"Killing Bono" The Movie: coming in October - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 PM
"Killing Bono" The Movie: coming in October

So, a film version of Neil McCormick's book "Killing Bono" is coming out. Filming starts in a couple of weeks in Ireland. Could be interesting. It probably won't be a very highly publicized release, but I'd guess it will hit theaters in Ireland at least, and then make its way to video. It's a great title, for both the book and the movie. A bit of an attention grabber.

I haven't read the book, though, and don't know how much U2 actually appears in the text. Does anyone know more about the book? I just think it would be kind of cool to see actors portraying Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry in a big screen feature. Hasn't really been done before has it? It'll probably be four young, no-name actors. I might go and audition.

BBC News - 'Killing Bono' shooting to begin

GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:23 PM
I think Neils book is called "I Was Bono's Doppelganger"

I have no interest in this film TBH, sounds kinda crap to me, I don't think U2 will even feature in it, apparently what it is about is another band at Mount Temple that don't get there break and are bitter about U2's career taking off,

The name of the film is even a turn off, "Killing Bono", WTF!!!
and the film is set in Belfast not Dublin!

Ronnie269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:23 AM
The book has gone by both titles, I believe. The copy I have is called Killing Bono.

It's actually a great book - very funny. Looking forward to see what comes of this.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The book has gone by both titles, I believe. The copy I have is called Killing Bono.

It's actually a great book - very funny. Looking forward to see what comes of this.
Oh, cool, didn't know that,

A guy in a record shop told me about it a few years ago, It sounded terrible from his description, "about a guy trying to be Bono"

Is it really good? worth reading for big U2 fans?

Maybe I'll give the book a look.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

No, it's about Neil McCormick growing up in Bono's shadow, trying to be in his own band and being famous, but Bono beating him to every punch.

Something like that, if I recall correctly. I just remember really enjoying it.

Here's a thread about it:

Killing Bono
Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 12:23 PM
The full title of the book is Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger.

The author is a friend of Bono's.

I enjoyed it, too.

From Publishers Weekly:

The author of this exuberant rock memoir went to school with the members of super-group U2 and stayed friends with Bono (ne Paul Hewson) as he rose from garage-band front-man to rock colossus to world dignitary thanks to his stumping for debt relief for the world's poorest countries. But the book is less about the distant figure of Bono than about McCormick's feverish quest to emulate his success in a series of bands; he spent 10 thrilling, agonizing years on the brink of making it. The result is a funny, jaundiced celebration of rock 'n' roll fantasy and reality, chronicling the music, the debauchery, the search for band mates who can play an instrument, the philistinism of major label A&R reps, the wasted talents of the wannabes they crush, the seething resentment toward those who make it and the intoxicating rush of live performance that transfigures even those who don't. McCormick, now the rock critic for Britain's Daily Telegraph, includes some overwritten analysis of Bono's lyrics and musings on God and the meaning of life, but his book is also full of trenchant observations of the 1970s Dublin punk scene and the shifting styles of 1980s New Wave and pop. McCormick's is an authentic, gripping rock 'n' roll voice, veering between self-importance and self-loathing on an unsteady journey toward self-knowledge.
beegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

The book is actually next on my list thanks to quite a few positive recommendations.
MoodyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Refugee

Okay, cool, thanks for the info guys!

I'll check it out, love reading a good book, and anything that is related to U2 in some way cant be bad !
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Sure, it sounds good enough, but if it doesn't actually tell us how to kill Bono, what's the point?
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Neil has been tweeting about this off and on for months now. I'm really looking forward to it!

I came thisclose to receiving a signed (by Neil) copy of the book for Christmas, donated by The African Well Fund, but someone beat out my daughter on eBay in the last seconds of the auction.
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's a great book! Neil McCormick was here for the U2 Conference (Durham, NC) and he's a really funny guy and that comes out in the writing. The book is a little cynical, a little bitter, and a whole lot funny. He said in the Q & A thing he did while he was here that he was looking for "the ugliest bastard I could find" to play Bono in the movie.

When I asked him to sign my copy of the book, I said it was the only U2 book my husband could actually get behind, because he liked the "Killing Bono" title. Here's what he signed:

Bono Mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
The full title of the book is Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger.
not really...

the book was originally released as "I Was Bono's Doppelganger" in Europe but was retitled "Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger" upon it's release in the US due to american's lack of understanding as to what the word "doppelganger" actually means.

it would be funny if it weren't true.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie269 View Post
apparently what it is about is another band at Mount Temple that don't get there break and are bitter about U2's career taking off,
umm... that's what the book is about, too.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
not really...

the book was originally released as "I Was Bono's Doppelganger" in Europe but was retitled "Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger" upon it's release in the US due to american's lack of understanding as to what the word "doppelganger" actually means.

it would be funny if it weren't true.
You serious???

Mine is titled Killing Bono, but it's from the English bookstore.

And it's a really really good read. Lots of amusing pieces in there. I'll certainly be looking forward to this movie.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

The "doppelganger" thing doesn't surprise me at all, considering they changed the title of the first Harry Potter book in the US because they thought knew that not enough people would know what a "philsopher" or "philosopher's stone" was.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
Refugee

The book was a really funny, fast read. I enjoyed it. It'll be intreresting to see how the flim turns out.
partygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:23 PM
I skimmed the book in the bookstore when it first came out. It had some really funny stories about U2 from their high school days.

I always thought they changed the name of the book because they thought it would be a way to lure in all the people who despise Bono and wouldn't buy a U2-related book otherwise. I never considered that it was because people didn't think Americans would know what a doppleganger is.

I am looking forward to a movie. I've always kind of wanted to see a movie about U2 in their just-starting-out days. I'm sure the guys in U2 will be supporting parts in the movie rather than the leads, but it would still be fun.
Bono's shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #18
Refugee

I really love the book, laughed my arse off.

Many things are recognizable when you're in a band yourself and you have dreams of making it.

I think the movie will be funny, but not as good as the book. I'm still curious though...
Bonoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 AM
i laughed my arse off reading the book too , i think the movie should be great.
mysterious_jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 07:23 PM
I am really looking forward to this movie. Don't know if we'll ever see it here in the states, though. Neil is really funny, but also very truthful about how difficult is was watching U2 achieve all the things he and his band could not. A really good read.

Plus, Neil gets a lot of grief on his Telegraph blog for defending Bono and U2, so I appreciate him taking one for the team.

sdunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
killing bono