Is This It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy Fizz

War Child
Hi - I am new to the Interference community. Longtime fan (1986 or so). :wave:

Curious to the views of the fans here about the upcoming tour and delayed album. I realize these topics have probably been debated to death from one angle or another.

Having said all that... I find myself caring less and less about the band as time goes on. Part of this is my own age and living a busy life. But I must admit it has a lot to do with the endless album delays and now this tour which I am conflicted about. I have decided to skip it (I may grab tickets if there is a drop at reasonable prices for the show in my town, but I doubt it).

I am also at the point of wondering if I even really care about, or want, another U2 album. If SOE (or whatever they decide to call it) is anything like SOI then i am ok to not hear another one from them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed SOI and still listen to a few tracks, but for me it had a short shelf life.

I am skeptical the band is capable of musical greatness again. The front man is a traveling saleman/politician, and the shows seem less and less rock n roll each tour. More broadway and technical wizardry, including artificial sound.

What are the thoughts here? Still as excited as ever? Hopeful but doubtful (like me)? Completely disenchanted? Something else?

thanks for taking the time to read my ramble...

cheers

You thought Elevation was less rock and roll than ZooTV or Popmart? That tour was clearly stripped down compared to the theatrics and spectacle of the previous two tours. Vertigo had the cool light curtain but again very modest compared to what they had done in the 1990s.

As for 360, once you get past the monstrosity of the setup, there wasn't a lot of theatre. The stage design was meant to open things up to the whole stadium, both visually and sound-wise, and I think both worked. Aside from Bono's laser suit during the encore and the space station linkup, it was pretty straightforward in terms of presenting the material.

Innocence + Experience is definitely more ambitious and "Broadway", but since many of the images are tied to Bono's (or the band's) past, I don't find it to be spectacle for spectacle's sake. You have a virtual tour down Cedarwood Road, Bono's son featured during Song For Someone...again, less garish and sensational than the 90s tours (which I loved regardless) . And of course the show opens with an extremely "rock and roll" run, all played under a single giant lightbulb.

The recordings are a different discussion, and I don't disagree that the band really has seemed confused these past two releases in terms of what they're trying to do. Until they stop the revolving door process with producers, we're going to keep getting mixed bags (and messages). At this point, I can't imagine how SOE will end up having less than 4 credited producers.

I'm also sitting out this tour. I just don't have the money of free time. When, and if, SOE is ever released,, I'll buy it. My one complaint with U2 is their wanting to be relevant bit. Make that two complaints. Their use of so many producers on one album bugs me too. As for not playing rock.
I think they mix up it pretty well. with the rock and ballad tunes.

I'm just grateful to finally be seeing the second half of the Joshua Tree live. That's enough for me. SOE is a distant curiosity that I will engage with someday. For now, I'm happy with what we're confirmed to be getting from the band this year.

i've said it a few times, i'm way more interested in a joshua tree tour than i am in a new album and SOE tour right now. i don't think they're ever going to make a truly great album again. i wish they would, but i just don't think they have it in them to write another one on the level of their best. i've never seen the majority of the JT songs live and i'd rather see them than some over-produced rehashed anthem single off a new album that i don't really care for.

Last edited:
You thought Elevation was less rock and roll than ZooTV or Popmart? That tour was clearly stripped down compared to the theatrics and spectacle of the previous two tours. Vertigo had the cool light curtain but again very modest compared to what they had done in the 1990s.

As for 360, once you get past the monstrosity of the setup, there wasn't a lot of theatre. The stage design was meant to open things up to the whole stadium, both visually and sound-wise, and I think both worked. Aside from Bono's laser suit during the encore and the space station linkup, it was pretty straightforward in terms of presenting the material.

Innocence + Experience is definitely more ambitious and "Broadway", but since many of the images are tied to Bono's (or the band's) past, I don't find it to be spectacle for spectacle's sake. You have a virtual tour down Cedarwood Road, Bono's son featured during Song For Someone...again, less garish and sensational than the 90s tours (which I loved regardless) . And of course the show opens with an extremely "rock and roll" run, all played under a single giant lightbulb.

The recordings are a different discussion, and I don't disagree that the band really has seemed confused these past two releases in terms of what they're trying to do. Until they stop the revolving door process with producers, we're going to keep getting mixed bags (and messages). At this point, I can't imagine how SOE will end up having less than 4 credited producers.

Excellent post!

Agree with every single word.

U2 still brings it live and even in the 1990s, the spectacle never overshadowed, much less substituted for the performance.

I thought I&E was the most "rock and roll" tour they've done since JT.

They tore through the early 1980s rockers like they were 23 again and breathed new life into a lot of the classics- Pride and WOWY most notable among them.

The SOI songs that had the Broadway production brought out the meanings of them very well. Iris, Cedarwood road, Song for someone and Raised by wolves all had a raw (musically and/or emotionally), authentic feeling to them.

i've said it a few times, i'm way more interested in a joshua tree tour than i am in a new album and SOE tour right now. i don't think they're ever going to make a truly great album again. i wish they would, but i just don't think they have it in them to write another one on the level of their best. i've never seen the majority of the JT songs live and i'd rather see them than some over-produced rehashed anthem single off a new album that i don't really care for.

Yep. This is basically what I've wanted U2 to do for ages. I couldn't care less if they never released another new song, but damn right I'd like to hear some of my favourite songs of all time live.

Incredibly excited though I am about The Joshua Tree tour (the original tour was the first proper gig I ever went to, at the age of 12), I really think they should just concentrate on making music, I'd rather hear Songs of Experience then see another tour if I'm honest.

U2 is by far the biggest, the best live band in the world with quality and creativity oozing from every aspect of their concert.

Yup. Like everyone else said, I am so excited to see tracks 6-11 of the Joshua Tree, which I've never seen live. And who knows, maybe they'll bring out another rarity during the rest of the set too.

I'm also in the rare minority that enjoys U2's post 90's work, even though yes there are some clunker songs in there. So hopefully we get SOE this year as I thought SOI was a really good album.

U2 is a band that truly takes a fan to sign onto a journey. If you ever get stuck in one period, or hop off the train for too long, it's nearly impossible to genuinely enjoy the next stage they hit.
We all know fans that are stuck in the 80-83/84 range. Wall all know fans stuck in the 84 to 88 range, or the 91 to 97 range, etc... But if you are like most people here, who have hung on tight for the entire ride, each release brings something to be appreciated and anticipated.
I for one have been a fan since 85, my most love leaning to the 90's material, and while I never fully embraced any of the 2000's albums in their entirety, it is impossible for me not to be in love with songs like Kite, WILATW, Vertigo, OOTS, COBL, Magnificent, Fez, MOS, NLOTH, EBW, Raised By Wolves, SLABT, and The Troubles...

And if i love 4 or 5 songs from SOE, it will be well worth it.

I don't think anyone here can argue that we wouldn't just love it if the band could shake the "relevance" bug and just put out something free from over-cooking. But it probably isn't what we are going to get.
I also don't think anyone here would be disappointed if the band released an album that actually resonated with the public again and allowed them to go out on a high note in the general public's perception.

I would love to get both of those things with SOE. It will be fun to find out what we end up with though. :)

So, enjoy the ride. If you've taken too many breaks and pit stops along the way, you'll probably be disappointed no matter what.

Yup. Like everyone else said, I am so excited to see tracks 6-11 of the Joshua Tree, which I've never seen live. And who knows, maybe they'll bring out another rarity during the rest of the set too.

I'm also in the rare minority that enjoys U2's post 90's work, even though yes there are some clunker songs in there. So hopefully we get SOE this year as I thought SOI was a really good album.

:up::up::up:

U2 is a band that truly takes a fan to sign onto a journey. If you ever get stuck in one period, or hop off the train for too long, it's nearly impossible to genuinely enjoy the next stage they hit.
We all know fans that are stuck in the 80-83/84 range. Wall all know fans stuck in the 84 to 88 range, or the 91 to 97 range, etc... But if you are like most people here, who have hung on tight for the entire ride, each release brings something to be appreciated and anticipated.
I for one have been a fan since 85, my most love leaning to the 90's material, and while I never fully embraced any of the 2000's albums in their entirety, it is impossible for me not to be in love with songs like Kite, WILATW, Vertigo, OOTS, COBL, Magnificent, Fez, MOS, NLOTH, EBW, Raised By Wolves, SLABT, and The Troubles...

