Is this true about the Boston DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2elqxi9.jpg

:rolleyes:

:wink:

Not trying to be a jerk here, but you had your eye roll so I'll have what follows.

You are rolling your eyes, implying what? That because I am from Boston, it should just be seen as a mindless and predictable defense of my hometown not to be trusted?

It should be pretty clear from reading what I wrote(I never respond to posts with just pictures and eye rolls, I explain myself) that I pointed out a verifiable fact that these people were not from Boston.

If you read into this, which I am sure you have, you certainly know that my defending Boston U2 fans is not simply hometown bias.

We were the first U2 city in America. First DJ to play them, Carter Alan.

U2 has always had a special relationship with Boston, and by and large, Boston U2 fans are some of the longest running fans out there.

Is Boston filled with:

Poorly maintained roads? Yes.

A lot of loser politicians? Yes.

Plenty of rude/ignorant/in a rush for no reason people? Yes.

People who think they're tough because they are "Irish?" Yes.

However, the U2 fans in Boston are not generally much for prima dona b.s. like what happened on DVD night.

Boston is one of those big cities that feels like a small town, and the U2 community within it is smaller still, people know and can relate to each other as they often attended the same shows back in the day together, etc.

long post directed at me

Hi there.

My name is Jonathan, I consider myself to have a good sense of humour, and my sense of humour is mostly based around irony and sarcasm.

Now, seeing that communication on this forum and indeed most of the internet is based on text; irony and/or sarcasm is occasionally difficult to detect for some people. Which is why I felt forced to add the following smiley to the end of my post:

This implies irony/sarcasm on my part, in this case I couldn't help but noticing that you were from Boston, but denied any possibility that any East-coast U2 fan possibly have been involved in this particular incident. Now, I am fairly confident that you are correct, see, but the humour origins from defensiveness about your location/place of birth. That was supposed to be the joke.

Seeing I don't want to offend anyone, I added that green little wink at the end of the post. Which you should know, by the way, dumbs down the joke significantly, since it could be considered "playing it safe", and risk-taking is, for many people, a part of what makes sarcasm funny. I went as far at taking a screengrab of your name and visit another website to act this joke out, but even then I felt obliged to add the wink smiley to make absolutely sure that you didn't somehow misunderstand my attempt at humour. Yet you still managed to become upset. This, in my mind, suggests two possibilities, which are not mutually exclusive:

1. You are somewhat deprived of a sense of humour.

2. You are somewhat insecure about yourself and gets overtly defensive at unnecessary times.

Whichever it is, I hope now you know, at least, that I never had the intention of upsetting you.

It'd be very funny if you still didn't know if I was serious or not.

"Dave" should have just gone to get a beer in each hand. Stopped bitching. Got buzzed. And stopped being a puss - realizing life isn't fair. Go back to your mom's basement and blog somewhere....You didn't get 3rd row? And you cried? Holy God dude. It's stuff like this that gets u2 fans a bad rap.

We still talkin' bout this? After 5 years? Dang.... This thread needs a LOCK.

Jeez, it's not like this thread is 9 years old. Not everyone has been around long enough to know the details from the first time around, and it's one of those questions that will keep coming up.

Jeez, it's not like this thread is 9 years old. Not everyone has been around long enough to know the details from the first time around, and it's one of those questions that will keep coming up.

I think it serves an important purpose as a lesson in what not to do.

And you have to admit it's mighty fucking fun. :yes:

Hi there.

My name is Jonathan, I consider myself to have a good sense of humour, and my sense of humour is mostly based around irony and sarcasm.

Hi to you!

My name is Greg, and I am very happy that you consider yourself to have a good sense of humor. :wink:

Now, seeing that communication on this forum and indeed most of the internet is based on text; irony and/or sarcasm is occasionally difficult to detect for some people. Which is why I felt forced to add the following smiley to the end of my post:

This implies irony/sarcasm on my part, in this case I couldn't help but noticing that you were from Boston, but denied any possibility that any East-coast U2 fan possibly have been involved in this particular incident. Now, I am fairly confident that you are correct, see, but the humour origins from defensiveness about your location/place of birth. That was supposed to be the joke.

I understand all of this, and I know what sarcasm is and can clearly detect it.

I saw your little wink and acknowledged it in my post.:wink:

I wasn't really getting defensive about my place of origin, I just pointed out passively to one other poster that it wasn't the "Boston fans" as implied.

That has kind of been a key point in this thread, these were rather nomadic Elevation Tour U2 fans who staged this protest. They had been up front probably 18, 19 times.
Seeing I don't want to offend anyone, I added that green little wink at the end of the post. Which you should know, by the way, dumbs down the joke significantly, since it could be considered "playing it safe", and risk-taking is, for many people, a part of what makes sarcasm funny. I went as far at taking a screengrab of your name and visit another website to act this joke out, but even then I felt obliged to add the wink smiley to make absolutely sure that you didn't somehow misunderstand my attempt at humour.

sigh..... done condescending yet?

I know all of this, know you were being sarcastic, and I did not take offense to it in the least little bit.

I even said "not trying to be a jerk here" before I said anything else.

All I really did in my post, if you read between the lines, was explain why your "joke" wasn't really as funny as you thought it was.:wink:

All I did before your sarcastic comments was point out that the people weren't from Boston- it was one of the shortest posts I've ever made.

You took that post, and then went to such great, heroic lengths to include the screenshot as you described. Then, you responded in an effort to show the entire world once and for all that you have a good sense of humor. In my mind, that suggests 2 possibilities: (and a 3rd for good measure)

1.)You are somewhat deprived of a real sense of humor

2.)You are somewhat insecure about yourself and need to be reassured that your sarcasm can be met with a wink or a comment in response. Cause, you see, then you truly know that the magical sense of humor you have is reaching people.:wink:

Shall we add the 3rd?

3.)You don't get out too much.

Yet you still managed to become upset.

What makes you think I was upset?

Far from it.

This, in my mind, suggests two possibilities, which are not mutually exclusive:

1. You are somewhat deprived of a sense of humour.

2. You are somewhat insecure about yourself and gets overtly defensive at unnecessary times.

Thanks for the internet diagnosis, didn't know personality traits could be discerned this way.

Since you did it here, I took the liberty to follow suit above:wink:

You better get in touch with all the psychiatrists and anthropologists paying their research assistants real money here in America and in Denmark! Tell them they can save a bunch of money having people in India, China and Bangladesh diagnose people over the computer!

Maybe they'll give you some of the savings!:wink:

Make some money to supplement the income you get from the comedy touring.... you know, with that great sense of humor and all.:wink:

Whichever it is, I hope now you know, at least, that I never had the intention of upsetting you.

I was never upset, but thank you.

I have no intentions of upsetting you either.

So if you can stop the condescending tone...........................

It'd be very funny if you still didn't know if I was serious or not.

Then, I think we are done. In fact, we could be friends.
:wave:

:lol:

I laughed all the way through. I think we can :hug:

And I'll tick that third option, sadly.

:hug:

I think so too!

See you around.

Going to any 360 shows over there this summer?

If so, don't sit down in protest, unless you want to suffer the wrath of Larry Mullen Jr!

:hug:

I think so too!

See you around.

Going to any 360 shows over there this summer?

If so, don't sit down in protest, unless you want to suffer the wrath of Larry Mullen Jr!

:up:

Usually, when going to a U2 show, I have a hard time standing still, so I don't think that's going to be an issue.

I'm going to Turin, both Horsens gigs, and Coimbra I.

Are you making a dash for the European leg?

Sorry to bump this up after 5 years but had to be done - you can blame it on the fact that I've got withdrawal symptons from going to the gigs and need something to keep me occupied.

Does anyone have a video or photos of the fans during One where they created a circle?

Wow! An old thread, I know, but I didn't know the full details of what happened at this concert. I just knew there'd been some kind of protest. A very interesting read indeed! I've heard of (and witnessed) some childish behaviour from obsessed fans of bands/actors, etc, in the past but this is really quite something else! Lol. Sadly, in every fandom, there are always a small percentage of really obsessive fans who think they have some kind of entitlement to be at the front for every gig, and that no one else is allowed to be there but them. They think they're "special" and think the band thinks they're "special" (I'm sure the band DO think they're "special" but not in the positive way they think!) and they're the sort of fans who think the band personally like them more than any other fans or that, because they've met them a lot, they have a special relationship or even "friendship" (in their deluded minds) with the band! I've witnessed this kind of fan behaviour, not just with bands but with fans who go to see musical theatre shows (and try to befriend the entire cast!) or are fans of a particular actor and follow them wherever they go. Sadly these types of obsessed fans give other, regular fans a bad name. I always try to stay well away from that kind of crazy fandom and all the stupid petty bitchiness and rivalry that goes on. All the silly "I'm a bigger fan than you are" nonsense! What's crazy is that most of these obsessive fans are not young kids but grown adults who should know better! I too was surprised that the long whining post was by a guy as I usually see this kind of behaviour amongst women, rarely men!

I don't blame the band for wanting to see some different faces at the front for a change. I'm sure they do appreciate the loyalty of some fans but there is such a thing as overkill! Yes, anyone can queue early to get to the front if they want, but I don't understand why someone would WANT to be at the front for every single gig, especially when they go to so many of them! You'd think they'd realise that the band might be tired of always seeing the same faces night after night! I'd hate to think the band would look across at me and think "Oh God, not her AGAIN!" Sure, it's great to be on the front row for shows and to see your favourite band/show so close up but to be on the front row EVERY single night, for 20 or 30 shows on a tour?! Let other people who only get to see the band once have a chance!

Sure, it wasn't nice to be lied to like those fans were but to throw hissy fits, act like toddlers having a tantrum and spoil the concert for the band and the other fans standing near the "protesters", how selfish can they get?!! It makes sense to me that the band would want fans down the front who were seeing them for the first time and would be EXCITED about that and the band would feed off their excitement and energy, not a bunch of jaded fans who've been to so many shows they've probably become practically blase about them! All those protesting fans did is make the band angry at them and probably dislike them (they must know their faces if they've been to so many concerts), which you would think would mortify them (the fans I mean!) - to be disliked by the band they love (or at least by Larry, lol!)

Anyway, just my tuppence worth. Rant over! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom