"Killing Bono" The Movie: coming in October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
So, a film version of Neil McCormick's book "Killing Bono" is coming out. Filming starts in a couple of weeks in Ireland. Could be interesting. It probably won't be a very highly publicized release, but I'd guess it will hit theaters in Ireland at least, and then make its way to video. It's a great title, for both the book and the movie. A bit of an attention grabber.

I haven't read the book, though, and don't know how much U2 actually appears in the text. Does anyone know more about the book? I just think it would be kind of cool to see actors portraying Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry in a big screen feature. Hasn't really been done before has it? It'll probably be four young, no-name actors. I might go and audition.

BBC News - 'Killing Bono' shooting to begin

I think Neils book is called "I Was Bono's Doppelganger"

I have no interest in this film TBH, sounds kinda crap to me, I don't think U2 will even feature in it, apparently what it is about is another band at Mount Temple that don't get there break and are bitter about U2's career taking off,

The name of the film is even a turn off, "Killing Bono", WTF!!!
and the film is set in Belfast not Dublin!

The book has gone by both titles, I believe. The copy I have is called Killing Bono.

It's actually a great book - very funny. Looking forward to see what comes of this.

The book has gone by both titles, I believe. The copy I have is called Killing Bono.

It's actually a great book - very funny. Looking forward to see what comes of this.

Oh, cool, didn't know that,

A guy in a record shop told me about it a few years ago, It sounded terrible from his description, "about a guy trying to be Bono"

Is it really good? worth reading for big U2 fans?

Maybe I'll give the book a look.

The full title of the book is Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger.

The author is a friend of Bono's.

I enjoyed it, too.

From Publishers Weekly:

The author of this exuberant rock memoir went to school with the members of super-group U2 and stayed friends with Bono (ne Paul Hewson) as he rose from garage-band front-man to rock colossus to world dignitary thanks to his stumping for debt relief for the world's poorest countries. But the book is less about the distant figure of Bono than about McCormick's feverish quest to emulate his success in a series of bands; he spent 10 thrilling, agonizing years on the brink of making it. The result is a funny, jaundiced celebration of rock 'n' roll fantasy and reality, chronicling the music, the debauchery, the search for band mates who can play an instrument, the philistinism of major label A&R reps, the wasted talents of the wannabes they crush, the seething resentment toward those who make it and the intoxicating rush of live performance that transfigures even those who don't. McCormick, now the rock critic for Britain's Daily Telegraph, includes some overwritten analysis of Bono's lyrics and musings on God and the meaning of life, but his book is also full of trenchant observations of the 1970s Dublin punk scene and the shifting styles of 1980s New Wave and pop. McCormick's is an authentic, gripping rock 'n' roll voice, veering between self-importance and self-loathing on an unsteady journey toward self-knowledge.

Okay, cool, thanks for the info guys! :)

I'll check it out, love reading a good book, and anything that is related to U2 in some way cant be bad :cute:!

Neil has been tweeting about this off and on for months now. I'm really looking forward to it!

I came thisclose to receiving a signed (by Neil) copy of the book for Christmas, donated by The African Well Fund, but someone beat out my daughter on eBay in the last seconds of the auction.

It's a great book! Neil McCormick was here for the U2 Conference (Durham, NC) and he's a really funny guy and that comes out in the writing. The book is a little cynical, a little bitter, and a whole lot funny. He said in the Q & A thing he did while he was here that he was looking for "the ugliest bastard I could find" to play Bono in the movie. :giggle:

When I asked him to sign my copy of the book, I said it was the only U2 book my husband could actually get behind, because he liked the "Killing Bono" title. :wink: Here's what he signed:

nm1.jpg

The full title of the book is Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger.

not really...

the book was originally released as "I Was Bono's Doppelganger" in Europe but was retitled "Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger" upon it's release in the US due to american's lack of understanding as to what the word "doppelganger" actually means.

it would be funny if it weren't true.

not really...

the book was originally released as "I Was Bono's Doppelganger" in Europe but was retitled "Killing Bono: I was Bono's Doppelganger" upon it's release in the US due to american's lack of understanding as to what the word "doppelganger" actually means.

it would be funny if it weren't true.

:lol: You serious???

Mine is titled Killing Bono, but it's from the English bookstore. :hmm:

And it's a really really good read. Lots of amusing pieces in there. I'll certainly be looking forward to this movie.

The "doppelganger" thing doesn't surprise me at all, considering they changed the title of the first Harry Potter book in the US because they thought knew that not enough people would know what a "philsopher" or "philosopher's stone" was.

I skimmed the book in the bookstore when it first came out. It had some really funny stories about U2 from their high school days.

I always thought they changed the name of the book because they thought it would be a way to lure in all the people who despise Bono and wouldn't buy a U2-related book otherwise. :wink: I never considered that it was because people didn't think Americans would know what a doppleganger is.

I am looking forward to a movie. I've always kind of wanted to see a movie about U2 in their just-starting-out days. I'm sure the guys in U2 will be supporting parts in the movie rather than the leads, but it would still be fun.

I really love the book, laughed my arse off.:D

Many things are recognizable when you're in a band yourself and you have dreams of making it.

I think the movie will be funny, but not as good as the book. I'm still curious though...

I am really looking forward to this movie. Don't know if we'll ever see it here in the states, though. Neil is really funny, but also very truthful about how difficult is was watching U2 achieve all the things he and his band could not. A really good read.

Plus, Neil gets a lot of grief on his Telegraph blog for defending Bono and U2, so I appreciate him taking one for the team. :D

Hi, I read this book a couple of years ago and thought it really funny and sad at the same time. Neil mcormick is a very good writer and has a wicked sense of humour. I would recommend it.

My husband was also very interested in the book: he is not a fan of bono, but not too worry I more than make up for it!!!!!!!!!.....................

It's a great book, should be on every U2 historian's bookshelf if not just for posterity. As for the dueling titles, I always found it funny how the publishers or whoever the decision makers were so pompous to think Americans wouldn't understand the meaning of "philosopher's Stone" or "Doppelganger". :lmao:

I don't know... I actually think with the right hair style this guy is going to be able to pull off a pretty good young Bono :hmm:

martinmccannkillingbono1.jpg

martinmccannkillingbono2-1.jpg

11 Jan 2010
Jason Byrne and Deirdre O'Kane both have cameos.

Belfast is awash with U2 lookalikes this week as work begins to transform former HP scribe Neil McCormick’s I Was Bono’s Doppelganger memoir into a big screen blockbuster.

Renamed Killing Bono for the benefit of the American market, it’s being shot in the North to avail of their generous tax breaks for filmmakers.

Playing the youthful Bono is Martin McCann who also has a role in the upcoming sword ‘n’ sorcery epic Clash Of The Titans. Mark Griffin (The Edge) and David Tudor (Adam Clayton) both come from a TV and theatre backround while Sean Doyle (Larry Mullen) is a complete novice who was spotted at last year’s Hot Press Music Show in the RDS.

The cast also includes Ben Barnes, Robert Sheehan, Krysten Ritter, Pete Postlethwaite, Peter Serafinowicz, Jason Byrne and Deirdre O’Kane.

Stay tuned to hotpress.com for regular updates.

http://www.hotpress.com/Killing Bono/news/Bono-film-starts-shooting-in-Belfast/6150574.html

Killing Bono

Hey guys, this is just a thread to keep up with any news regarding the “Killing Bono” shoot in Belfast (This is a U2 Forum, after all).

As of right now, it looks like they will film in Ireland for another six weeks before moving to London.

You guys already know the plot, here’s the latest pictures from the set…I guess over time this will turn into what the “Avatar” thread became…promotional pics, trailers, interviews…you get the deal.

ohnotheydidnt: Ben Barnes on the set of Killing Bono
ohnotheydidnt: More Ben Barnes on the set of Killing Bono

Pretty LOL inducing if I do say so myself

And for anybody who gives a shit, this kid is playing Bono:
04hot_martin_mccann000193_display.jpg

Erm...
Close enough

youngU2.jpg

So awkward...I love it

There's a photo here from the set, looks like a show featuring The Hype :)

Killing Bono | FlixelPix

U2 has given permission for their song Street Missions to be in the movie so that's pretty cool :up:

according to the set photographer at that link, no images of "young U2" are being allowed to be released yet.

Back
Top Bottom