I don't think anyone here can argue that we wouldn't just love it if the band could shake the "relevance" bug and just put out something free from over-cooking. But it probably isn't what we are going to get.
I also don't think anyone here would be disappointed if the band released an album that actually resonated with the public again and allowed them to go out on a high note in the general public's perception.

I would love to get both of those things with SOE. It will be fun to find out what we end up with though. :)

So, enjoy the ride. If you've taken too many breaks and pit stops along the way, you'll probably be disappointed no matter what.

:up::up::up:

Comfortably with Ax and DaveC on this. In fact I've been saying it for five years: I'm so much more interested in nostalgia tours than new music. Contrary to what Dave says I DO think they've got a truly great album in them, several in fact, but we will NEVER hear them, because they're all fucking morons who are completely unwilling to accept the fact that literally no one gives a shit about them anymore. The Joshua Tree tour is easily the best (and smartest) thing they've done since 2004 and the Vertigo commercial, which was the last time they were relevant. Not a single person has cared for the last 13 years and that's not going to change when the band are too scared to just fucking release the great music they're capable of making, instead taking years to come up with a shitty hedge-betting record that has no appeal after two or three listens.

I am flying to LA to see this tour, because the idea of hearing RTSS and Exit and One Tree Hill makes my heart swell with emotion.

Waiting another two years for an album called Songs of Experience that will contain at best two really good songs makes my heart walk out the door with boredom and no care. There's so much great new music coming out every week.

Totally with Ax:

Yep. This is basically what I've wanted U2 to do for ages. I couldn't care less if they never released another new song, but damn right I'd like to hear some of my favourite songs of all time live.

I'd love it if they spent the rest of their career touring around playing old songs with a great, rotating setlists. I've got no interest in waiting years and years to see them release an album that isn't any good.

After Popmart they said they'd never book a tour before finishing an album ever again. The Live Nation contract has effectively forced them to do exactly that. Without it, maybe there'd be another 5.5 years until the next album + tour comes out. Maybe when it finally comes out it'll be OK, but it doesn't matter too much because it's now secondary to the excitement for the JT tour. While the tour is happening, SOE is effectively a side-project. They'll get their 'relevance' for the year from the tour. This should give them license to be a little less self-aware while finishing SOE (but they probably won't take advantage of this).

I do like 00s/10s U2, but when there's only a compromised album released every five years, a new one isn't at the top of the priority list.

Last edited:

I think I agree with this post the most. :up:

And great location there... moons of Zooropa! :wave:

Ryan Tedder back in the studio isn't promising in terms of them being less self-aware.

If they're trying to 'finish' songs that have endured through the hands of multiple producers, yeah it's not the best sign.

I enjoyed SOI more than any other U2 album since AB so I'm excited for SOE. If they can come up with another good release idea we will be fine (or a decent lead single but that's another story...).

Definitely not excited about no$talgia tours playing a 30 year old album that might create some buzz now but U2 will be just as old and not-cared about once the tour stops.

Even if they have a new album, two thirds of the songs played in a typical show will be old. They should wait until three new albums are done before touring again.

Contrary to what Dave says I DO think they've got a truly great album in them, several in fact, but we will NEVER hear them, because they're all fucking morons who are completely unwilling to accept the fact that literally no one gives a shit about them anymore. The Joshua Tree tour is easily the best (and smartest) thing they've done since 2004 and the Vertigo commercial, which was the last time they were relevant. Not a single person has cared for the last 13 years and that's not going to change when the band are too scared to just fucking release the great music they're capable of making, instead taking years to come up with a shitty hedge-betting record that has no appeal after two or three listens.

yea, this is more or less what i meant by that, you said it well. it's not that i think they're incapable of writing a truly special album anymore, but i do indeed think they're incapable of recording and releasing that truly special album. the desire for creative risk-taking and the willingness to release something that the public might not get totally behind, the kind that got us zooropa, or passengers, or shit even the unforgettable fire, is mainly gone now. every song needs 12 producers meddling with it and 3 years of rewriting. there's no spontaneity or spark to the many overwrought attempts at the safe radio anthem hit and as a result i can barely listen to most of their post-pop material. it's not me being dismissive, because i *want* to like it. i forced myself through many listens to HTDAAB in the mid-late 00s trying to get it to grow on me. the back half of SOI is the best music they've made since pop because it's different from most of what they've made in this time period - SLABT is my favourite song on SOI because it actually sets a dark mood that reminds me of songs like gone, please, love is blindness, etc. i get no mood at all from songs like the miracle, or song for someone. they're not *bad songs*, they just don't interest me in actively going and listening to them in the slightest, just yet another emotionless, u2-by-the-phoned-in-numbers anthem-y or ballad-y song that i can hear a million of from the likes of coldplay or one republic on the radio any time. nobody wants that but that's what u2 keeps giving us because that's how the u2 machine is geared now, the priority now being on safe operation at all times, all risk of the machine failing catastrophically having been stripped out 20 years ago at the cost of the quality of the final product.

we are all tired of this 100-producer, five-year simmer crap they do now, but i really don't think they're professionally capable of doing otherwise anymore. this is what they are now. ryan tedder is the latest in a long line of producers in the studio working on SOE so obviously this album is going to be going down the same road. i can't get myself excited for something that in all likelihood is going to bore me after a couple listens. like cobbler said there is just too much good new music out now to get excited about.

i hope i'm completely wrong, because like i said i think they are still capable of writing another real masterpiece. but i don't think "U2 inc" (including the management and all the band's retainer employees) and the way the process is established and set up for the band now that they could, or even would want to, take the risks that actually recording and releasing that masterpiece in its unadultered and un-neutered form would require.

Last edited:
I've always been more excited about their new stuff and what they're going to do next than I have been about nostalgia releases. But I wasn't really around yet when JT came out, so I can't relate to the feelings of people who have fond memories of that period.

But as far as being excited about U2 in general, I have to admit that most of it has worn off for me. The "honeymoon phase" has long since ended and I have more of a familiar affection for them than a fanatical obsession, which is a normal progression after 15 years.

Well said Dave.

If U2 went down the Nick Cave path and just recorded and released albums full of the music that they're capable of making I would 100% be more interested in new music than nostalgia tours. 100%. That would be incredibly exciting.

But how any of you can prefer that when the music they're recording and releasing is taking five years and 15 producers and 150,000 rewrites and ends up being middle-of-the-road is completely beyond me.

Well said Dave.

If U2 went down the Nick Cave path and just recorded and released albums full of the music that they're capable of making I would 100% be more interested in new music than nostalgia tours. 100%. That would be incredibly exciting.

But how any of you can prefer that when the music they're recording and releasing is taking five years and 15 producers and 150,000 rewrites and ends up being middle-of-the-road is completely beyond me.

this very much.

i'm genuinely excited to hear songs like exit and red hill mining town live. couldn't give less of a fuck about hearing with or without you 3.0: the darkest timeline every breaking wave 2.0. i would be very happy if they also did this kind of tour for achtung baby (acrobat!!) and the unforgettable fire (i'd have an embarrassing accident if i actually got to hear wire live), and i'd also happily take both of those in a heartbeat if it meant u2 would never release another album of new music again. they can still consistently make good songs; their days of making great albums are sadly behind them.

there is nothing inherently wrong with this, despite the objections of some around here lately. when you have a back catalogue as strong as u2's, you *should* celebrate it (although it does pain me to see them giving no love to pop on the 20th - that is the one remaster i would at this point still pay gobs of money i don't have for, regardless of the quality of the extra content). this is very far from something like peter frampton playing nothing but a setlist full of the 70s hits that only the olds want to hear on a tour in 2017.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with Cobbler and Dave. Very well put, gents. I am not interested in U2 for new music. There is so much incredible stuff happening in so many genres that waiting for one group of compulsive second-guessers is a waste of time, especially when the returns for almost 20 years have been dismal. I would rather they celebrate their landmark achievements than keep trying to tell us in increasingly overcooked and convoluted ways about the moment, the exact second, the precise instant, at which the miracle, the astonishing miraculous experience, occurred.

Well said Dave.

Agree totally. SOI did nothing for me and I really dont care about SOE. But I'd rather they just retire than go down the nostalgia road. I accept the fact though that I'm a minority here in having this view. I am mindful of another recent thread.

Back
Top Bottom