Is it just me, or as the tours have progressed Bono has...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StormierZiggy

The Fly
.....been speaking more lines as opposed to singing.

Listen to some of the "old classics", add in a few songs that were fresh and energized like The Fly during ZOO TV, and listen to how as the years go on, Bono seems to be putting, well I dont want to say less effort, but less feeling into them perhaps?

Listen to a few songs from Popmart, and his failing voice aside, some songs he doesn't even try to reach notes he's killing on the Vertigo tour even.

Also, the Elevation performances of The Fly, with its beautiful intro in Boston aside, tend to be weaker musically than the incredible Vertigo "fly" performances. However, Bono seems to be really into it and making all the notes on Elevation, yet on the Chicago performance, I noted on the first verse he just seems to be talking in tune through it, like ive seen him do in recent years with SBS and One at times.

I know I'll be shot with Popmart endorsed sleeper darts for nitpicking here, because he is, as we all are, aging. He can't be expected to sing every song 110% every night. He's brilliant, but only human. I'm just hoping he regains his old fire with some of the classics. Because as the music for some songs improves live, his vocals appear to be becoming more spoken on some songs. His voice is solid now too, dunno why, energy preservin' mebbe? Who knows.

Just want my killer Flyness to be the best it can be, now that Edge, Adam and Wee Mullen have their shit nailed now.

:)

People on this forum seriously need to come to terms with the fact that Bono and U2 cant be 26 years old forever. I am struggling with this as well :)

People on this forum seriously need to come to terms with the fact that Bono and U2 cant be 26 years old forever.

Oi :p I did say that, that it could be age I'm guessing, but his voice during Vertigo was really well rounded and strong, so I don't see the need for the spoken lines? They just seemed sloppy to me. Sorry to nitpick your highness :hug:

I couldn't agree more.
It isn't me wanting him to sound like he did 20 years ago. I have seen 10+ shows for the each of the last 3 tours, he is def speak-singing a lot more now than he used to.

I am no highness..I agree that they are sloppy with their live greatness..Maybe its Bono saving himself for a show with more attendance? haha....but I myself watch rattle and hum and live at red rocks and say to myself "wow, why cant bono sing like this now?...so i try not to compare the u2 of the 2000s with the u2 of the '80s at all.....today, i just thank the fact that they are still together and are releasing new music.

I think you've hit on the main points Ziggy.

The physical energy and vocal power he had in the eighties was incredible, as early as ZOO TV you can see that some of that has fallen off and he's not quite as demonstrative any more.

Its probably due to a combination of things.

His age

Damage to his vocal chords after all the wear and tear of the screaming in the 80's. During Popmart he kind of had no choice but to speak the songs rather than sing them.

Going through the motions a litte after singing some of the classics countless times.

In some ways I think its inevitable that the songs from the most recent album will always be performed with greater energy as the band are eager to get on the road and start playing them. That's probably why the likes of The Fly and EBTTRT were performed with much more intensity during ZOO TV than either Popmart or Elevation.

Bono's voice was the best it had been in a long time during the last tour. He gave the songs a whole new meaning. PopMart and Elevation shows are still hard to listen to for me because of Bono's voice. I'm all for U2 losing some of their over-played classics for the next tour (or at least re-arranging them dramatically), but I don't think it's fair to blame Bono for everything that goes wrong. The last tour had some incredibly emotional moments.
If anything I'd recommend that Bono should try harder to remember the lyrics of the songs he wrote.

I actually liked how he did The Fly on the vertigo tour, the "speaking" with the distorted voice fits it perfectly.

I've noticed this too and mentioned it before. I wish he'd choose more songs that he can still sing every night. I suppose it is an ego thing in any singer that they don't want to admit they can't sing something anymore. Bono still has a wonderful voice so there are many songs that he could blow the crowd away with vocally. He should add them to the setlists, replacing the classics that he can't sing with the same passion on each night. :up:

I think Bono's singing these days is sometimes good, sometimes not. It is certainly not as good as 20 years ago, but how could it be?
However, it was magical back in the day.....

I don't take it like he's lost his voice or is not that good singer or what.For me, It's just him with different voice. I don't compare his 80's singing abilities to present singing.

If anything I'd recommend that Bono should try harder to remember the lyrics of the songs he wrote.

I love it when he tries to wing it when he can't remember the lyrics. It's funny, but more than that, it reminds all of us that he's still human.

You know, part of the problem may be that he doesn't rest his voice enough between shows. We all know Bono is quite the talker, so even when a doctor orders him to keep his mouth shut and give his vocal chords a break, he probably doesn't.

Then again, nobody can listen to him singing the Pavarotti portion of Miss Sarajevo from the last tour and say Bono's voice isn't strong. He was sick the last time I saw them, in Buffalo, and he belted out as beautiful a version of that portion as I've ever heard him sing.

I've no problem at all with Bono's voice in 2008. As someone said, we should just be grateful that U2 are still together and active after so many years. It's miraculous that they didn't splinter or break up in about 1992, so anything since then is really a bonus.

Having said that, I would be happy if Bono would never speak another word on stage for the rest of the band's existence. Just sing, Bono -- just sing.

U2 is by far the greatest band in the world, no one can come close to them. They are also the greatest live act in the world bar none. If you dont think so, you haven't followed this band close enough. And all you that criticize and talk shi t about evey little detail...go find a stick and fu ck yourselves!!!!!

I think it would be hard for Bono to run around and scream all the time in his age. When you are younger you have more energy. But the reason that Bonos voice wasnt totaly of ANY night on three legs in row on Vertigo tour was that he taked more care of his voice :) But that realy makes the high notes specialy. Bad is a good example of that.

U2 is by far the greatest band in the world, no one can come close to them. They are also the greatest live act in the world bar none. If you dont think so, you haven't followed this band close enough. And all you that criticize and talk shi t about evey little detail...go find a stick and fu ck yourselves!!!!!

Or maybe you should open your eyes and ears and be a little more open to other people's OPINIONS.
Because that is what this is about.
You have your own opinion, YOU think they are the greatest band in the world. Now, on this forum a LOT of people would agree with you on that.
BUT You also seem to think that U2 is perfect and faultless.
THAT is where people disagree with you.

People are entitled to their opinion.

And It might be just me, but I think it's pathetic to censor words like fuck and shit yourself. If you want to use the words, fine, but don't go censor them.

I myself don't mind how Bono's voice sounds much, his voice has changed a lot over the years already and I"m curious to find out how the change will progress. What would be nice is if he'd finally learn his own lyrics and stopped talking so much during songs.

everyone is entitled to their own opinions regarding the band, insulting and using such rude language is not allowed here.

Watch what your saying wee man, I wasn't talking shit about U2 if you read my post, I was perfectly aware my opinion wouldn't be popular before I had typed a word.

The people who have replied civilly have done so in a way that has conveyed their way of thinking, instead of resorting to crass insults you like you, you dumb fuck(hypocrisy from me there XD).

As I said, I loved Vertigo Fly, and Vertigo as a whole was great. I just feel maybe a bit more taking care of the voice and maybe less talking(some is needed tho, for that Bono flavour ^_^)

Also, I wasn't desputing Bono's voice, it was exceptional last tour. Just think that because of this more than anything he should be trying for more singing less talking.

Just my opinion at the end of the day.

People on this forum seriously need to come to terms with the fact that Bono and U2 cant be 26 years old forever. I am struggling with this as well :)

I came to terms with it a while ago. :sexywink: As I'm close to Bono's age, I can fully relate to not having the stamina to belt out things like I could (and by "belt out" I don't just mean singing - it can be sports, work, etc.). Singing high and powerfully night after night not only wore down Bono's voice (causing U2 to cancel shows - something that they haven't done since), but requires a lot of energy. Night after night. Week after week. And for songs that are 20+ years old.

I have found that Bono has routinely put in a lot of emotion to new songs vs. older songs. This was even apparent on the JT tour. Note the performance of "Pride" on R&H - hardly the powerhouse it was on the album. Come the ZOO tours, JT songs took a bit of a back seat in terms of emotion (WOWY was dramatically reduced). And on it goes. But songs like "Kite" were belted out on the Elevation Tour. "Love & Peace" and "Sometimes..." were sung in full open throat glory on the Vertigo tour. And it only makes sense. Why belt out a 20 or 25 year old classic, when there are tons of new songs to sing? This isn't an opera or a musical where the songs remain the same.

It seems that Bono is just more selective in what songs he belts out now. Combine that with age and a pretty big catalog, and it makes sense that not every song will be a powerhouse. After all, as I wrote, if the 28-29 year old Bono had trouble belting out songs night after night, I guarantee you the 40-45 year old Bono would too. Expect more of the same on the next tour.

Watch what your saying wee man, I wasn't talking shit about U2 if you read my post, I was perfectly aware my opinion wouldn't be popular before I had typed a word.

The people who have replied civilly have done so in a way that has conveyed their way of thinking, instead of resorting to crass insults you like you, you dumb fuck(hypocrisy from me there XD).

As I said, I loved Vertigo Fly, and Vertigo as a whole was great. I just feel maybe a bit more taking care of the voice and maybe less talking(some is needed tho, for that Bono flavour ^_^)

Also, I wasn't desputing Bono's voice, it was exceptional last tour. Just think that because of this more than anything he should be trying for more singing less talking.

Just my opinion at the end of the day.

Ok, you suckered me in to make a point, so here it goes. First, if I offended anyone with my stick joke, I apologize sincerely. It wasn't meant to be directed to anyone in particular.More of a joke than anything else. Wow, some of you are sensitive. I suppose I just don't understand the countless and meaningless posts that are out there. I mean really, i see the point of bringing up Bono's voice(great topic), but to me its just ridiculous how far some of you go with it. Do you hear yourselves? Probably not is my guess considering some of the ignorant and hypocritical posters here. You're not all ingenious for your ability to start a thread that is filled with contradiction. I know most of you post almost everyday and you've gotten to form some alliances with one another I'm sure. Oh what the hell, love you all, keep up the good work.

I wouldn't say taking offense to being told to "go find a stick and go fuck myself" makes me sensitive mate, just saying.

Also, doctorwho, you make a brilliant point, the more I think about it, the more I notice that songs definetely do get their best performances on their respective tours. Makes basic sense, but didn't consider it. Also, to clarify, this thread wasn't a swipe at the Bonemeister, he truly is a (slightly waffly) legend.

.....been speaking more lines as opposed to singing.

Listen to some of the "old classics", add in a few songs that were fresh and energized like The Fly during ZOO TV, and listen to how as the years go on, Bono seems to be putting, well I dont want to say less effort, but less feeling into them perhaps?

Listen to a few songs from Popmart, and his failing voice aside, some songs he doesn't even try to reach notes he's killing on the Vertigo tour even.

Also, the Elevation performances of The Fly, with its beautiful intro in Boston aside, tend to be weaker musically than the incredible Vertigo "fly" performances. However, Bono seems to be really into it and making all the notes on Elevation, yet on the Chicago performance, I noted on the first verse he just seems to be talking in tune through it, like ive seen him do in recent years with SBS and One at times.

I know I'll be shot with Popmart endorsed sleeper darts for nitpicking here, because he is, as we all are, aging. He can't be expected to sing every song 110% every night. He's brilliant, but only human. I'm just hoping he regains his old fire with some of the classics. Because as the music for some songs improves live, his vocals appear to be becoming more spoken on some songs. His voice is solid now too, dunno why, energy preservin' mebbe? Who knows.

Just want my killer Flyness to be the best it can be, now that Edge, Adam and Wee Mullen have their shit nailed now.

:)

People lose their voices as they get older. Listen to Art Garfunkel singing Bridge over Troubled Water when they first wrote it and then more recently in concert. Not even attempting the high notes. They just plain can't do it. :(

:lmao:

He has to adapt the current voice for material written and recorded for a 20+ younger singer.

With the kind of belting he did for a decade, and the smoking, I'm amazed at the last tour and the voice we heard since the end of Vertigo tour (Islington, to name one performance). It seems like he's a gone another notch up vocally.

This is a challenge in my camp as well...I defend U2 to those that oppose them, but inside, I long for the U2 of old that will never return ;(

BUT

We still have the crazy bastards so....I'm content ;)

People lose their voices as they get older. Listen to Art Garfunkel singing Bridge over Troubled Water when they first wrote it and then more recently in concert. Not even attempting the high notes. They just plain can't do it. :(

Not true...Maestro Pavarotti is a shining example...

I'm a singer, more importantly, I'm a music student and am told, and tell my students DAILY of how singers can maintain their voice with proper care and practice.

Don't mistake the effects of poor technique with that of aging.

Back
Top Bottom