"Killing Bono" The Movie: coming in October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He said he had the chance to hang out with Bono one weekend back in <2000?> (I don't remember if that's the right year but it was when he met the Pope) And by hanging out he said yeah we went to the Pope's house, that's the sort of thing you do when hanging out with Bono. So they did that, he only made it as far as the door right outside the Pope's room, only Bono was let in to actually see him, but Bono turned to him and said "Don't tell them I'm not Catholic!" before he went inside. That night they went out to dinner with a bunch of people who were talking about Jubilee 2000 stuff, and as the night went on, Bono became more and more restless. He kept whispering to Neil that he wanted to get out of there and be a rockstar for a while, as he'd been doing the suit and briefcase all week and he'd had enough. He kept asking the people in the group what they could go do for fun in Rome, and kept being told there is nothing fun to do in Rome, and that he should just stay and enjoy himself. Well after asking many times he finally said enough, and Neil said he just walked out the door and into the middle of the street and held his hands up and stopped the traffic. He leaned into the window of a taxi that had a car full of transsexuals and asked where they were going and if they knew of any good parties and they were like YEAH hop in! So he gets in and Neil said he jumped in too as he wasn't going to be left behind and he was laughing at watching Bono's security scramble into vans and frantically try to keep up with the taxi. They proceeded to go to a transsexual bar where Bono partied all night, danced on the tables, and they had a great night. Then morning came, and Bono caught a plane to Washington DC for more meetings.

Awesome. :D

:lol: Awesome!

He kept asking the people in the group what they could go do for fun in Rome, and kept being told there is nothing fun to do in Rome, and that he should just stay and enjoy himself.

I can see the thought bubbles over their heads: Oh god, he's going to ditch us and go be a rock star!

"No, really! Nothing to do in Rome. Nope, no sir! Boring city. Might as well stay with us!"

One thing I've learned over the last few years is you've got to stay on your toes to keep up with Bono. In an era when fame is often portrayed more as a burden than a privilege, U2's charismatic front-man cuts a refreshingly fearless figure, unwilling to let little things like mobs of hysterical fans, swarms of paparazzi or over-protective bodyguards impinge on his freedom.

You get the impression that for Bono, fame is a kind of magic key that can unlock almost any door, from the palace of the Pope to a seedy transsexual dive bar. In September 1999, I accompanied him to Rome to meet Pope John Paul II and help secure Vatican support for a bold initiative to write off Third World debt. After a long day talking economics and politics with the world's media, we wound up at a street-side restaurant, with Bono resisting all attempts to persuade him to get some sleep prior to a 6am flight to Washington.

"Sleep is for economists!" he announced, striding boldly into the middle of the road and holding up a hand to the oncoming cars.

Had it been you or me, we'd have probably got run over by an irate motorist, but Bono's fame brought the traffic to a complete standstill. Before his minders had realised what was going on, we were squeezing into the back of a car full of transsexuals.

Twenty minutes later, we were seated at a small table in a packed nightclub between beautiful people of indeterminate gender, drinking complimentary champagne while a scantily clad babe tried to attract Bono's attention by dancing on the table.

"Remind me, what's this rock star thing all about?" Bono mused aloud, puffing on a giant cigar. "Ah yes. Screaming girls. Fashionable clothes. People playing guitars. Got it!"

Bono: the pain, the pride, the passion - Features, Unsorted - Independent.ie

Yeah, I think I've read that story somewhere before. Might've been in Killing Bono actually.
The fun thing is that I can pretty much visualize how this went down. :lol: Bono's sure crazy enough for it. And it's cool that he feels at home anywhere, just parties with whoever is up for it.

You're just asking for a visit from baldy or Grandma aren't you? :eyebrow:

Noo Nooo I'll be good. :sad:

Yeah, I think I've read that story somewhere before. Might've been in Killing Bono actually.
The fun thing is that I can pretty much visualize how this went down. :lol: Bono's sure crazy enough for it. And it's cool that he feels at home anywhere, just parties with whoever is up for it.

Noo Nooo I'll be good. :sad:

Yeah it was fun hearing Neil tell the story, even he sounded a bit in awe of getting to spend a weekend with Bono.

And you'd better be, missy. :shifty: They're always anxious for a visit to their dear little Gg. :evil:

Must've been really cool to talk to Neil. I love reading his tweets, and he did a great job doing the setlist for Moncton! :lol:

:sad: But. but. I don't want a visit from granny.

:shifty: for Baldy I could make an exception and just close my eyes I guess. but. It'd be hard to avoid the baldness. :sad: Even thinking about it conflicts me so much. :scream:

Yup! We had really bad twitter feeds, and Neil came through for us all! It was great! :lol: He told a reporter the next day that it was weird coming home to his hotel room having hundreds of tweets thanking him!

:reject: Maybe I would. But it still creeps me out so it'd have to be lights off.

Pardon me while I give a shout out to my wonderful friends for getting me a signed copy of "Killing Bono." I missed the reception, so they surprised me with a copy inscribed with a very sweet message from Neil ...something about missing things is the story of his life. LOL

Thanks girls! It is very much appreciated. :heart::heart::heart:

I saw it on Comcast. It's decent, I guess. The screenwriter definitely took some creative liberties with the facts as presented in the book.

A major plot point in the movie is that U2 wanted Ivan McCormick in the band but Neil secretly scuttled his chance. In the book it was pretty clear U2 never thought Ivan was a good fit.

Yeah, definitely ridiculous, like they felt like they needed to amp up the "action" or whatever. It actually made me a little uncomfortable.

Bummer, my Comcast On Demand shows a 2-minute preview, but it doesn't seem like I'm able to watch the actual movie. :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom