Joshua Tree 2017 Tour Video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Are there any plans to record and release a show?

I really hope so because this is a special show with several very rare songs that would be great to have on an official release.

I would also LOVE if they did a live airing of it ala ZooTV and not pre recorded and edited.

I assume they would want to release a DVD of this show, it's incredible. I haven't heard any stories of them recording any shows during this 1st US leg for a DVD (doesn't mean they didn't). Europe might get another DVD recording, but not Paris, Dublin or London. I can't see any of the 3rd leg US shows getting a DVD, unless they want their DVD to be a 2/3 full stadium in New Orleans or St. Louis. Phoenix would be a candidate, but it does not look like it's on it's way to a sellout or anything resembling that. Not Mexico... Maybe Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo?

I assume they would want to release a DVD of this show, it's incredible. I haven't heard any stories of them recording any shows during this 1st US leg for a DVD (doesn't mean they didn't). Europe might get another DVD recording, but not Paris, Dublin or London. I can't see any of the 3rd leg US shows getting a DVD, unless they want their DVD to be a 2/3 full stadium in New Orleans or St. Louis. Phoenix would be a candidate, but it does not look like it's on it's way to a sellout or anything resembling that. Not Mexico... Maybe Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo?

Buenos Aires or São Paulo would be cool as you know they will be 100% sold out and the crowds are very animated.

Are there any plans to record and release a show?

I really hope so because this is a special show with several very rare songs that would be great to have on an official release.

Nothing was announced. Would they record a DVD for a tour this short that doesn't support a new album ?

Nothing was announced. Would they record a DVD for a tour this short that doesn't support a new album ?

They have never done this type of thing before, so it's uncharted territory.

It might get "weird" IF the new album comes out in December and the tour ends in October. That would be a tight window to release a tour video before the new album comes out. I say "weird" because releasing an official product unrelated to a new album during a new album promo period is strange.

With that said, why wouldn't they release this? They would sell 500k-1 million copies of this show(IMO). U2 fans would love to have this in their collection given the songs that are included that are not part of any other official release.

South America Footage

Not sure if anything has changed that would prevent such, but in the past South American concerts have often been aired on TV...

Half the Popmart Pro-shots are from South America...

they film every show. I would expect they would cobble together some of the best footage and release it, if they thought they could sell it.

why anyone would want a physical DVD these days is a different question....

they film every show. I would expect they would cobble together some of the best footage and release it, if they thought they could sell it.

To complete collections. I'm like that when it comes to album releases, there is just something about holding the physical CD, looking at the CD art and insert and the smell of it(sounds weird but that new CD smell is unique) that brings me back.

The only tour video I don't have is iE but I will eventually get it.

I only do this with U2 though, everyone else gets digital only treatment!

Because its safer on a physical DVD than a computer which is temporary and can have its hard drive and files erased or zapped in different ways.

All of my music is on physical compact disc or DVD/Blue Ray for videos. I still have all the compact disc that I have been buying since 1988. I don't do digital at all. Except when streaming something off of youtube, all my music listening and music video watching is from a physical product.

Cool thought that will NEVER happen:

We use special codes given to us by U2.com to purchase tickets to shows, so in theory, they know what show(s) we went to.

Since they record every show, how cool would it be if the subscriber gift was a blue ray and digital copy of the show you went to! If you went to multiple shows, then you are given the option of which show you are any and if you didn't go to any or are new, then you get a choice between 3 shows or something.

Yes, there are likely gaps in that idea but at it's core it would be a really cool gift and the ultimate souvenir from the show.

Because its safer on a physical DVD than a computer which is temporary and can have its hard drive and files erased or zapped in different ways.

That may have been true about 10 years ago, but considering most things are saved in the cloud these days, yea... barring an Apocalyptic EMP attack, digital purchases are as safe as anything else. And if said attack does happen, we can an all come to your house and watch on your hamster wheel operated entertainment system.

That may have been true about 10 years ago, but considering most things are saved in the cloud these days, yea... barring an Apocalyptic EMP attack, digital purchases are as safe as anything else. And if said attack does happen, we can an all come to your house and watch on your hamster wheel operated entertainment system.

What is this cloud thing you speak of? Sounds like black magic hooey to me.

We use special codes given to us by U2.com to purchase tickets to shows, so in theory, they know what show(s) we went to.

Since they record every show, how cool would it be if the subscriber gift was a blue ray and digital copy of the show you went to! If you went to multiple shows, then you are given the option of which show you are any and if you didn't go to any or are new, then you get a choice between 3 shows or something.

Yes, there are likely gaps in that idea but at it's core it would be a really cool gift and the ultimate souvenir from the show.

Love this idea!

In a perfect world that would be just dandy...but you're talking about a band that has NEVER, to my knowledge, officially released an unedited and complete live show.

I hope I'm wrong about that but can you see that same band releasing every show (going forward) unedited when they can't even release one?

I love this idea, but that would require a lot of effort on their behalf to edit the video down into separate films. Unless they could somehow program/sequence the cuts between video sources/angles in advance and then automate the production of each one.

Atu2 reporting additional cameras etc were present for Rome 2, and they are suggesting it could have been for an official release. I tend to think it makes more sense they were doing some production rehearsals for a proper recording - possibly Dublin?

I gotta say. Rome would be pretty cool. It's pretty amazing watching the difference between American crowds and the audiences in Rome/South America/possibly Dublin.
But i watched some pro video of the Rome shows and wow, the crowd was going Off, and you could barely hear Bono singing many times because of the crowd singing even louder.
That's the kind of energy you want for a DVD. Not U2 Live From Tampa. :|

Atu2 reporting additional cameras etc were present for Rome 2, and they are suggesting it could have been for an official release. I tend to think it makes more sense they were doing some production rehearsals for a proper recording - possibly Dublin?

They played ASOH on Rome 2 :D

Also worth noting that several part of the fan club release this year will feature live performances of certain tracks from this tour so it wouldn't surprise at all to see the tracks spread out over the course of the tour!!

I say no proper release other than a fan club or perhaps bonus disc on the new album.

They won't want to compete with themselves.

Now a fan club exclusive would be an amazing gift for subscribers but they would lose out on a great deal of potential $$. I agree releasing it commercially would be very odd because they would be competing with themselves but then again....so is being on a mini-world tour for a 30 year old album during a new album release cycle.

For the record, i would buy both :)

Film, yes (the footage of the band/audience you see on screen). But not the extra amount of cameras when a DVD is being made.

Atu2.com reported Hamish Hamilton was spotted during one of the European shows so...we'll see.

Getting audio from the show you attended a la Metallica/Pearl Jam/Bruce... would be nice.

eta : for the record they should honour their South American fans and make the DVD there. It's about time the rest of the world expeirences that level of crazy.

Back
Top Bottom