Is The Edge Still U2's Best Guitarist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quietguy

The Fly
I have read that Bono has greatly improved his guitar playing over the past decade (who can forget his Latin-flavored intro to the acoustic Staring At The Sun Popmart version). Adam has also returned to guitar chores since U2 reintroduced "40" to their setlists, but was already holding an acoustic guitar as early as 1985 in the video of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid. So these are new developments.

Edge relies on a lot of guitar effects (infinite guitar in WOWY) and delays (Streets, Bad, Ultraviolet) and distorted power chords (Vertigo, Hold Me Thrill Me) for his signature sounds.

Let's just say if Edge, Adam, and Bono were to compete without reliance to effects, pedals or amplifiers. On a pure acoustic guitar, on a chord-by-chord basis, who do you think would come out on top?

I still think The Edge is still the sheriff in town when it comes to U2. Anyone think otherwise?

...qg

I have read that Bono has greatly improved his guitar playing over the past decade (who can forget his Latin-flavored intro to the acoustic Staring At The Sun Popmart version). Adam has also returned to guitar chores since U2 reintroduced "40" to their setlists, but was already holding an acoustic guitar as early as 1985 in the video of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid. So these are new developments.

Edge relies on a lot of guitar effects (infinite guitar in WOWY) and delays (Streets, Bad, Ultraviolet) and distorted power chords (Vertigo, Hold Me Thrill Me) for his signature sounds.

Let's just say if Edge, Adam, and Bono were to compete without reliance to effects, pedals or amplifiers. On a pure acoustic guitar, on a chord-by-chord basis, who do you think would come out on top?

I still think The Edge is still the sheriff in town when it comes to U2. Anyone think otherwise?

...qg

dude...are you serious?

Edge shits on Bono and anyone else in the band in terms of guitar playing...his mind for the guitar is far more advanced than Bono's or Adam's...and his technical playing ability is light years ahead of Bono or Adam...I can't even believe I just answered this question in a serious tone....

I think David's response is far more effective....:shrug:

I'd say the Edge is their only guitarist.

hahaha bono?, not even play rhythm guitar well, somethimes seens he is spanking a cat, the edge is one of the best guitar player in 20 years.You are funny man.

Strange question indeed. Edge is without a doubt the best guitarist of U2 and maybe one of the best the last couple of years. Bono isnt a bad guitarist he can play some good stuff but defenitly not better then the edge.

Edge, who else ?

Bono might improve on his guitar had he actually played it more than one or two songs on tour (granted, we don't know how much he plays in the studio when they make records) for the past 25+ years.

Edge... obviously... and his effect pedals are part of why he is such an amazing guitarist, anyway...

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's nice to know many share my sentiments about The Edge status' as U2's top guitarist.

...qg

No, Bono is the better guitarist and Edge the better singer.
On the new album, they will finally reveal their true talents and swap the roles.

I know Edge is a chord virtuoso from the Rattle and Hum video practicing "When Love Comes To Town" when guitar legend BB King said "I can't play chords" and Bono told him that Edge can play chords.

But I just want some opinions: would there be some guitar chords (or at least one!) which Bono or Adam can strum better than Edge? (and I mean "pure" chords without the need for effects or pedals)

...qg

I'm not really sure one can be a better strummer than another on a certain chord. As in "Dude, my E minor chord wipes the floor with yours."

How would you even judge that Edge plays a better F chord than Bono?

I'm not really sure if we should take you seriously or not. Post a few more topics so we can get a better frame of reference for you. ;)

I'm not really sure one can be a better strummer than another on a certain chord. As in "Dude, my E minor chord wipes the floor with yours."

How would you even judge that Edge plays a better F chord than Bono?

I'm not really sure if we should take you seriously or not. Post a few more topics so we can get a better frame of reference for you. ;)

hahaha, yeah man my Dmin7 chord totally owns your Csus2

:laugh:

quietguy...the Edge is simply the greatest musician of his generation. I don't think anyone with a brain would disagree....

quietguy...the Edge is simply the greatest musician of his generation. I don't think anyone with a brain would disagree....

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He's the best musician in U2, but let's leave it at that for the moment.

I hope you are kidding, because the Edge is an average musician, at best. His work with sounds is commendable (and the producers probably get some credit for that), but as a guitarist, he doesn't blow anyone away, anyone with a brain at least.

I think quite a few would, actually. And they might even have perfectly justifiable reasons to do so.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He's the best musician in U2, but let's leave it at that for the moment.

oh of course, Diemen...and LM....I was merely quoting Bono in an interview where he said these exact words pretty much...I wasn't really being that serious haha...I thought many would pick up on it...guess not :giggle:

if you want my opinion....I think Edge is one of the top 100 greatest guitarists EVER....but not sure exactly where he places in that top 100 list :shrug:

actually maybe that list should be extended a little bit...not sure, I haven't really given it too much thought....

oh of course, Diemen...and LM....I was merely quoting Bono in an interview where he said these exact words pretty much...I wasn't really being that serious haha...I thought many would pick up on it...guess not :giggle:

Ha. Bono also thinks he's every bit the genius Van Gogh is.

Back
Top Bottom