Is it just me??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropop40

Refugee
Interference is called Interference because it int
I am new to these forums and I must say that this is a very friendly place that I am glad to finally be a part of :hug:

... anyways...

after looking around and reading posts there seems to be a lot of negativity towards coldplay and Chris Martin. I personally love coldplay (not as much as U2 of course!), but what is with all the remarks towards coldplay as if we are trying to compare them to U2?
I would assume we can respect coldpay's music, but is there something Im missing here? maybe some fued between U2 and coldplay I missed?

...maybe its just me :reject:

nah, people just hate the children of U2 because they'll eventually kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

welcome :wave:

Welcome :wave:

Actually... we hate Coldplay because Christ Martin was actually the person who stole the October lyrics from Bono back in '81. They're sprinkled throughout Coldplay's albums. It's true, I tell you!

not all of us are Coldplay bashers. I happen to really dig them.

i think peeps don't like them because of the recent phenomenon where a publication will Trash coldplay by citing how good U2 is, but then when mentioning U2 on their own, trash them as well. I may be one of the few that has noticed it, but it does seem odd that U2 is mostly only complimented when being compared to Coldplay.

Also, Chris Martin has clearly attended the Bono school of lead singership. That doesn't bother me. He just says "Yep" a lot when backing away from the mic, Bono style.

All that said, I am a big fan of the Coldplay.

Anyway, welcome! This place is the best.

i really don't get the Coldplay hate. they're a great band with great tunes, but people don't like them here largely because they take so much inspiration from U2. like that's a crime.

Some people hate Coldplay cause they are the band that one day will take U2's place. I don't even like them that much, but that's what's gonna happen imo.

Yeah, I personally feel that the anti-Coldplay sentiments are pretty pathetic. And it isn't just because they are one of my favorite bands, but because any bashing of other bands and artists is simply low in general.

:rolleyes:

_41338232_chris_martin416ap.jpg

psp411_com-mods-290-2.jpg

I think the anti-Coldplay brigade just can't hack the fact that someone as boy-next-door and who is of a similarly raised and musically inspired background, such as Marto, has succeeded in life where they might have failed.

Marto is in one of the most successful and talented bands in the world, has adoring fans, is married to an actress, is living the dream life.....and they're not.

Marto > the anti-Coldplay brigade

Deep down we all want to be Chris Martin, it's just some people channel their envy by constantly cutting down the tall-poppies, when deep down, they want to be the tall poppy.

I wonder if the people on some coldplay forum talk about U2 the way some people here talk about coldplay ... probably haha :hmm:

personally i thought viva la vida and death was a fantastic album but after hearing NLOTH... its just... well, different. It's hard for me to listen to a lot of music now that I have heard the greatness of NLOTH:drool:

It's kinda sad that Coldplay is probably one of the only mainstream bands making albums with any coherency and tracks that attempt not to be fad-prone and stuck in one moment (VLV is an exception, kind of, but it's still better than most of the crap on the charts). In that sense, they can be called U2's closest successor, but here's the thing: U2 aren't done yet, and NLOTH proves that.

If U2 went away today, Coldplay would probably be branded as their 'successor', but I'd much rather see that 'honor' go to Arcade Fire. They're an awesome band that definitely took hints from U2, but freely innovated and created their own distinct sound. God, I wish more people liked them.

:wave: Welcome!

I happen to really like Coldplay. Love Viva la Vida, not really the song, but there are some GREAT moments on that album.

See "Strawberry Swing" :wink:

The hatred towards Coldplay stems from the fact they are so overrated. Every press review/report always seems to refer to U2 and that's where the comparisons come from, it is fueled by igorant newspaper reports and music magazines like Q, NME etc, who seem to think Coldplay are the biggest band in the world etc.

I can appreciate they are a popular band, but their material is mediocre at best, with some good songs like Viva La Vida, but I'd put them at the same level as The Killers, Kings of Leon etc, the press really go over the top and the fans have an bloated opinion of them as well.

I am not saying they are crap, because that would be stupid and blatantly wrong, I just don't like the gross overexaggerations surrounding bands like Coldplay, who release quite bland and uninventive music on the whole. I don't feel any excitement when I hear their music, they don't have the passion, desire, drive or energy like U2 have. They are not unique or innovative in anyway and will not inspire other bands to follow their musical direction like U2 have done. So I still don't see where the comparisons come from, except that Chris Martin blatantly wants to be Bono.

Other irritations are Chris Martin, he can't really sing, it's just whaling, moaning and whining and he can't bloody dance. The other band members look like a bunch of planks, no charisma at all and the french revolution style uniforms are lame. The seem to try too hard and think they are better than they are, when they are not.

In summary, they are okay, but I have no idea where all this euphoria surrounding them and their music has come from. They are nothing special and are not the most talented musicians around. If they had a bit of character and got a decent singer with some power and range, then they might become a really good band.

We don't like ChrisPlay because they are U2 stealers, wanabees whatever you want to call them. When they did 'Yellow' tell me how that was not a vibe from Passengers. They are smart and they knew what they were doing but you expect us all to love them.

I just think they're really easy to make fun of. I'd probably make fun of them even if I didn't think their music was horribly bland.

But hey! Like basically whatever! It's your choice.

I think the anti-Coldplay brigade just can't hack the fact that someone as boy-next-door and who is of a similarly raised and musically inspired background, such as Marto, has succeeded in life where they might have failed.

Marto is in one of the most successful and talented bands in the world, has adoring fans, is married to an actress, is living the dream life.....and they're not.

Marto > the anti-Coldplay brigade

Deep down we all want to be Chris Martin, it's just some people channel their envy by constantly cutting down the tall-poppies, when deep down, they want to be the tall poppy.

You think people criticize Coldplay because they're jealous of Chris Martin's successful lifestyle? Are you serious?!

The hatred towards Coldplay stems from the fact they are so overrated. Every press review/report always seems to refer to U2 and that's where the comparisons come from, it is fueled by igorant newspaper reports and music magazines like Q, NME etc, who seem to think Coldplay are the biggest band in the world etc.

I can appreciate they are a popular band, but their material is mediocre at best, with some good songs like Viva La Vida, but I'd put them at the same level as The Killers, Kings of Leon etc, the press really go over the top and the fans have an bloated opinion of them as well.

I am not saying they are crap, because that would be stupid and blatantly wrong, I just don't like the gross overexaggerations surrounding bands like Coldplay, who release quite bland and uninventive music on the whole. I don't feel any excitement when I hear their music, they don't have the passion, desire, drive or energy like U2 have. They are not unique or innovative in anyway and will not inspire other bands to follow their musical direction like U2 have done. So I still don't see where the comparisons come from, except that Chris Martin blatantly wants to be Bono.

Other irritations are Chris Martin, he can't really sing, it's just whaling, moaning and whining and he can't bloody dance. The other band members look like a bunch of planks, no charisma at all and the french revolution style uniforms are lame. The seem to try too hard and think they are better than they are, when they are not.

In summary, they are okay, but I have no idea where all this euphoria surrounding them and their music has come from. They are nothing special and are not the most talented musicians around. If they had a bit of character and got a decent singer with some power and range, then they might become a really good band.

Eggs-actly. You hit the nail on the head. :up:

I think it's cool when bands take inspiration from U2.

What I don't like is when bland, boring bands are labeled "the next U2."

I liked quite a few of the songs on A Rush Of Blood To the Head, but not even those songs really came anywhere near approaching the passion, fire and inspiration I associate with U2. And everything they have done since that album has made me lose the bit of respect I had for them in the first place.

You think people criticize Coldplay because they're jealous of Chris Martin's successful lifestyle? Are you serious?

A band inspired by U2 (above any of their other influences) is always gonna cop crap around here.

We sit around listening to our U2 records, gobsmacked at how brilliant they are, and we may go and try and write lyrics like Bono, prance around stage like Bono, play guitar like Edge, frown-smile like Adam and never-smile like Larry, but due to how unlike anything else U2 actually is, as a band or a phenomenon or whatever, the aspirations we harbour to be the next U2 are beyond comprehension. Marto is just one us, doing what we would be doing, had we managed to become as successful as Coldplay did.

I'd give anything to be Marto (though I'd swap Paltrow for Aniston or Hathaway), the band is the most successful and recognisable spin-off from the greatness that is U2. So many have wanted that and never come close, and it is with envy that some look on at Coldplay living not only C. Martin's dream, but their very own dream.

I'm probably in the "Coldplay bugs me" camp, though I don't really voice that opinion on the board too much, but the few times that I have, it's not as disrespectful as some other posters. That said, I'll try to explain where these somewhat irrational emotions originate from.

On their own, Coldplay are rather harmless to me. They write catchy, tasteful, melodic songs. A number of their songs actually rub me rather well. What gets to me is when they are compared to U2, because in my eyes the very act of doing so is insulting my favourite band. It reduces U2 to a formula, to a stereotype, to a particular sound, when to me they are much much more, and what makes them special to me is precisely that they're more.

Are Coldplay talented? Undoubtedly? Are they, in my strongly felt opinion, within a 1000 mile talking distance of U2? Not in the slightest. Their music is highly derivative post-punk (although more so of Echo and the Bunnymen and Radiohead than U2). Now of course, everyone has their influences, but to me, Coldplay are more their influences than they are anything of their own. I dont think that's true at all of U2 or Radiohead.
They appropriate the most superficial and listener-friendly elements of each of these bands and present them in a mild, harmless, easy-to-stomach incarnation - the ringing, minimalistic guitars, the keyboard ambience, etc. Their musical diversity is threadbare compared to U2. Could you imagine Coldplay writing songs like Electric Co, Refugee, Exit, God Part 2, Acrobat, The Wanderer, Numb, Do You Feel Loved, In a Little While, or even Love and Peace? Part of what makes U2 greater than good is that they have challenged their fanbase radically at various points in their career. Same with Radiohead. To call Viva La Vida challenging in the same respect as Achtung Baby or even TUF is, I think, simply unfair.

What stands out in even starker contrast is the lyrical content of Coldplay's songs. Their lyrics are utter dross. They are often nothing pretending to be something profound. I dont get that sense with Bono's lyrics (until ATYCLB) at all. Right from Boy, the words MEAN things. The songs are ABOUT things. And they're very often good, and sometimes downright great. Twilight? Promenade? A Sort of Homecoming? Red Hill Mining Town? Angel of Harlem? Until the End of the World? Please? Have Chris Martin's lyrics come close to matching these heights? Have they ever even promised to do so? Not to me. They write songs that represent a general sense of angst with no specific object (unlike U2's, which have their angst rooted in specific events, like the loss of a mother, events in the world, etc).

So that's my problem with Coldplay. On their own merits I don't really care about them, they're harmless lads who write good pop tunes that I hum along to at times. But when people compare them with U2, it greatly undermines the brilliance of U2's musical, lyrical, and artistic achievements. It's the equivalent to me of saying "U2 are a post-punk band with ringing guitars, 4/4 bass, angsty-sounding lyrics, with a shitload of record sales", which I think is a ridiculous straw man characterization of U2. It's like being a Michael Jordan fan and hearing that some guy who has a 30 PPG in the regular season is being called "the next Jordan". Simply does not recognize the greatness of his achievements. To that extent, I find the Arcade Fire comparison much more palatable - to me, they actually DO threaten greatness, and promise to have many of the qualities that make a great band. If the history books are written with any sanity, Coldplay will go down as an immensely popular band with a highly derivative sound. But greatness? It will be a sad day based on evidence received thus far.

I'd much rather see that 'honor' go to Arcade Fire. They're an awesome band that definitely took hints from U2, but freely innovated and created their own distinct sound. God, I wish more people liked them.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Also, though this is really the critics' and journalists' fault, I despise how it is said that they are the "new U2". Has there ever been a new Beatles? The Who? The Rolling Stones? There have been bands, sure, that sound like each of them, but have they reached the stature of the original? No. These bands were so phenomenal because they were something we hadn't seen yet. U2 was not a "new" anything. They were influenced by other people, but ultimately they were unique and original. In fact, perhaps some of this blame should be shouldered by Coldplay after all. It speaks volumes that they are so consistently compared to U2 (i.e. lack of originality). They seem to want so badly to have the big, grand, up-to-the-rafters songs that U2 can pull off, and it just comes off as forced and rather lame. It's like they sit down and consciously try to write an epic anthem. That's what U2 used to be accused of (which made people think they were pricks), but with them, it's actually genuine and it's not that they're setting out to do it just for the sake of it.

A band inspired by U2 (above any of their other influences) is always gonna cop crap around here.

We sit around listening to our U2 records, gobsmacked at how brilliant they are, and we may go and try and write lyrics like Bono, prance around stage like Bono, play guitar like Edge, frown-smile like Adam and never-smile like Larry, but due to how unlike anything else U2 actually is, as a band or a phenomenon or whatever, the aspirations we harbour to be the next U2 are beyond comprehension. Marto is just one us, doing what we would be doing, had we managed to become as successful as Coldplay did.

I'd give anything to be Marto (though I'd swap Paltrow for Aniston or Hathaway), the band is the most successful and recognisable spin-off from the greatness that is U2. So many have wanted that and never come close, and it is with envy that some look on at Coldplay living not only C. Martin's dream, but their very own dream.

Yes, and it's annoying as hell to see a band get so much praise for "writing lyrics like Bono, play guitar like Edge" etc..Be original for god's sake.

I'd give anything to be Marto (though I'd swap Paltrow for Aniston or Hathaway), the band is the most successful and recognisable spin-off from the greatness that is U2. So many have wanted that and never come close, and it is with envy that some look at Coldplay living their dream.

Um, who is this "we"?

Let me get this straight: You're saying that we, U2 fans, wish we could be like U2; Coldplay is a successful band, like U2, and we are not; that's why we don't like Coldplay. Is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom