Jack White's Love Is Blindness on Radio 2 tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shouldn't be surprised that people in The Forum of Hell are complaining Jack White didn't cover it note-for-note.

I'm going to get banned when The Fray's cover is horrendously banal note-for-note and some people start saying "that's how it should be done".

I just found out that BBC radio are bringing another song from the cover album :doh:

So what was it like? Is there a link available?

I'm not having big expectations, maybe because One was covered so many times, I'm actually much more excited about the other songs on that CD.

Btw, Q is saying on Twitter and Facebook that they will tell us soon how to handle the shipment issue for the CD outside the UK. They must have been bombarded with requests and know that a lot of people want that issue.

Aw... I don't know if I like that version of One. It's interesting that it feels a lot softer and a lot more instrumental...

But it seems, like EdgeFest said, very distracting.

I'm just too used to our Bono singing it with so much more emotion and power.

But, still, not a bad cover. I just can't wait to hear the rest of the album! :drool:

I'm really not liking the cover on One, but it seems almost like they've inverted the selections on such a cover album where I'd imagine the best work is going to come on the lesser known of the songs. Maybe that's just me though, but it seems like this attempt at One was played very, very safe.

I thought Jack White's cover was very ballsy and appropriate, even if I didn't like it so much and I didn't agree with the artist selection. But this... this cover of One... ugh.

EdgeFest said:
OK... basically I'm saying this, really.

I'm disappointed that Jack White skipped the solo, because he is an incredible guitarist, and I would have liked to hear him do it, and whether I liked it or not, I wanted to hear him TRY.

That's fair enough. But are you saying that you can't like the rest of the song because of what's not there? Because that is ridiculous, if that's what you're saying.

The best covers are artists interpreting songs in their own way.

That's fair enough. But are you saying that you can't like the rest of the song because of what's not there? Because that is ridiculous, if that's what you're saying.

And so are the worst covers... some people don't like Jack White's interpretation of the song. You can't expect everyone to like it.

Verdict's still out on One for me. Kinda lagging, but I've heard a lot worse.

Maybe they'll play Ultraviolet tomorrow?!? :D

Considering I can't stand the sound of Jack White's voice whether he's doing U2 or not, the only thing I had to look forward to was him playing a mean guitar. So, I guess in that way he met my expectations. If you think I'm looking for something to hate here, I'm not. I still don't like Jack White's voice. I'm again just saying I'm surprised that someone known for his guitar playing didn't play the guitar solo.

Absolutely brilliant!
Exactly what a cover should have: heart of the original, but totally new arrangement.
I hope the others fair this well.

EdgeFest said:
Considering I can't stand the sound of Jack White's voice whether he's doing U2 or not, the only thing I had to look forward to was him playing a mean guitar. So, I guess in that way he met my expectations. If you think I'm looking for something to hate here, I'm not. I still don't like Jack White's voice. I'm again just saying I'm surprised that someone known for his guitar playing didn't play the guitar solo.

Cool :up:

I betcha Edge is thinking....how the fuck did Jack "do" his version of the solo. It's not the greatest take on the song, but it will work. Personally, I like Jack's vocal emotion.

One: bland. Changing the pronouns.....not such a great idea. Pointless. In a few places, it makes the lyrics needlessly awkward. Bono knew what he was doing. When the pronoun is "you" it's a universal song of a jilted lover. When the pronoun is "I/me" it's sung by an unsympathetic sociopath.

One: bland. Changing the pronouns.....not such a great idea. Pointless. In a few places, it makes the lyrics needlessly awkward. Bono knew what he was doing. When the pronoun is "you" it's a universal song of a jilted lover. When the pronoun is "I/me" it's sung by an unsympathetic sociopath.

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

iota said:

Agreed- well said.

Love Jack White's LIB. LOVE it, such a great take on the song.

As far as Damien Rice goes, he's never been a performer with a huge, universal message, he's more about the personal, so his version doesn't surprise me. I guess it's all a matter of if you enjoy his style or not. I do.

If the rest of these covers are as good, we're in for a treat. I hate to be one of those people, but I agree with the people who say if you're looking for something U2-ish, listen to U2. These two alternative takes I've heard so far, who are NOT U2, nor are they trying to be, have been very good for what they are.

Love Jack White's LIB. LOVE it, such a great take on the song.

As far as Damien Rice goes, he's never been a performer with a huge, universal message, he's more about the personal, so his version doesn't surprise me. I guess it's all a matter of if you enjoy his style or not. I do.

If the rest of these covers are as good, we're in for a treat. I hate to be one of those people, but I agree with the people who say if you're looking for something U2-ish, listen to U2. These two alternative takes I've heard so far, who are NOT U2, nor are they trying to be, have been very good for what they are.

I don't see where people are saying 'we want it to be U2ish' at all. I see people saying 'I'm not a fan of this music'. Just because everyone here is a U2 fan doesn't mean they're obliged to like other styles, and it certainly doesn't mean they don't like these styles because they're not U2 styles.

Y'know... it's okay for people to like U2, not like Jack White, and not be guilty of disliking Jack White's take on Love is Blindness.

I don't like it because I don't like what Jack White has done, not what Jack White has done with U2's style. People are subject to their opinions, and I don't mean this just towards you but for the rest of the people saying this... we're subject to our opinions and just because we don't like the version doesn't automatically mean it's for whatever reason you draft up.

It's like... we're committing musical sin for not liking Jack White.

p.s. I wrote Jack Black like 10 times in this message...

Just listened to Damien Rice's version of One...changing the You's in the song to I's was quite stupid, in my opinion. I give it a 3 or 4. Didn't really like it. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom