Is it just me??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um, who is this "we"?

Let me get this straight: You're saying that we, U2 fans, wish we could be like U2; Coldplay is a successful band, like U2, and we are not; that's why we don't like Coldplay. Is that what you mean?

The more musically-aspirational U2 fans especially, are likely to be anti-Coldplay, because Coldplay represent the level of success that they have all yearned so dearly for, to be compared with U2. They want what Coldplay have, but Coldplay got there first and are very good at what they do.

Another anti-Coldplay brigade segment are U2 fans who don't like Chris Martin even though he hasn't really done anything wrong but be himself, a rational yet honest person, who has positioned himself as like Bono in the sense that he is apolitcally astute compassionate humanitarian. How dare he be a good person like Bono!

And the other segment being the ones who liked Parachutes, but then Yellow become a worldwide smash hit, A Rush Of Blood To The Head earned critical and commercial acclaim, and Coldplay were in too deep commercially to be considered worthy of critical attention. This isn't just U2 fans, more likely to be Radiohead fans.

The 'WE' I refer to is partly myself, because I would like to be Bono (which is impossible), and I would like to be "Chris Martin" (who represents everything I'd like to be. If I cannot be Bono, I would like to be inspired by him). Who wouldn't.

The more musically-aspirational U2 fans especially, are likely to be anti-Coldplay, because Coldplay represent the level of success that they have all yearned so dearly for, to be compared with U2. They want what Coldplay have, but Coldplay got there first and are very good at what they do.

Another anti-Coldplay brigade segment are U2 fans who don't like Chris Martin even though he hasn't really done anything wrong but be himself, a rational yet honest person, who has positioned himself as like Bono in the sense that he is apolitcally astute compassionate humanitarian. How dare he be a good person like Bono!

And the other segment being the ones who liked Parachutes, but then Yellow become a worldwide smash hit, A Rush Of Blood To The Head earned critical and commercial acclaim, and Coldplay were in too deep commercially to be considered worthy of critical attention. This isn't just U2 fans, more likely to be Radiohead fans.

What a load of psychobabble baloney. This is just idle speculation. Find me one person here that actually corroborates this explanation.

What a load of psychobabble baloney. This is just idle speculation. Find me one person here that actually corroborates this explanation.

Myself, but I'm not bitter about what Coldplay have achieved.

It's not an individual thing, it's a mindset. It depends on one's attitude to things like the mainstream, and authenticity in music and the extent to which one might be a U2 fan.

I mean there are people who detest Coldplay, but like their music and go to their gigs. I mean, what the fuck? :huh:

The 'WE' I refer to is partly myself, because I would like to be Bono (which is impossible), and I would like to be "Chris Martin" (who represents everything I'd like to be. If I cannot be Bono, I would like to be inspired by him). Who wouldn't.

Well, I have no musical aspirations and don't give a rip about Chris Martin's success. I'm annoyed at him and at Coldplay because he blatantly imitates Bono's on-stage behavior and makes music that is obviously watered-down attempts at sounding like U2.

It's a little irrational to assume that we all wanna "be" Bono/U2. And kinda weird.

Myself, but I'm not bitter about what Coldplay have achieved.

It's not an individual thing, it's a mindset. It depends on one's attitude to things like the mainstream, and authenticity in music and the extent to which one might be a U2 fan.

I mean there are people who detest Coldplay, but like their music and go to their gigs. I mean, what the fuck? :huh:

Yeah, but it's just rationalization, speculation on your part to proffer that as the underlying reason. And I doubt it will bear out. How many of the people on interference do you think play an instrument? And how many of those give a shit about Gwyneth Paltrow?

I don't know any such people like the ones you talk about, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking to establish themselves as sensitive types and get lucky after the show....if you know what I mean.

See? That's speculation for you.

That doesn't even make sense. In the scenario you describe, why would these fans be jealous of Coldplay's success but not jealous of U2's success? Maybe the more "musically-inclined" fans just see that Coldplay is musically inferior to U2. :wink:

Well I wouldn't be jealous of U2 because U2 is the goal. If you are U2 hardcore like myself, you can never be U2, but you can achieve what Coldplay have, which is utilising your primary inluence to be who you want to be, and be successful in doing so.

Personally, I've found the U2-Coldplay comparisons only relevant to the X&Y and VLVODAAHF albums. A Rush Of Blood To The Head is THE unique Coldplay sound, and U2 is irrelevant in discussing AROBTTH, in my honest opinion.

Some people just don't like Coldplay, fair enough. I think White Stripes are bollocks. But I find it staggering the amount of people I know who launch attacks on C.Martin and Coldplay, yet still take pleasure in listening to Coldplay songs and forking out 150 for a Coldplay gig.

i only like 1 coldplay song..other that i say meh..

i like tool :reject:

I agree with you, one song is cool but making your whole career and saying your gonna take the chair from U2 (ok maybe they didn't say that haha) but you get my point i'm not scared of Coldplay but I think they are ruining music. I say that because they may have a few good songs but so does U2, and do you notice Coldplay gets a standing ovation and U2 gets nothing at the Grammys year after year?. This is why I don't like Chris and Coldplay, if he truly respected U2 he would ask them to do duets or or he would say good things about thm but he doesn't.

But I find it staggering the amount of people I know who launch attacks on C.Martin and Coldplay, yet still take pleasure in listening to Coldplay songs and forking out 150 for a Coldplay gig.

WTF? There are people who diss Coldplay but are willing to pay $150 to go to their concerts? I can't imagine anyone doing that unless maybe they are rich and don't have anything better to do than go to see whatever band is popular at the moment even if they don't like them.

I am new to these forums and I must say that this is a very friendly place that I am glad to finally be a part of :hug:

... anyways...

after looking around and reading posts there seems to be a lot of negativity towards coldplay and Chris Martin. I personally love coldplay (not as much as U2 of course!), but what is with all the remarks towards coldplay as if we are trying to compare them to U2?
I would assume we can respect coldpay's music, but is there something Im missing here? maybe some fued between U2 and coldplay I missed?

...maybe its just me :reject:

A lot of us don't think Coldplay is a good band and get REALLY sick of them being compared to our favorite band. Simple as that.

I've mentioned this a couple of times on here, but what makes Coldplay much different to Elbow or The Doves, to me they sound a bit similar and I'd probably prefer to listen to the latter two.

I also completely agree with Niceman. If I read one more damn article that mentions Coldplay or Chris Martin in relation to U2 and their music, I'll go mental. Bono mentioned that Coldplay are their contemporaries, but I don't really see that, I think he is being clever and looking at it from a relevance angle, trying to fit in with what the current trend is, as U2 realise it's important to attract younger fans.

Yes, and it's annoying as hell to see a band get so much praise for "writing lyrics like Bono, play guitar like Edge" etc..Be original for god's sake.

the guy form coldplay actaully plays Edge better than Edge himself nowadays.
Maybe edge is sick of Edge just like Bono:wink:

hmm... as much as I see where all the frustration comes from, I must say that I really love coldplay. Their music makes me fly. I mean I can see where there are places that would be ridiculous to compare to U2, and I get how that upsets our fanbase... I really enjoyed VLVODAAHF... but now NLOTH just blows it out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom