"I've seen you walk unafraid" is a R.E.M. reference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Stipe is always kissing U2 ass in some way or other. For their latest Album, he has said it was Edge who encouraged them to take the direction they did

Michael Stipe is always kissing U2 ass in some way or other. For their latest Album, he has said it was Edge who encouraged them to take the direction they did

The change in direction on Accelerate to a more aggressive style was completely the band's decision. Stipe credited The Edge with suggesting that they use Jacknife Lee as a producer on the album. Big difference. But this is nitpicking.

And R.E.M. fucking rules.

They're good friends. There's a difference between friendship, or acknowledging someone's influences and "ass kissing".

And I love R. E. M. Michael's vocals touch me whenever I hear him sing.
I saw them live in Berlin in July, it was one of the best concerts ever.

Never have liked them. Never will. To me, everything about them is perfectly mediocre and plain, musically. Can't stand the vocals.

I'm a pretty solid REM fan, love em to bits, yet I can understand why many people might find them to be this way....particularly when it's only really songs like Everybody Hurts, and the possibly grating It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) and Man On The Moon are some of the few REM songs that get radio play....

REM's greatness is beyond the mere music. It's that they are also instrumental in the development and global understanding of the "Indie" culture that was prevelant in the 80's and the 90's...

Maybe they are over rated musically? I dunno, cause I enjoy them too much.

My understanding of your tastes is further solidified...

You needed further clarification? :wink:

As for Stipe's vocals. Hmm. I'd say they aren't the weakest thing about the band. The weakest for me is that for some reason, even though I know they aren't, alot of the songs sound the same to me (or maybe put me in a similar mood) if I listen to too many of them at once.

So, in that regard, I'd say for me they're more like Coldplay than U2. Except about a 100 times better, and I like REM and I love U2. (see what I did there)

Oh, and about his vocals. I'll probably get laughed at, but Nightswimming. That's just pure gold, imo. :up:

You needed further clarification? :wink:

As for Stipe's vocals. Hmm. I'd say they aren't the weakest thing about the band. The weakest for me is that for some reason, even though I know they aren't, alot of the songs sound the same to me (or maybe put me in a similar mood) if I listen to too many of them at once.

So, in that regard, I'd say for me they're more like Coldplay than U2. Except about a 100 times better, and I like REM and I love U2. (see what I did there)

Oh, and about his vocals. I'll probably get laughed at, but Nightswimming. That's just pure gold, imo. :up:

So logically, if Coldplay sound like U2, and REM sound like Coldplay, then U2 must sound like REM..?

:head explodes:

You ever notice that REM uses faceless session drummers...

I just can't get this image out of my head. :sad:

REM are pretty brilliant...NAIHF is one of my all-time favourite albums. I just could not get into the last album, however. Even after 20 or so listens, it seemed flat and overreaching. Perhaps it's time to bring back full-faced drummers.

Back
Top Bottom