"Is it better to burn out than to fade away?" as it pertains to U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who hasn't sold out?

03-67-the_who_sell_out.jpg

:angry:

So what? And who's to stay that Joe Blow can get the meaning of all those songs in go? You have to include songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday if you're going to mention Peace on Earth. Stuck's lyrics are fantastic; yeah sure you don't have to be an allegorical expert to understand them, but hell I love that they're the way they are. They speak. It's one of my favourite U2 songs. I'll agree Sometimes has quite a laughably unambiguous title, but lyric depth is that huge a deal, at least not for me. I still prefer Bono's lyrics from the 80s and 90s, but it's unfair attack on his 00 work.

Hey, I'm not bashing the band. It is what it is and I'll accept them right where they're at. Just trying to show Screw that U2 hasn't lost their honesty under piles of cash.

A kicker who loses a football game, obviously. :wink:

Seriously though, I thought it was a less than meaningful song in the vein of Some Days Are Better Than Others.

:lol: I liked that video when I was 10. Now I'm just disappointed by the conspicuous lack of turducken. :tsk:

Now that's an honest record right there.

:drool: I Can See For Miles

Her deodorant had let her down, she should have used Odorono

No but seriously, go and listen to Hall of the Mountain King :drool:

A kicker who loses a football game, obviously. :wink:

Seriously though, I thought it was a less than meaningful song in the vein of Some Days Are Better Than Others.

Both Stuck and Some Dicks are Better Than Others carry meaning for me :shrug:

Screwy and Lemel are getting on well :dancing:

U2 hasn't lost their honesty under piles of cash.

No, but Bono should spend more time on his lyrics this time around. I don't doubt they're just as honest as ever, and there are some great examples in there that dispute any claim that he's just shit when being direct/honest. I just think he needs to put more care back into them. Some seem, at best, lazy.

I think the fact that overall Bono tends to be pretty abstract and obscure in his lyrics means that any number of different interpretations can be drawn from them. What may be extremely graphic or explicit for one can be subtle or enigmatic to another.

As much as you can look at the lyrics of Miracle Drug and not know what its all about, I think you can say the same about Love Is Blindness, Wake Up Dead Man or Mofo, they all deal with pretty dark subject matter but in terms of meaning, can be complex to unravel.

You're never going to Lennonesque levels of searing honesty with Bono, that's just not his style, I don't think he wants to be that explicit, both men wrote songs about their Mother but I know which is the more painful to listen to and which would be the more directly effecting for most people, I admire it greatly but I wouldn't want to put it on and listen to it every day. Lennon learnt that you had to put your message across with a little chocolate to make it easier for the listener to swallow and Bono picked up on this very early, that's what he did with his Mother song (and practically all his songs), very intense subject matter but communicated through a catchy melody and a metaphorical lyric. I think I prefer the ambiguity, Mother's great every once in a while but I know I could enjoy Mofo pretty much any day of the week.

Bono's best work is his dark stuff rather than his fluffy stuff.

The more dark his lyrics, the better the song.

I like the bad Bono rather than the good Bono.

The darker, more sinister Bono.

Even One is a dark sort of song.

The Fly is a dark song.

With or Without You is a dark song.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is dark.

Too many light and fluffy songs on the last albums.

But more and more he hides this character to the detrement of the band known as U2.

"Bass player dance with me....dance with me!"

I think it was the poppy feel of the song that kept me from thinking it was about suicide. :lol:

No one listens to the lyrics. :yes:

I think if a song communicates to you, it doesn't really matter if it's ambigious or direct. (vast majority of Bono's lyrics don't exactly require a rocket scientist anyway) What I could do without is all the "song _____ is about _____" talk in interviews they have done on the last two albums. Say a line or two at a live show, if you must. Don't spell it out before we even hear the album.

No one listens to the lyrics. :yes:

I think if a song communicates to you, it doesn't really matter if it's ambigious or direct. (vast majority of Bono's lyrics don't exactly require a rocket scientist anyway) What I could do without is all the "song _____ is about _____" talk in interviews they have done on the last two albums. Say a line or two at a live show, if you must. Don't spell it out before we even hear the album.

I find that a lot of the songs in this decade feature lyrics that don't fit the music. I'm talking about songs like Stuck, New York, Grace, Sometimes, Crumbs and OOTS. Honestly, I'm not quite sure why that is.

I find that a lot of the songs in this decade feature lyrics that don't fit the music. I'm talking about songs like Stuck, New York, Grace, Sometimes, Crumbs and OOTS. Honestly, I'm not quite sure why that is.

Bono was probably on "The Turps" when he wrote those.

Ladies please.

The problem with the 00's is that there's no major breakthrough or idea, musically speaking...IMHO. The air is filled with nostalgia & conservatism...

I think U2 were considered band of the 80's mainly because they were the only ones to stay relevant with strong record sales, every other act wether stopped being interesting or split (Dire Straits, The Police) or imploded in "independant" attitude (The Smiths).

In the 90's the marriage between rock & techno, the rise of hip-hop brought interesting ideas and U2 stayed on top for the first half of the decade but soon were out-dated by bands like Massive attack, Bjork, RATM, or Radiohead (already) in the late 90's.

