Jon Stewart talks about Bono on O'Reilly factor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there confirmation beyond a wiki page? Would you have known what Walk On was about by only reading the song's lyrics? Why do a Peltier song 13 years after Rage Against The Machine did one?

I would love to see some sources as to NS being about Pelltier.

GUYS: It's about Peltier. It's in an interview or some shit. End of discussion.

Yeah, I'm with gvox on this one. While I can't point to a source or remember where Bono outright said it, Native Son IS about that guy. There's no maybe about it.

Edit: it's also mentioned in that "The Stories Behind Every U2 Song" book. (I thought it was called Into the Heart, but this is either a different version or a completely different book. This one's by Niall Stokes.)

Rolling Stone Dec 2004

"Vertigo" is a good example of what went wrong. Originally titled "Native Son," the song was Bono's argument for the release of jailed American-Indian activist Leonard Peltier. "The lyrics were about something I care deeply about," Bono says, "but the song didn't vibrate. It didn't change the room temperatures." In a second, discarded version, Bono improvised new words, entirely in Spanish. "Bono never seemed to settle on one idea," Clayton says. "So we'd always be tinkering."

AtU2's news archive is your friend.

O'Reilly pretty much lost the argument when he declared that "analogous" is a "big word." Then Stewart delivered the knockout punch, and O'Reilly got Bono'd. Really, the debate could have ended there.

I've always respected Jon Stewart, but I had no idea he was that much of a U2 fan. Whether he knew Native Son or someone on his staff did, I doubt he'd use the example if he didn't have mad respect for Bono and the boys.

Back
Top Bottom