Is The Edge Still U2's Best Guitarist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you want my opinion....I think Edge is one of the top 100 greatest guitarists EVER....but not sure exactly where he places in that top 100 list :shrug:

actually maybe that list should be extended a little bit...not sure, I haven't really given it too much thought....

Here are guitars I'd instantly put over The Edge:

Jan Akkerman
Chuck Berry
Lindsey Buckingham
Al DiMeola
Mark Farner
Robert Fripp
David Gilmour
Steve Hackett
Steve Howe
B.B. King
Johnny Marr
John McLaughlin
Jimmy Page
Mike Ronson
Todd Rundgren
Pete Townsend
Steve Wilson
Carlos Santana

That's surprisingly only 18 guitarists. :up:

Outside of Chuck Berry and Lindsay Buckingham, that's a fair list, Screw. Of course, several of those guitarists play styles of music that differ greatly to Edge, but that's to be expected from lists like yours.

Edge is a good guitarist, but nothing I've heard from him makes me think he is awesome. His skill comes in creating fantastic tone and ambience to the song, complementing and texturing rather than standing out as a work of technical brilliance.

Being technically amazing is one thing, but all the finger gymnastics in the world won't help a crap song become good, it needs a riff, hook or melody to hang its hat on.

PS. Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitarist, especially with very technical finger-picking.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's nice to know many share my sentiments about The Edge status' as U2's top guitarist.

...qg

Bush%20confused%2021_a.jpg

Here are guitars I'd instantly put over The Edge:

Jan Akkerman
Chuck Berry
Lindsey Buckingham
Al DiMeola
Mark Farner
Robert Fripp
David Gilmour
Steve Hackett
Steve Howe
B.B. King
Johnny Marr
John McLaughlin
Jimmy Page
Mike Ronson
Todd Rundgren
Pete Townsend
Steve Wilson
Carlos Santana

That's surprisingly only 18 guitarists. :up:

Hendrix, Eric Clapton? No? Ok.... :scratch:

Yeah I thought about it a little longer...Edge is in my mind definitely on the list of 100 greatest guitar players ever.....

I'd put Slash, George Harrison, Jonny Greenwood, Nels Cline, Tom Morello, and John Cale on there as well.

And yes, Edge is still U2's best guitarist, if anyone's still really wondering. I'm not really a wizard.

Who's the better drummer?

I say Larry Mullen... but Bono played on LAPOE

what do you think? :hyper:

I dunno... there's a recording of a soundcheck from 1981 with Edge on drums and Bono on guitar... maybe Edge is the best drummer in U2...

It's All Relative

I have read that Bono has greatly improved his guitar playing over the past decade

Yes, perhaps he has. But, saying Bono has "improved" his guitar-playing is like saying George Bush has improved his Hurricane-response strategy from Katrina to Gustav.

I think the poster who said he was "spanking a chicken" or whatever hit it head on. Onstage, Bono will spasmodically thrash whichever chord he's holding down, but only between verses, and completely out of rhythm with the song. It tells you something when his own bandmate (Larry) described his guitar playing a few years ago as "appalling."

Don't get me wrong -- Bono is a musical genius in his way, but his way is most definitely not guitar skill.

Edge rules the U2 guitar-roost.

good question....NOT.

Me and my friend have this running joke that Bono's not even plugged in. He's improved but I havent heard anything impressive, he just plays rythem.

Hell, even Ed O'Brien, Radiohead's resident Edge-impersonator, is better than the Edge. Check out Street Spirit, Myxomatosis, and Weird Fishes.

I've heard them and love them, but don't necessarily agree.

I'd love to hear Edge pursue more solo work, maybe in the vein of Jonny's orchestral work. That would be interesting to hear.

It's a bit disappointing to see this thread veer a bit off topic. I don't care about the other guitar greats mentioned there. Even BB King said in R&H that he can't play the chords in When Love Comes To Town, and then The Edge came to his rescue. This topic is purely about The Edge's place in U2 guitar-lore.

No one has answered m hypothetical question yet: Is there at least one chord that Bono or Adam can play better than The Edge? And I mean in a mano-a-mano, head-to-head competitive atmosphere with pure natural guitars without reliance on amplifiers, effects, or pedals?

...qg

It's a bit disappointing to see this thread veer a bit off topic.

Um...yeah, good luck with that. ;) :lol:

No one has answered m hypothetical question yet: Is there at least one chord that Bono or Adam can play better than The Edge? And I mean in a mano-a-mano, head-to-head competitive atmosphere with pure natural guitars without reliance on amplifiers, effects, or pedals?

...qg

I think Bono and/or Adam have about as much chance of out playing Edge -- even one chord only -- as my cat and I do. :)

It's a bit disappointing to see this thread veer a bit off topic. I don't care about the other guitar greats mentioned there. Even BB King said in R&H that he can't play the chords in When Love Comes To Town, and then The Edge came to his rescue. This topic is purely about The Edge's place in U2 guitar-lore.

...qg

dude are you out of your mind? Bono, Larry, Adam, or Paul cannot do one single thing on the guitar better than Edge...plain and simple....they can't play one chord, one note, or one song better than the Edge....not now not ever...is that a good enough answer?

Street mission, Bullet live, Fly, One tree hill, Kite live, Holy joe, Knocking on heaven's door live[Sydney 18-11-1989],Dancing barefoot, All along watch tour live, Hawk moon live, WGRYWH live in East Rutherford in 92, Silver and gold live------

solos from those songs clearly shows that if EDGE wanted, he could be one of the top 5 guiter players. But he concentrates more on being part of the song then show off. In my opinion he is a true genius.

I'd say the Edge is their only guitarist.
QFT.

:huh: why even bother asking this question?

Bono SUCKS at playing guitar, and Adam plays guitar for ONE WHOLE song. The Edge does the other 400something, so Adam's suddenly in the race for being the better guitarist?

Bono's guitar is usually at such a low volume people can barely hear it, and we assume that has a reason. And no, it's not that he's too good so they turn his volume down not to hurt Edge's feelings.

Street mission, Bullet live, Fly, One tree hill, Kite live, Holy joe, Knocking on heaven's door live[Sydney 18-11-1989],Dancing barefoot, All along watch tour live, Hawk moon live, WGRYWH live in East Rutherford in 92, Silver and gold live------

solos from those songs clearly shows that if EDGE wanted, he could be one of the top 5 guiter players. But he concentrates more on being part of the song then show off. In my opinion he is a true genius.

I think you missed the point. No question Edge is the best guitar soloist in the band. But my topic deals with pure chord-playing ability. Have Bono or Adam perhaps overtaken Edge in at least one or some chords? To me, I think Edge is still the best from A to G, no ifs and no buts.

...qg

Back
Top Bottom