Kasabian singer hated touring with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And, of course, I'm certain there are many bands that formed purely because TOTBL inspired them to do so.

I remember reading a comment a year or so later where someone hinted as much, but said something along the lines of "..if for no other reason than because they thought to themselves 'fuck, if this shit can get on the radio, we should form a band"

:wink:

(I'm just kidding. I liked some of that album. Just thought the comment was funny. :wink: )

The thing is, yeah it's gotta be hard for a band to play to the diehards of a legendary band that showed up early and don't know you, but you can rise to the occasion to work with the crowd and get them having a good time, maybe even make some new fans. Instead of just playing music the crowds don't know, not interacting with them, and then whining that they're 'cardboard cutouts' because you're no showmen. Snow Patrol is not made up of the most skilled musicians, and a large chunk of the early audience they've played to at U2 shows don't/didn't know them but they worked the crowd, joked with them about how no one knew these songs but the band wanted them to sing a long anyway and got them interacting. Not only did that get the audience enjoying them, but it did the proper thing in warming up the crowd for the main event, rather than just filling time before U2. Muse is a fairly large band but not huge in the US, they simply played their music (way too loud on U2's stadium sound) and didn't interact with the crowd, while they're more sophisticated, they were the weaker opener of the shows I saw in 09 because of their lack of engagement. Of course that is also how they perform at their own shows.

So yeah Kasabian, way to waste a prime opportunity for yourself and then complain. Arcade Fire became infinitely more well known out of the twenty something indie crowd when they toured with U2, helping to launch them to where they are now.

But I do know of the bands I did see open, the ones that got the best reaction and seemed to win over the crowd and have a great time were the ones where the band and mainly the singers had stage presence and made that connection with the crowd.

I don't know who Kasabian are, but I can't blame them for being pissed. U2 fans gave the opening acts no chance.

TWO WORDS. Lenny (motherfucking) Kravitz.

Maybe if Kasabian had put on a show like Lenny's they'd have less to complain about.

Who cares if they complain? I think it's slightly obnoxious, but really, they didn't say anything particularly offensive. It's certainly possible that the crowds sucked, and it's certainly possible that Kasabian sucked.

I mean, even U2 crowds can be lame for U2. the crowd in Moncton, by and large, didn't know 40. So it's not surprising that they weren't terribly receptive to an opening act.

yeah, it was really weak. not sure where you were, but I was Edge's side in the stands, and some of the crowd in front of me actually sat down for 40. needless to say, didn't hear too many people singing "How long to sing this song" in my section.

i was pretty surprised. but just goes to show that when you're playing large, stadium crowds, there's going to be a ton of "shitty" audience members. through no fault of their own, I don't expect everybody to know every song by U2 or the opening act(s), but geez, Kasabian's singer's comments probably hold some water when the crowd at U2's final show don't even know the six sing-along words to 40.

For anyone to get so defensive that they start losing control of their temper about this subject is equally ridiculous, given where we are posting (U2 fan forum). I can see Interpol fans getting riled up if U2 fans invaded their forum after a U2 show and started posting crap - by all means, let em have it Interpol fans. But to start this "well look who they were playing in front of, U2 fans in general suck" type assertion on a U2 fan forum is just outrageous.

Who's losing their temper? You're the one WHO KEEPS TYPING ALL IN CAPS! :therethere:

Annnnyhoo.. I don't think anyone's outright agreeing with Kasabian-guy whatshisface that all U2 fans suck, just saying he has a point to a degree, based one some of us personally saw this summer.

Now on another band's forum, that's a whole other story. U2 fans are being ripped to shreds. :uhoh:

WE ALL NEED TO STICK TOGETHER, GUYZ :grouphug:

This is not an Interpol forum, or a Kasabian forum. IT IS A U2 FORUM. If a band opens for U2 and they don't go down well, we have every right to come on the forum the next day and state whether or not we liked it. For it to descend into characterizations and generalizations about what kind of people U2 fans are or what kind of taste they have is just ridiculous. For anyone to get so defensive that they start losing control of their temper about this subject is equally ridiculous, given where we are posting (U2 fan forum). I can see Interpol fans getting riled up if U2 fans invaded their forum after a U2 show and started posting crap - by all means, let em have it Interpol fans. But to start this "well look who they were playing in front of, U2 fans in general suck" type assertion on a U2 fan forum is just outrageous.

And ffs, if Tom from Kasabian runs off his mouth and disses U2 fans and/or U2 in general, yes people on a U2 fan forum are going to say things like "well I saw them and hated their show so fuck them", "well I saw them liked the show but man what an idiot for saying that", "oh well, they didn't translate well live so fuck em", "you know what Im going to rethink where I spend my next music-buying buck if this guy is going to be such an ungrateful prick", "FUCK YOU TOM KASABIAN SUKKKS!11!", and any other variation/choice comments like it. It doesn't mean that ANY of the people posting these comments are mindless twits who don't like any other band's music, it means they are people having fairly normal human reactions to inflammatory statements, on a forum for the band/fans the guy is dissing.

What should we all have said "Hmm. Well I respect his right to an opinion, so no comment" - uh, yeahhhhhh. Right. :lol:

I don't really see anyone getting all upset at all. And of course you have every right to say if you didn't like them or whatever (as demonstrated by your plethora of posts in both the Kasabian and Interpol threads). Ironically, that's the point most of us are trying to make about the singer from Kasabian. He can say whatever he wants. He doesn't need to kneel down just because he opened for U2. It's the outrage by some here over the comment that I think is ridiculous. As if someone said something bad about your mother or something. Big deal: Rock star says the crowd at a few shows was shit. Most of the outragees weren't even at that show. There have been people on this forum that have said particular audiences at certain cities were shit too. It's not a big deal.

And you've been here long enough to know that the forum is filled with the generalizations and characterizations we're putting forward

What should we all have said "Hmm. Well I respect his right to an opinion, so no comment" - uh, yeahhhhhh. Right. :lol:

You seem to be forgetting that the ones defending the singer's comments are U2 fans and were able to say those exact words :shrug:

yeah, it was really weak. not sure where you were, but I was Edge's side in the stands, and some of the crowd in front of me actually sat down for 40. needless to say, didn't hear too many people singing "How long to sing this song" in my section.

I was second row, centre back rail (and featured quite prominently in the U2.com video of 40 they posted :rockon: )

I was singing my heart out (as were some around me) and was disappointed not to hear the thunderous singing of the rest of the crowd

Nah you lyin you was MADDD BRO!

:wink:

hulk-smash1.jpg

Who cares if they complain? I think it's slightly obnoxious, but really, they didn't say anything particularly offensive. It's certainly possible that the crowds sucked, and it's certainly possible that Kasabian sucked.

I mean, even U2 crowds can be lame for U2. the crowd in Moncton, by and large, didn't know 40. So it's not surprising that they weren't terribly receptive to an opening act.

The crowd didn't suck at all, though they weren't very hyped up for Kasabian simply because NOBODY I spoke to in both Hannover and Frankfurt actually knew who they were(save for the person I was with:wink: ). So you can't really blame a crowd for not singing along if they've never heard of you. Plus, the sound was shit for them, so that didn't help either. The band were fine, so it's all down to bad sound and nobody knowing who the fuck you are I guess. So you can hardly blame the U2 fans for that.

U2 fans not knowing 40 makes me cry. :sad:

I didn't get riled up by the comment towards U2/U2 fans because honestly I have no idea who Kasabian are :reject: Maybe I suck as a fan but I didn't spend a few hundred on Kasabian tickets this past summer :shrug:

I was second row, centre back rail (and featured quite prominently in the U2.com video of 40 they posted :rockon: )

I was singing my heart out (as were some around me) and was disappointed not to hear the thunderous singing of the rest of the crowd

Hearing about Moncton and 40 still hurts. Fucking car, never had an issue with it ever before that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom