Is it true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

11o´clock

Refugee
I´ve read in some sites (I don´t remember them) where it is said that Bono is hated or just not loved in Ireland because he doesn´t pay taxes there or something like that.....

I've heard it explained (and even by Bono himself) that in Ireland, people who have done well for themselves are often resented instead of admired.

And the tax thing, U2 moved part of their business overseas for tax purposes. This has somehow become, in some people's minds, evidence that Bono doesn't pay taxes in Ireland.

Some people think that reflects poorly on Bono and what he does with his work outside U2. Whether it does or doesn't, it's ridiculous that people have made the leap to assume that he doesn't pay any taxes at all.

Of COURSE Bono is hated in Ireland. Why do you think no one ever shows up to U2 shows in Dublin?

:wink:

Of COURSE Bono is hated in Ireland. Why do you think no one ever shows up to U2 shows in Dublin?

They all protest the shows and then stop the protests during the shows so that the protesters can enjoy the shows.

I've heard it explained (and even by Bono himself) that in Ireland, people who have done well for themselves are often resented instead of admired.

And the tax thing, U2 moved part of their business overseas for tax purposes. This has somehow become, in some people's minds, evidence that Bono doesn't pay taxes in Ireland.

Some people think that reflects poorly on Bono and what he does with his work outside U2. Whether it does or doesn't, it's ridiculous that people have made the leap to assume that he doesn't pay any taxes at all.

It always annoyed me when Bono says that. People begruding other people's succeess is not something more typical of Ireland than anywhere else in the world.

Though as an Irishman it has always surprised me that U2 aren't more popular back home.

People who think that way are misinformed, because Bono does pay taxes in Ireland. But I don't think these people care that they are misinformed; they're just excited to have another reason to bash Bono. U2 as an organization moved part of their financial operations to the Netherlands; Bono, who is an individual person, lives and owns property in Ireland and therefore pays taxes. This is true for all the band members. If you try to tell this to the aforementioned Bono bashers, it will go in one ear and out the other. They will continue to proclaim that Bono is a hypocrite, tax evader, etc.

People who think that way are misinformed, because Bono does pay taxes in Ireland. But I don't think these people care that they are misinformed; they're just excited to have another reason to bash Bono. U2 as an organization moved part of their financial operations to the Netherlands; Bono, who is an individual person, lives and owns property in Ireland and therefore pays taxes. This is true for all the band members. If you try to tell this to the aforementioned Bono bashers, it will go in one ear and out the other. They will continue to proclaim that Bono is a hypocrite, tax evader, etc.
Yes, ´cause there´s no point in arguing with people who don´t want to understand.
Personally, I don´t judge Bono by paying taxes or not....

it's truuuue it's trrrrruuue... they hate Edge toooooooo.. though! torn in two, he'll still sing One!

They're all foreigners. No Irish people ever go. Trust me on this. :yes:

I´ve read in some sites (I don´t remember them) where it is said that Bono is hated or just not loved in Ireland because he doesn´t pay taxes there or something like that.....

Nah, he's hated primarily because he's a windbag and full of himself. The tax issue is secondary.

They're all foreigners. No Irish people ever go. Trust me on this. :yes:

There's a grain of truth in this. However at Croke Park last year it seemed to be mainly Irish people near me. Also their albums have consistently sold as well if not better in their home country as anywhere else - at least up until NLOTH.

Nah, he's hated primarily because he's a windbag and full of himself. The tax issue is secondary.

It seems like the anti-Bono sentiment has grown in the last few years, particularly after the tax "scandal"...or it may appear so because thanks to the internet you can google up any "_____ (insert celebrity name) sucks" topic.

As long as he is paying taxes in my country, I won't hate him.

Well he's not. Bono pays tax only in Ireland. U2, however, or more precise Not Us Ltd. Is paying taxes in Holland. Because the royalties of the company have moved over here.

Well he's not. Bono pays tax only in Ireland. U2, however, or more precise Not Us Ltd. Is paying taxes in Holland. Because the royalties of the company have moved over here.

Sorry, you're right. I to much as Bono = U2. Stupid frontmenposition..

Not exactly. Bono pays taxes in the countries he has residences in. U2 pay taxes in the countries they perform in. That basically means they are paying taxes everywhere in the world. Saying that "Bono doesn't pay taxes" is gravely simplifying a very complex issue. Of course people who just hate Bono and U2 don't think much about that, they just need a convenient argument for their hating and, unfortunately, the tax issue is the first one that comes to mind. Bad move by U2, no question here, but I somehow understand why they did it (and why a lot of other companies are also doing it). As for Ireland, they are still paying a lot of taxes there since it's their primary residence. Bono and Ali have been living abroad for the longest time now, but since they're house is or was under construction I would assume they plan to move back to Ireland in the future.

They live back in Ireland already. The house was finished before the end of july this summer. And I did forget about his French house so yeah, he pays tax there and in NY.
Either way, I'm 100% sure that Bono pays FAR more tax than the people who bitch about him.

Back
Top Bottom