Kenny Chesney covers GOYB??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
A friend of mine in Florida went to a Kenny Chesney concert last night. While not a fan of Kenny or really country music in general, I thought I'd look up the setlist for the hell of it. The final song is U2's Get on your boots!!!

Kenny Chesney Concert Setlist at Raymond James Stadium, Tampa on March 19, 2011 | setlist.fm

I can only assume that all those covers in the encore is some kind of medley. I can't find anything on youtube yet. If anybody find a video of this, post a link. I'd love to hear what the take on it was.

That was my first thought, that he'd written a song with the same title, about cowboy boots or something.

But on that setlist, it does say "U2 cover." I'm assuming that whomever put that setlist up does indeed know Kenny Chesney songs, and would know if he had a song by the same name, and that's not a guess.

The horror .... THE HORROR.

Just searched for "kenny chesney get on your boots", and the top result on Google was...this thread. I do hope someone posts a video, though, as this has the potential to be the weirdest pairing of cover and artist since John Mayer's take on "Kid A":
YouTube - John Mayer - Kid A (Radiohead Cover)

this is a bizarre cover but I think they did a pretty good job: YouTube - Hanson's Optimistic Radiohead Cover

and Kenny Chesney covering GOYB, I bet it sounds better than the original! :reject:

let's be honest.

if you could sing and had a band and an adoring audience of thousands, wouldn't you belt out WOWY?

because i sure as fuck would.

(btw, who's the fat guy?)

(also, btw, Chesney has great arms)

WOWY? Yes.

GOYB? Not so much.

agreed. one of my most treasured memories of being in Australia was when we were having beers at a bar in the Outback and there was some really crappy singer-songwriter hired to cover top 40 hits of the 80s and 90s and get the crowd to dance and the second to last song he played was WOWY and it was this joyous sing-along that was incredibly awful and amazing at the same time. i have video of it somewhere.

he then closed with "Don't Stop Believing" which brought the drunken house down.

strangely, no GOYB.

Ten years from now, it's going to be that one song that someone always sings at karaoke, introducing it like "Oh, you all know this one! Everyone sing along! You know this one, right????"

And the bar just gives you this look of disdain because no, they do not know that song, you freak. Sing something we know!

So then your next time up, you try and win the crowd back over by singing Mr. Roboto.

I think this was a piece of information I was better off not having. And even better off not having been by that stadium Saturday.

Damn you eyes, for not letting me unsee something.

Ten years from now, it's going to be that one song that someone always sings at karaoke, introducing it like "Oh, you all know this one! Everyone sing along! You know this one, right????"

And the bar just gives you this look of disdain because no, they do not know that song, you freak. Sing something we know!

So then your next time up, you try and win the crowd back over by singing Mr. Roboto.

the only song i've ever done in "real" karaoke -- i.e., at a bar, totally hammered, and with people watching -- was "Irreplaceable."

(to the left, to the left ...)

it went over big with the lesbians, even though i cannot actually sing.

i have a friend who's wife thinks that song is about going through airport security.

(everything you own in the box to the left)

anyway ...

i picked sunday bloody sunday the one time i ever found myself to be drunk enough to sing karaoke yet not to the point of falling down/puking/passing out. the choice in song alone was pretty much proof that i was obviously not thinking clearly, and then i completely refused to let the karaoke guy put the lyrics up for me to see them. somewhere halfway through the song, of course, i forgot the words.

i saw some crappy opening band, whose name i can't even remember now, close a show with WOWY. it's fitting for this thread, as the opening band was opening for tim mcgraw. yes, that's right. i went to a tim mcgraw show once. willingly, too. it wasn't bad. i think kenny chesney had a couple songs i didn't hate. can't remember what they were or anything, but i think i even bought an album once during my short-lived period where i was trying to find some merit in mainstream country...it was short-lived for a reason, though. shit all sounds the same.

i saw Vince Gill with my first boyfriend.

he had a great voice and the show was actually pretty good, but then he ruined everything by asking Amy Grant to sing a few songs with him.

My mom LOVES him. And her.

they seemed to have a very strong, musical marriage, you know, in Christ and all that.

but all i kept thinking of when she was up there was that "Baby, Baby" video, and the immortal Butthead comment: "Is this a Noxzema commercial?"

they seemed to have a very strong, musical marriage, you know, in Christ and all that.

but all i kept thinking of when she was up there was that "Baby, Baby" video, and the immortal Butthead comment: "Is this a Noxzema commercial?"

Heh.

And the funny thing is, didn't he leave his first wife for her? Because that's Christ-ly. I know way too much about those people. :(

I saw a Youtube clip of Vince Gill singing Surf's Up by the Beach Boys at a Brian Wilson tribute (maybe a Kennedy Centers Honor show?), and he blew me away. What a voice on that guy! Never would have guessed.

What happens at a Kenny Chesney concert stays at a Kenny Chesney concert, thank God.

ROFLMAO.jpg

Kenny's got mad skills for doing that, what a shame that he did it in the same stadium where I saw U2 for the very first time. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom