Kasabian singer hated touring with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He does have every right to state his opinion, and we are free to react to it, seeing that it is U2 fans he is dissing.

I might have read it wrong but cobl provided some additional gems that seemed to be pretty sarcastic barbs at Bono, also. I won't necessarily steer clear of an artist just because they don't like Bono, but he doesn't help himself much by going down that kind of path.

At the end of the day, however, I think it's a bit ridiculous to assert that just because a few U2 fans don't like an opening act, it's somehow part of a growing case about How U2 Fans Are Closed Minded Lemmings Who Have No Taste In Music.

It could be that it just wasn't all that good. I mean, there's ever the slightest possibility....that we just aren't that into you, Tom.

The whining about the haters in the U2 crowd re: openers is silly.

It's their job to play the best they can and convince the main act fans.

They weren't very convincing in Germany. Not bad, not bad at all considering how shit the sound was, but not that impressive either.

Still WAY ahead of Interpol and *shudders* Crapvegas.

Still WAY ahead of Interpol and *shudders* Crapvegas.

Well hey, almost every act is way ahead of Crapvegas. They're in the running with Kelis for worst U2 support act ever.

I missed Kasabian opening for U2. Only arrived at the stadium (Hanover) after they'd finished their set. So I can't comment on the quality of the performance.

:up: It's always the bands that don't immediately jump out at you, but slowly grow that are the most rewarding to listen to
Rite?? :love:

At the end of the day, however, I think it's a bit ridiculous to assert that just because a few U2 fans don't like an opening act, it's somehow part of a growing case about How U2 Fans Are Closed Minded Lemmings Who Have No Taste In Music.
:doh:

I don't think anyone's asserting that at all, but way to miss the point by a mile. I'll put down a crash mat for you to land on. :wink:

Anyway, I don't think a U2 audience is the ultimate barometer for a band's quality, therefore the cries of "Well maybe it's your fault for being so crap!" are a bit off.

Anyway, I don't think a U2 audience is the ultimate barometer for a band's quality, therefore the cries of "Well maybe it's your fault for being so crap!" are a bit off.

Or, alternatively, "well maybe it's your fault for not being precisely what we want you to be!" Some bands just don't translate well in front of 50,000+ people. If I like the band, I am sad that the 40 minutes others spent with the band will ultimately prevent them from listening further, but then I slip my headphones back on, buy my tickets for their theater gigs and move on with my life. It does bother me when incredibly talented bands like Interpol who have made seminal albums become a running joke, but it doesn't keep me up at night.

Obviously, it doesn't help if those bands lash out, and I don't think anyone would suggest that as a smart move for them to take following a poorly-received performance. But unless the complaint is that they aren't communicating with the crowd enough, they probably aren't doing anything "wrong," at least so very wrong that they transcend subjectivity. The only wrong move was performing for U2 fans (the fact that they're U2 fans is less relevant than the fact that there are 50,000+ of them), and that's where the lashing out begins.

Or, alternatively, "well maybe it's your fault for not being precisely what we want you to be!" Some bands just don't translate well in front of 50,000+ people. If I like the band, I am sad that the 40 minutes others spent with the band will ultimately prevent them from listening further, but then I slip my headphones back on, buy my tickets for their theater gigs and move on with my life. It does bother me when incredibly talented bands like Interpol who have made seminal albums become a running joke, but it doesn't keep me up at night.

Obviously, it doesn't help if those bands lash out, and I don't think anyone would suggest that as a smart move for them to take following a poorly-received performance. But unless the complaint is that they aren't communicating with the crowd enough, they probably aren't doing anything "wrong," at least so very wrong that they transcend subjectivity. The only wrong move was performing for U2 fans (the fact that they're U2 fans is less relevant than the fact that there are 50,000+ of them), and that's where the lashing out begins.
Some of the aforementioned bands have done very well in front of festival crowds. Maybe some U2 fans should have a better attitude/more open mind. Maybe opening acts should go in expecting the worst and do their best. Maybe they shouldn't take a swipe at U2 audiences as a whole. Maybe it's not such a big deal because very few seem to have their panties in a twist over it and I find the quote a bit funny and somewhat accurate. Ah, shades of grey all around.

And I randomly feel the need to throw in the fact that I rather like Kasabian's music. :dance:

tumblr_lryzjd3DEj1qid0xqo1_500.gif

Music is obviously subjective. I get a certain feel from listening to particular artists and if they suddenly don't jive with me for whatever reason I don't listen to it any more.

Kasabian, who I liked, are on the outs now with those comments. Not because they have an issue with U2 or U2 fans, I just can't respect or listen to a band with someone in it that is that ignorant and unprofessional and to disrespect another band's fans. It's an unwarranted low-blow. It's not like U2 attracts a niche crowd, it's a cross section of all society because U2 are a very popular band amongst all ages and colours. I mean come on, shut your mouth, and give some respect to where it's due Tom Meighan.

He's being honest and entitled to his opinion and so am I as a consumer buying his music. They just won't be seeing my $30-40 next time they come to town. It's their loss.

Happy Monday! Time to organise my music today.

28sn76t.jpg

kafrun said:
I don't think anyone's asserting that at all

Uh yeah, people are writing quite a bit in that sort of vein. I didn't mean to say you were, although I realize I added the word lemming to the sentence. I was referring in general to a few others.

And no, U2s fan base may in fact not be the ultimate barometer of how good a band is...anywhere or anytime else aka other than, you know, WHEN OPENING FOR U2!! In that context, they are absolutely the barometer, insofar as whether or not the band performed well THAT NIGHT for THAT audience. :doh:

Music is obviously subjective. I get a certain feel from listening to particular artists and if they suddenly don't jive with me for whatever reason I don't listen to it any more.

Kasabian, who I liked, are on the outs now with those comments. Not because they have an issue with U2 or U2 fans, I just can't respect or listen to a band with someone in it that is that ignorant and unprofessional and to disrespect another band's fans. It's an unwarranted low-blow. It's not like U2 attracts a niche crowd, it's a cross section of all society because U2 are a very popular band amongst all ages and colours. I mean come on, shut your mouth, and give some respect to where it's due Tom Meighan.

He's being honest and entitled to his opinion and so am I as a consumer buying his music. They just won't be seeing my $30-40 next time they come to town. It's their loss.

Happy Monday! Time to organise my music today.

28sn76t.jpg

Well, I don't know about this. I think this guy was an idiot for what he said, but if I listened to his music (I don't) these comments wouldn't stop me from doing so.

If I boycotted art every time the celebrity making it made some moronic comment, I wouldn't be listening to a lot of music or seeing a lot of films. I just think you have to separate the art from the behavior of the artist to a certain extent, because let's face it a good number of high profile celebrities are not particularly model characters.

To each his/her own though.

Ok before I reply, know that I'm in no way trying to start a fight with you, but honestly this and your last post on it just left me shaking my head. It's not personal, so don't take it as such. But the notion that the audience has some greater responsibility here just sounds crazy.

Or, alternatively, "well maybe it's your fault for not being precisely what we want you to be!"

Well who's fault is it then, if a band doesn't go over well? The audience's? U2's? The sun's? The venue's? The responsibility lays solely with the band to win the audience. Noone else. There is no "precisely" given that across that many people there is such a diversity in taste in music and to say that there isn't is just disingenuous.

Some bands just don't translate well in front of 50,000+ people.

Agreed! So then why are they there?? Did U2 hold a gun to their heads and say you better do these gigs, assholes? This is not some upstart band that is on it's first album. They're 4 albums in, have played to other larger crowds if I'm not mistaken, and some of those crowds were people that weren't necessarily there to see them. So a U2 crowd is just THAT different an animal? I think not.

but then I slip my headphones back on, buy my tickets for their theater gigs and move on with my life.

Except of course, posting repeatedly on a U2 forum about it. :wink:

incredibly talented bands like Interpol who have made seminal albums

You of all people know that this is completely a taste comment. I'd say they are of average talent, when compared across the talent spectrum against other bands of the last 20-30 years. They're not blazingly brilliant, especially in the vocals dept. And "seminal"?? My definition of seminal in terms of music is "highly original or creative that is of such importance that it influences future art". Must've missed the droves of bands citing Interpol as an influence..

it doesn't keep me up at night.

Getting really picky here...but you do realize you posted this at 1:40 in the morning, right? ;) (We need a "ribbing/pokey" smiley!)

But unless the complaint is that they aren't communicating with the crowd enough, they probably aren't doing anything "wrong," at least so very wrong that they transcend subjectivity.

Well there's the rub. Other opening acts have been met with much skepticism (if not outright derision, masked as "subjectivity", even) and yet have found a way to transcend it and put on a good show. So..no, maybe good ol' Tom didn't do anything "wrong" per se, but he also didn't seem to do enough "right" either, to get people interested.

The only wrong move was performing for U2 fans (the fact that they're U2 fans is less relevant than the fact that there are 50,000+ of them), and that's where the lashing out begins.

So again, it's the U2 fans' fault? Frankly, in a stadium of 50,000 (actually, wasn't it more like 80,000 over there? I forget) people, I think you'd find more people who are just "casual" fans who probably have a different favorite band than U2, than "hardcores who listen to only one band". Therefore, if a band fails to come across not only to the minority hardcores but also to the greater part of the audience that are casual and there for, who knows, a good rock show, to see U2 do their greatest hits, whatever, but could probably love other bands as well, well then is that still the audience's fault? Over, what, 6 shows or however many it was? Really??? I'm gonna guess that many of those people at the U2 shows are probably also the same kind of people that go see other bands at festivals etc, and in general enjoy hearing new and different music OTHER THAN U2. Yeah, I think that sounds more realistic.

Now for a more general comment about this discussion and where it's gone (AIMED AT NOONE IN PARTICULAR):

This is not an Interpol forum, or a Kasabian forum. IT IS A U2 FORUM. If a band opens for U2 and they don't go down well, we have every right to come on the forum the next day and state whether or not we liked it. For it to descend into characterizations and generalizations about what kind of people U2 fans are or what kind of taste they have is just ridiculous. For anyone to get so defensive that they start losing control of their temper about this subject is equally ridiculous, given where we are posting (U2 fan forum). I can see Interpol fans getting riled up if U2 fans invaded their forum after a U2 show and started posting crap - by all means, let em have it Interpol fans. But to start this "well look who they were playing in front of, U2 fans in general suck" type assertion on a U2 fan forum is just outrageous.

And ffs, if Tom from Kasabian runs off his mouth and disses U2 fans and/or U2 in general, yes people on a U2 fan forum are going to say things like "well I saw them and hated their show so fuck them", "well I saw them liked the show but man what an idiot for saying that", "oh well, they didn't translate well live so fuck em", "you know what Im going to rethink where I spend my next music-buying buck if this guy is going to be such an ungrateful prick", "FUCK YOU TOM KASABIAN SUKKKS!11!", and any other variation/choice comments like it. It doesn't mean that ANY of the people posting these comments are mindless twits who don't like any other band's music, it means they are people having fairly normal human reactions to inflammatory statements, on a forum for the band/fans the guy is dissing.

What should we all have said "Hmm. Well I respect his right to an opinion, so no comment" - uh, yeahhhhhh. Right. :lol:

So again, it's the U2 fans' fault?

(the fact that they're U2 fans is less relevant than the fact that there are 50,000+ of them)

It has nothing to do with being a U2 fan. Fans of all bands have shitty taste in music to some degree, and it's a naturally subjective argument. What I'm getting at is that a crowd of that size will eat certain bands alive, regardless of who they came to see due to sound quality, the nature (immediacy) of their material and so on. Fans also come in with poor attitudes, and I'm sure the festivals Kasabian played to before weren't particularly favorable either, but at least a good chunk of that crowd likely wanted to hear a few of their tracks; there are other options in that setting. However, it was shitty of Tom to specifically point out U2 fans negatively, and I've never once agreed that it was OK.

Because your post hinges on the assumption that I specifically invoked U2 fans, which I didn't, most of it argues against points I never made. I don't mean to gloss over everything you wrote, but that's why I did.

I will say that if you don't consider Interpol influential, you must have completely missed the post-punk revival that has gone on over the past 5-10 years. Numerous terrible Interpol ripoffs (calling themselves Joy Division ripoffs, because that sounds purer) surfaced after Turn On The Bright Lights came out in 2002. That was a hugely important record that was on basically ever best album of the decade list you could find.

Because your post hinges on the assumption that I specifically invoked U2 fans, which I didn't, most of it argues against points I never made.

Actually you did pretty much in previous posts on the subject and in the Interpol discussion and all we've really been talking about is U2 fans. You've referred to them in this thread as "the shittiest fans imaginable". I suppose you could get semantical about who you really meant, given that you did make some qualifiers about large crowds in general, but we are talking about U2 crowds in the context of this thread, for the most part.

Numerous terrible Interpol ripoffs (calling themselves Joy Division ripoffs, because that sounds purer) surfaced after Turn On The Bright Lights

Hold on..because some other bands came out after Turn On The Bright Lights came out, and they themselves said they were influenced by Joy Division, they were actually more influenced by Interpol? I'm almost afraid to ask which ones out of fear for then being obligated to sit thru listening to albums of shitty Joy Division rip offs to prove it, but I'd tend to believe that if a band says they were influenced by Joy Division,well it was probably Joy Division they were more influenced by, not some other band that just came out relatively recently. That might be just me though. But back to the seminal point I will add that you're not the only person (notably, music critics especially) who has called TOTBL "seminal", so perhaps I just think of the term differently than most.

I acknowledge that you did repeatedly say it was shitty for the guy to make these comments. There just seemed like a pretty big "but I can see..." attached to it.. :shrug:

The "shittiest fans imaginable" statement was extremely generic and I meant no offense to the U2 fanbase specifically.

The fervor over Turn On The Bright Lights was similar to The Strokes' Is This It in the sense that it reinvigorated the market of a genre that had become largely irrelevant in the mainstream. That record opened the doors for a lot of like-minded bands and, in that sense, was extremely influential. While I'm sure bands like Editors would exist today without the influence of Interpol, they wouldn't have made as much of an impact as they did had Interpol not been big enough to get a song on fucking Friends. And, of course, I'm certain there are many bands that formed purely because TOTBL inspired them to do so.

Let it be known that I'm going in-depth about this because it got brought up. :lol: Contrary to appearances, I am not part of Interpol's PR team.

Back
Top Bottom