Is This It? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Is This It?

Hi - I am new to the Interference community. Longtime fan (1986 or so).

Curious to the views of the fans here about the upcoming tour and delayed album. I realize these topics have probably been debated to death from one angle or another.

Having said all that... I find myself caring less and less about the band as time goes on. Part of this is my own age and living a busy life. But I must admit it has a lot to do with the endless album delays and now this tour which I am conflicted about. I have decided to skip it (I may grab tickets if there is a drop at reasonable prices for the show in my town, but I doubt it).

I am also at the point of wondering if I even really care about, or want, another U2 album. If SOE (or whatever they decide to call it) is anything like SOI then i am ok to not hear another one from them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed SOI and still listen to a few tracks, but for me it had a short shelf life.

I am skeptical the band is capable of musical greatness again. The front man is a traveling saleman/politician, and the shows seem less and less rock n roll each tour. More broadway and technical wizardry, including artificial sound.

What are the thoughts here? Still as excited as ever? Hopeful but doubtful (like me)? Completely disenchanted? Something else?

thanks for taking the time to read my ramble...

cheers

Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

You thought Elevation was less rock and roll than ZooTV or Popmart? That tour was clearly stripped down compared to the theatrics and spectacle of the previous two tours. Vertigo had the cool light curtain but again very modest compared to what they had done in the 1990s.

As for 360, once you get past the monstrosity of the setup, there wasn't a lot of theatre. The stage design was meant to open things up to the whole stadium, both visually and sound-wise, and I think both worked. Aside from Bono's laser suit during the encore and the space station linkup, it was pretty straightforward in terms of presenting the material.

Innocence + Experience is definitely more ambitious and "Broadway", but since many of the images are tied to Bono's (or the band's) past, I don't find it to be spectacle for spectacle's sake. You have a virtual tour down Cedarwood Road, Bono's son featured during Song For Someone...again, less garish and sensational than the 90s tours (which I loved regardless) . And of course the show opens with an extremely "rock and roll" run, all played under a single giant lightbulb.

The recordings are a different discussion, and I don't disagree that the band really has seemed confused these past two releases in terms of what they're trying to do. Until they stop the revolving door process with producers, we're going to keep getting mixed bags (and messages). At this point, I can't imagine how SOE will end up having less than 4 credited producers.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:10 PM
According to Leo's body language; yes, this is it.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:10 PM
I'm also sitting out this tour. I just don't have the money of free time. When, and if, SOE is ever released,, I'll buy it. My one complaint with U2 is their wanting to be relevant bit. Make that two complaints. Their use of so many producers on one album bugs me too. As for not playing rock.
I think they mix up it pretty well. with the rock and ballad tunes.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
The Male

I'm just grateful to finally be seeing the second half of the Joshua Tree live. That's enough for me. SOE is a distant curiosity that I will engage with someday. For now, I'm happy with what we're confirmed to be getting from the band this year.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

i've said it a few times, i'm way more interested in a joshua tree tour than i am in a new album and SOE tour right now. i don't think they're ever going to make a truly great album again. i wish they would, but i just don't think they have it in them to write another one on the level of their best. i've never seen the majority of the JT songs live and i'd rather see them than some over-produced rehashed anthem single off a new album that i don't really care for.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
You thought Elevation was less rock and roll than ZooTV or Popmart? That tour was clearly stripped down compared to the theatrics and spectacle of the previous two tours. Vertigo had the cool light curtain but again very modest compared to what they had done in the 1990s.

As for 360, once you get past the monstrosity of the setup, there wasn't a lot of theatre. The stage design was meant to open things up to the whole stadium, both visually and sound-wise, and I think both worked. Aside from Bono's laser suit during the encore and the space station linkup, it was pretty straightforward in terms of presenting the material.

Innocence + Experience is definitely more ambitious and "Broadway", but since many of the images are tied to Bono's (or the band's) past, I don't find it to be spectacle for spectacle's sake. You have a virtual tour down Cedarwood Road, Bono's son featured during Song For Someone...again, less garish and sensational than the 90s tours (which I loved regardless) . And of course the show opens with an extremely "rock and roll" run, all played under a single giant lightbulb.

The recordings are a different discussion, and I don't disagree that the band really has seemed confused these past two releases in terms of what they're trying to do. Until they stop the revolving door process with producers, we're going to keep getting mixed bags (and messages). At this point, I can't imagine how SOE will end up having less than 4 credited producers.
Excellent post!

Agree with every single word.

U2 still brings it live and even in the 1990s, the spectacle never overshadowed, much less substituted for the performance.

I thought I&E was the most "rock and roll" tour they've done since JT.

They tore through the early 1980s rockers like they were 23 again and breathed new life into a lot of the classics- Pride and WOWY most notable among them.

The SOI songs that had the Broadway production brought out the meanings of them very well. Iris, Cedarwood road, Song for someone and Raised by wolves all had a raw (musically and/or emotionally), authentic feeling to them.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i've said it a few times, i'm way more interested in a joshua tree tour than i am in a new album and SOE tour right now. i don't think they're ever going to make a truly great album again. i wish they would, but i just don't think they have it in them to write another one on the level of their best. i've never seen the majority of the JT songs live and i'd rather see them than some over-produced rehashed anthem single off a new album that i don't really care for.

Yep. This is basically what I've wanted U2 to do for ages. I couldn't care less if they never released another new song, but damn right I'd like to hear some of my favourite songs of all time live.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Incredibly excited though I am about The Joshua Tree tour (the original tour was the first proper gig I ever went to, at the age of 12), I really think they should just concentrate on making music, I'd rather hear Songs of Experience then see another tour if I'm honest.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 09:10 AM
U2 is by far the biggest, the best live band in the world with quality and creativity oozing from every aspect of their concert.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Yup. Like everyone else said, I am so excited to see tracks 6-11 of the Joshua Tree, which I've never seen live. And who knows, maybe they'll bring out another rarity during the rest of the set too.

I'm also in the rare minority that enjoys U2's post 90's work, even though yes there are some clunker songs in there. So hopefully we get SOE this year as I thought SOI was a really good album.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:10 AM
U2 is a band that truly takes a fan to sign onto a journey. If you ever get stuck in one period, or hop off the train for too long, it's nearly impossible to genuinely enjoy the next stage they hit.
We all know fans that are stuck in the 80-83/84 range. Wall all know fans stuck in the 84 to 88 range, or the 91 to 97 range, etc... But if you are like most people here, who have hung on tight for the entire ride, each release brings something to be appreciated and anticipated.
I for one have been a fan since 85, my most love leaning to the 90's material, and while I never fully embraced any of the 2000's albums in their entirety, it is impossible for me not to be in love with songs like Kite, WILATW, Vertigo, OOTS, COBL, Magnificent, Fez, MOS, NLOTH, EBW, Raised By Wolves, SLABT, and The Troubles...

And if i love 4 or 5 songs from SOE, it will be well worth it.

I don't think anyone here can argue that we wouldn't just love it if the band could shake the "relevance" bug and just put out something free from over-cooking. But it probably isn't what we are going to get.
I also don't think anyone here would be disappointed if the band released an album that actually resonated with the public again and allowed them to go out on a high note in the general public's perception.

I would love to get both of those things with SOE. It will be fun to find out what we end up with though.

So, enjoy the ride. If you've taken too many breaks and pit stops along the way, you'll probably be disappointed no matter what.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yup. Like everyone else said, I am so excited to see tracks 6-11 of the Joshua Tree, which I've never seen live. And who knows, maybe they'll bring out another rarity during the rest of the set too.

I'm also in the rare minority that enjoys U2's post 90's work, even though yes there are some clunker songs in there. So hopefully we get SOE this year as I thought SOI was a really good album.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
U2 is a band that truly takes a fan to sign onto a journey. If you ever get stuck in one period, or hop off the train for too long, it's nearly impossible to genuinely enjoy the next stage they hit.
We all know fans that are stuck in the 80-83/84 range. Wall all know fans stuck in the 84 to 88 range, or the 91 to 97 range, etc... But if you are like most people here, who have hung on tight for the entire ride, each release brings something to be appreciated and anticipated.
I for one have been a fan since 85, my most love leaning to the 90's material, and while I never fully embraced any of the 2000's albums in their entirety, it is impossible for me not to be in love with songs like Kite, WILATW, Vertigo, OOTS, COBL, Magnificent, Fez, MOS, NLOTH, EBW, Raised By Wolves, SLABT, and The Troubles...

And if i love 4 or 5 songs from SOE, it will be well worth it.

I don't think anyone here can argue that we wouldn't just love it if the band could shake the "relevance" bug and just put out something free from over-cooking. But it probably isn't what we are going to get.
I also don't think anyone here would be disappointed if the band released an album that actually resonated with the public again and allowed them to go out on a high note in the general public's perception.

I would love to get both of those things with SOE. It will be fun to find out what we end up with though.

So, enjoy the ride. If you've taken too many breaks and pit stops along the way, you'll probably be disappointed no matter what.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #15
45:33

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Comfortably with Ax and DaveC on this. In fact I've been saying it for five years: I'm so much more interested in nostalgia tours than new music. Contrary to what Dave says I DO think they've got a truly great album in them, several in fact, but we will NEVER hear them, because they're all fucking morons who are completely unwilling to accept the fact that literally no one gives a shit about them anymore. The Joshua Tree tour is easily the best (and smartest) thing they've done since 2004 and the Vertigo commercial, which was the last time they were relevant. Not a single person has cared for the last 13 years and that's not going to change when the band are too scared to just fucking release the great music they're capable of making, instead taking years to come up with a shitty hedge-betting record that has no appeal after two or three listens.

I am flying to LA to see this tour, because the idea of hearing RTSS and Exit and One Tree Hill makes my heart swell with emotion.

Waiting another two years for an album called Songs of Experience that will contain at best two really good songs makes my heart walk out the door with boredom and no care. There's so much great new music coming out every week.

Totally with Ax:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep. This is basically what I've wanted U2 to do for ages. I couldn't care less if they never released another new song, but damn right I'd like to hear some of my favourite songs of all time live.
I'd love it if they spent the rest of their career touring around playing old songs with a great, rotating setlists. I've got no interest in waiting years and years to see them release an album that isn't any good.