"Killing Bono" The Movie: coming in October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But didn't you claim Neil is a bad person? :scratch:

I'm very sorry for bringin this back up again but here's a reminder what the little noddy said 2 years ago on his blog for the Telegraph web site:

He found his way to the truth of the songs, and that’s what I think marks him out as a great singer. His flexibility and tone have hugely improved, but he is never going to win a vocal pyrotechnical showdown with Celine Dion … or Susan Boyle for that matter.

This comment is false in more ways then one, and for someone who's obviously so knowledgeable for music, the only other suggestion I have for the motivation for this claptrap is pure jealousy. There are many soul/rnb singers who are more stylistic singers than Bono. Tina Turner, Otis Reading, Al Green are just a few examples. Stevie Wonder left motown citing he wanted more control as an artist to portray his songs as he wished. I don't want to spend too much time over this post because it will just anger me, but Niel fell out of favour for me on that day :angry:

I feel completely comfortable in the assumption that Neil McCormick knows perfectly well that Celine Dion and Suan Boyle are not the epitome of vocal ability.

Because he's a music journalist and is not completely stupid. I read that and assume he's making some tongue-in-cheek comment about who's considered a "top notch" singer.

HE'S KlDDING.

He's suggesting that people look at "vocal gymnastics" like that of Celine Dion or Christina Aguilera as a mark of a great singer. And I think he threw Susan Boyle in there because she's an easy target.

It's tongue in cheek, and you're completely misreading his tone.

I feel completely comfortable in the assumption that Neil McCormick knows perfectly well that Celine Dion and Suan Boyle are not the epitome of vocal ability.

Because he's a music journalist and is not completely stupid. I read that and assume he's making some tongue-in-cheek comment about who's considered a "top notch" singer.

So this is just his type of humour is it? Celine Dion I can take but Susan Boyle? :|

Susan Boyle is an easy target, and I'm guessing it was the height of "Susan Boyle mania" when he said that.

he is not actually suggesting that Susan Boyle is the best singer ever.

HE'S KlDDING.

He's suggesting that people look at "vocal gymnastics" like that of Celine Dion or Christina Aguilera as a mark of the "best" singer. And I think he threw Susan Boyle in there because she's an easy target.

I certainly do not look at vocal acrobats as the only benchmark for great singing. I have said this many times on here. The type of voice you naturally have has a lot to do with what style of singing you can do. For example my favourite singers of the past 10 years are Alicia Keys and Norah Jones because I love the timbre of their voices. Both have a completely different style of singing that suits their voice type.

*sigh*

No one is suggesting that YOU think that. We're only trying to convince you that your irrational hatred of Neil is because you completely misread his comment.

Its US debut is at the Seattle film festival on June 2nd. No idea how widespread it'll play beyond that.

Neil is considered a bit of a joke - or 'twat', depending on proximity - in media circles. But fair play to him, he's made a lot of money.

This comment is false in more ways then one, and for someone who's obviously so knowledgeable for music, the only other suggestion I have for the motivation for this claptrap is pure jealousy. There are many soul/rnb singers who are more stylistic singers than Bono. Tina Turner, Otis Reading, Al Green are just a few examples. Stevie Wonder left motown citing he wanted more control as an artist to portray his songs as he wished. I don't want to spend too much time over this post because it will just anger me, but Niel fell out of favour for me on that day :angry:

I became a U2 fan partly because of Bono's vocals. I loved how he sang - I still do. He has a passion, energy and incredible range that are fantastic.

However, are there vocally better singers? Of course. One could include Steve Perry from Journey, who rarely (if ever) used a falsetto, but could belt out a high note with the best of them (even if his voice was a bit nasally). Freddy Mercury was fantastic in Queen, even if his performances were too camp for my tastes. Even George Michael had a brilliant voice, with great range and a fantastic falsetto. I've also always enjoyed Jim Kerr, lead singer from Simple Minds. In fact, his vocals are very similar to Bono's (or vice versa). Arguably, all of these men are better than Bono. But does it make me enjoy Bono any less? Absolutely not.

Comparing Bono to female vocalists is clearly tongue-in-cheek. First, the range alone is a big difference. And Boyle, even though she's a later bloomer, does have a great voice. The operatic stylings of Boyle or the over-singing powerhouses that are Dion or Mary J. Blige do make them better vocalists. Unfortunately, those styles aren't always to my liking. I can appreciate some of their work, but sometimes they lack the soul that Bono brings to his vocals. It's almost intangible, but that's part of what has made U2 such a success.

Therefore, even if Neil was having some fun with his reply, he also has a point. Bono isn't the best vocalist. Even Bono will say that. But one doesn't have to be the best - one just has to be able to connect with his audience. And Bono has been finding ways to do that for 30+ years.

Given that I've never read anything truly negative about U2 or Bono from Neil McCormick, I really have no hatred about what is arguably a correct observation (and he's definitely entitled to this opinion).

However, are there vocally better singers? Of course. One could include Steve Perry from Journey, who rarely (if ever) used a falsetto, but could belt out a high note with the best of them (even if his voice was a bit nasally). Freddy Mercury was fantastic in Queen, even if his performances were too camp for my tastes. Even George Michael had a brilliant voice, with great range and a fantastic falsetto. I've also always enjoyed Jim Kerr, lead singer from Simple Minds. In fact, his vocals are very similar to Bono's (or vice versa). Arguably, all of these men are better than Bono. But does it make me enjoy Bono any less? Absolutely not.

Bono is 100 times technically better than Steve Perry and Jim Kerr. I Perry never even sings, he's a stylist. Anyone can scream a loud pitched noize for a long time. I produce loud screams whilst i'm having sex, does this make me a better singer then you? Also Niel's post was in reply to Jim Kerr's in which he admitted Bono was a better singer then him.

He's equal on a par to Mercury. Mercury was a lighter tenor than Bono who has a heavier resonance akin to the helden tenor. He's probably better than George Michael, in respect to flexibility in styles of music and the fact Bono can sing semi operatic parts in his songs which George Michael doesn't.

Comparing Bono to female vocalists is clearly tongue-in-cheek. First, the range alone is a big difference.

Wrong. Celine Dion has the same range as Bono and Susan Boyle has a 2 octave range. That is why she's been seeing a vocal coach to improve this.

And Boyle, even though she's a later bloomer, does have a great voice.The operatic stylings of Boyle

It's not operatic it's musical theatre. Bono uses operatic stylings, or have you forgotten?

[/QUOTE]or the over-singing powerhouses that are Dion or Mary J. Blige do make them better vocalists. [/QUOTE]

Stop being silly! I've heard it all now. :lol: Oversinging means you're a better singer :lol:. That's just like saying that Jim Carrey is a better actor than Al Pacino because he overacts:lol:. When I looked at a website for a top university that trains young singers for opera they placed Bono on a higher score than Mary J Blige and on an equal score to Christina Agulira and Celine Dion. It mentioned all of the criteria but no mention of oversinging. Did Elvis, Karen Carpenter or Frank Sinatra ever oversing? They got higher scores by beating Whitney Houstan, Josh Groeban, Michael Ball and Freddie Mercury.

Range and the ability to produce vocal acrobatics has everything to do with the type of voice you were born with. Some voices maximum range is 2 and a half octave's whilst some can have 4 octaves with training.

Unfortunately, those styles aren't always to my liking. I can appreciate some of their work, but sometimes they lack the soul that Bono brings to his vocals.

I find that so patronizing when people say that. Anyone can sing with emotion. You should've heard me scream, oh sorry I mean "sing", with passion on Saturday night! Every singer out their sings with emotion. It's using technique that is the difficulty!

Given that I've never read anything truly negative about U2 or Bono from Neil McCormick, I really have no hatred about what is arguably a correct observation (and he's definitely entitled to this opinion).

No. Whether you're a good singer or not is a fact, not an opinion. People always say that to disguise the fact that they don't know what they are talking about. Whether you consider Bill Gates to be computer litterate or not be a fact or opinion? Do you think that Tiger Woods golfing prowess was fact or opinion? You could say about anyone. It's my opinion that Paris Hilton is a better singer than Mariah Carrey, and I shall state this a matter of fact. After all, it is my opinion.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have put you in the ninny parade. I've seen this silly posts of yours before and I've always thought they were incorrect.

The ninny parade? Talk about the pot and the frigging kettle, Annie.

You throw around a bunch of words that make it sound like you might have some idea of what you're talking about when it comes to singing, but you clearly have no actual idea what you're talking about when it comes to singing.

Cases in point:

Perry never even sings

Celine Dion has the same range as Bono

I mean, REALLY.

The ninny parade? Talk about the pot and the frigging kettle, Annie.

You throw around a bunch of words that make it sound like you might have some idea of what you're talking about when it comes to singing, but you clearly have no actual idea what you're talking about when it comes to singing.

Cases in point:

I mean, REALLY.

Ok I exagerated about Perry. But he's more of a stylist than Bono and anyone can scream at high pitch. Case and point me in the bedroom. Both Bono and Dion have a 3 octave range. Don't beleive what the cheeky PR brigade tell you. They are dirty little fibbers!

Then you say "they both have a 3-octave range," you don't say "they have the same range," because one is a man and one is a woman, and they clearly do not "have the same range."

Most singers generally do have a 3 octave range I'll have to give you that, whether man or woman. But Perry's actually a good singer. He does way better than a lot of people and I actually really loved his voice on a lot of Journey songs way back when I was in a Journey sort of mood of listening.

Okay, point taken, but it still doesn't mean they have the same range, because Bono and Celine cannot hit all the same notes.

They may both have three-octave ranges, but they do not have the same three octaves in their ranges.

And yeah, to echo theedgeu2, I have a three-octave range myself. Maybe a few notes beyond the top end on a really good day and I've been singing for an hour already. A three-octave range ain't that impressive. :lol: But I don't think that was necessarily her point, that it makes you a "good singer" by default.

Steve Perry's long, high notes are not screaming. That you think they are tells me you actually have very little idea (see how I changed it from "no idea"? ;) ) what you're talking about.

"Bono produces a better tone than him because I've read it somewhere."

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you say stuff like that?

Okay, point taken, but it still doesn't mean they have the same range, because Bono and Celine cannot hit all the same notes.

They may both have three-octave ranges, but they do not have the same three octaves in their ranges.

And yeah, to echo theedgeu2, I have a three-octave range myself. Maybe a few notes beyond the top end on a really good day and I've been singing for an hour already. A three-octave range ain't that impressive. :lol: But I don't think that was necessarily her point, that it makes you a "good singer" by default.

Yep true about that they don't have the same three octaves in the ranges they cover. I barely have a three octave range and about the point where I reach that third octave I usually have a tough time. Been working on it with a voice coach for a while now and it really gets me. Not everyone has it though. And I don't think that that would make you a good singer by default either, there's a lot that goes into being a good singer.

Yep true about that they don't have the same three octaves in the ranges they cover. I barely have a three octave range and about the point where I reach that third octave I usually have a tough time. Been working on it with a voice coach for a while now and it really gets me. Not everyone has it though. And I don't think that that would make you a good singer by default either, there's a lot that goes into being a good singer.

It's through teaching with a vocal coach that Mercury got 4 octaves. Pavarotti had 3 octaves. I suppose that mean Mercury was a better singer than him does it?

I was going to say that I read it in a book about singing from a former opera singer. She said Perry produced poor tone in his vocals. I'm on heat today. That's why I'm jittery. Please forgive me!

The opera singer said Bono has a better tone than Steve Perry? Is that where the "Steve Perry screams" thing came from, too?

Obviously, an opera singer has quite a different style and extremely thorough training than a pop or rock singer, but as someone who sings both (although I am farrrrrrrr from being anything close to an "opera singer," I do sing chorally and have had a bit of training), I'd go out on a limb and say that opera singer is wrong about Steve Perry.

Maybe she wanted to call him out because so many people looked to him as a "great rock singer," but I completely disagree that he had a poor tone. A poor tone compared to an opera singer? You bet.

I can't believe how many silly arguments I get drawn into with you about singing. It's the one topic where I am unable to leave it be with you, Annie. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom