My problem with this song is the lyrics, esp. of the chorus. When I first listened to this album back in late 2000, I was already shocked by how "boy-band" the production of the album was, and then when I got to this song, the lyrics kind of shocked me in how cliché they were. The offending lines, in particular, are:

- "I don't know / which way the wind will blow"

and, the worst of all:

- "Don't want to see you cry / I know that this is not goodbye"

That last one had me rolling my eyes, and thinking, "Really, Bono? Did you get that idea from a Céline Dion or Diane Warren song?"

Unfortunately, aside from those two offensive clichés (the latter driven home a few times in the chorus), it's a rather good song. The gentle slide guitar works well, and the "I'm a MAN" vocal is heroic. Nice tune, also.

But it was hard for me to accept that this band, on an album already self-consciously designed to sound "like U2", was simultaneously entering the area of 'power-ballad cliché'.

What is this song about? This post leads me to believe that you don't know.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Funny, I find those two lyrics in particular to be among his best.

Not every song has to contain subtle metaphoric wonder to be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
I strongly disagree on both accounts.
The last in particular is so powerful during the Slane Castle performance where Bono is still torn up about the recent passing of his father.
Ok, but you're talking about the delivery of the line, and not the line itself, which is about as generic as it gets. Same with the other one.

This doesn't break any new ground, but it's a good expression of the theme, with the last line nicely underlining the sentiment of the second one:

I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did



This part is evocative, made moreso by Bono's statement about this being from an actual incident with his children. Plus the couplet about the dueling attitudes between generations and his perceived shortcomings as a parent:

It's somewhere I can taste the salty sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me



If you're going to single out material from the song, at least pick out the well-written, mature stuff.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #21
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 02:03 PM
How are "I'm not afraid to die / not afraid to live" and "I wonder what's gonna happen to you / you wonder what has happened to me" any less generic than the chorus?
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Ok, but you're talking about the delivery of the line, and not the line itself, which is about as generic as it gets. Same with the other one.







Who fucking cares?! I never understood the obsession with taking one or two lines out and labeling them generic or cliche?

How many Dylan, Springsteen, or Bowie songs could I do that to?

And then the lines you point out, could easily be described as cliched.

Kite doesn't break any new ground. It's a song of vulnerability and embracing one's mortality told in a nice metaphor. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's what makes it great.




Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #23
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,041
Local Time: 02:03 PM
I haaaate to agree with BVS, but here we are.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I haaaate to agree with BVS, but here we are.

Really?!


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: southwest USA
Posts: 3,302
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Who fucking cares?! I never understood the obsession with taking one or two lines out and labeling them generic or cliche?

How many Dylan, Springsteen, or Bowie songs could I do that to?

And then the lines you point out, could easily be described as cliched.

Kite doesn't break any new ground. It's a song of vulnerability and embracing one's mortality told in a nice metaphor. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's what makes it great.




Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference


I actually like it whenever I can finally find something to agree on with BVS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
bobsaget77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post


I actually like it whenever I can finally find something to agree on with BVS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a lottery ticket right now!!!

( you and bvs in agreement )


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:04 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,826
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Shameless plug for my video from Sydney - same night the b side was recorded, though it is longer. This was one of the highlights of my young life.

https://youtu.be/eXps0nV1Ypk


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
dan_smee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:34 AM   #28
War Child
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 934
Local Time: 12:03 PM
You know, I'm usually the last one (on here) to criticize Bono's lyrics (his over-singing / hamming in recent years is another matter) -- I even like the lines about "the top of a newborn baby's head" and so on; I think that's great.

But cliché does way negatively affect a song, especially when it's the focus of the oft-repeated chorus. You know, imagine if 'With or Without You's' chorus -- instead of "You give / You give yourself away", was instead "Don't cry / This isn't goodbye".

It would, in fact, debilitate the song.
__________________
The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
You know, I'm usually the last one (on here) to criticize Bono's lyrics (his over-singing / hamming in recent years is another matter) -- I even like the lines about "the top of a newborn baby's head" and so on; I think that's great.



But cliché does way negatively affect a song, especially when it's the focus of the oft-repeated chorus. You know, imagine if 'With or Without You's' chorus -- instead of "You give / You give yourself away", was instead "Don't cry / This isn't goodbye".



It would, in fact, debilitate the song.

ironic you choose that song and that line to make your point.

I'm guessing you still don't get what the song is about.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #30
War Child
 
Tommy WM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 711
Local Time: 12:33 PM
Great song...but in hindsight when Bono would fly an actual kite at the end of the song in 2006 was pretty cringe.
__________________

__________________
Tommy WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com