As much as I like U2, I don't really think they are the band of the 00's. I do think they were one of the top 5 (if not best) bands of the 90's, but that is not the topic...

In terms of talent, I would say the White Stripes are definitely amongst the best of the 00's. It might even be more fitting to say Jack White since he is the creative force behind the White Stripes and the Racanteurs. I just don't see that they really have the popularity, meaning on a broad mainstream way, that a group like U2, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. have. Radiohead might. They definitely have the popularity, I just don't think they have their music is accessible enough. The average casual music fans are going to like the White Stripes before they like Radiohead. It isn't a criticism of Radiohead or the White Stripes either, it's just that they aren't really pop music (which I'm thankful for).

I think in looking at ticket sales, U2, Coldplay, and Red Hot Chili Peppers would probably be near the top. These bands sell albums and tickets, even in a time when Rock music is lagging. This is due to their more mainstream pop appeal. This is where the problem lies. We are in a decade where pop music is pop music and good quality rock music just isn't that popular. This is the IPod generation (or ITunes since that is really the culprit), where people want catchy disposable singles. Even Bruce Springsteen (one of the better song-writers of the rock and roll era) has put out such disposable music (with not nearly the quality the other three bands have). He has gotten too old to have much appeal too.

Anyway, other great bands on the 00's would probably be Muse, Flaming Lips, and Nine Inch Nails. None of these are mainstream enough to reach audiences quite right to make it to the top, although Muse is definitely on its way if they can ever really break out in the U.S.

Ultimately, we do have a couple more years. If U2 comes out with the right album, e.g. something that has the breadth that Achtung Baby had, they could jump up to the top of the heap. The White Stripes and Radiohead may just be a hit single from staking a claim as well. Only time (and the fans) will tell.

Boys and girls :hug:
Go to school, and girls :love:
They make children :hmm:
Not like this one:sexywink:

Ladies please.

The problem with the 00's is that there's no major breakthrough or idea, musically speaking...IMHO. The air is filled with nostalgia & conservatism...

I think U2 were considered band of the 80's mainly because they were the only ones to stay relevant with strong record sales, every other act wether stopped being interesting or split (Dire Straits, The Police) or imploded in "independant" attitude (The Smiths).

In the 90's the marriage between rock & techno, the rise of hip-hop brought interesting ideas and U2 stayed on top for the first half of the decade but soon were out-dated by bands like Massive attack, Bjork, RATM, or Radiohead (already) in the late 90's.

As much as I like U2, I don't really think they are the band of the 00's. I do think they were one of the top 5 (if not best) bands of the 90's, but that is not the topic...

In terms of talent, I would say the White Stripes are definitely amongst the best of the 00's. It might even be more fitting to say Jack White since he is the creative force behind the White Stripes and the Racanteurs. I just don't see that they really have the popularity, meaning on a broad mainstream way, that a group like U2, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. have. Radiohead might. They definitely have the popularity, I just don't think they have their music is accessible enough. The average casual music fans are going to like the White Stripes before they like Radiohead. It isn't a criticism of Radiohead or the White Stripes either, it's just that they aren't really pop music (which I'm thankful for).

I think in looking at ticket sales, U2, Coldplay, and Red Hot Chili Peppers would probably be near the top. These bands sell albums and tickets, even in a time when Rock music is lagging. This is due to their more mainstream pop appeal. This is where the problem lies. We are in a decade where pop music is pop music and good quality rock music just isn't that popular. This is the IPod generation (or ITunes since that is really the culprit), where people want catchy disposable singles. Even Bruce Springsteen (one of the better song-writers of the rock and roll era) has put out such disposable music (with not nearly the quality the other three bands have). He has gotten too old to have much appeal too.

Anyway, other great bands on the 00's would probably be Muse, Flaming Lips, and Nine Inch Nails. None of these are mainstream enough to reach audiences quite right to make it to the top, although Muse is definitely on its way if they can ever really break out in the U.S.

Ultimately, we do have a couple more years. If U2 comes out with the right album, e.g. something that has the breadth that Achtung Baby had, they could jump up to the top of the heap. The White Stripes and Radiohead may just be a hit single from staking a claim as well. Only time (and the fans) will tell.

On a quick note, I think The Police would actually have been considered the band of the 80's had thier first two albums not been made in the 70's. That's a good debut and four great albums.

I don't think U2 should be considered the band of the 00's either. Parachutes, Rush Of Blood, Viva La Vida and whatever else we get this decade makes me think it is Coldplay.

As to Coldplay, I thought X&Y was a fine album for them, well produced and all that, but again it was hard to love. It's very professionally done, and some of the lyrics moved me. But it had such a "U2-lite" vibe that I just found myself going ahead and listening to U2! I think Coldplay definitely need to pull some harder, rougher-edged stuff out of their trick box and show us a rock band. They're too ballad-oriented for my taste.

I'm not a Coldplay fan but I didn't see X&Y as a "sellout," either. I thought bands were in business to make money and build an audience by putting out good music? Here's my definition of a sellout: Any artist who accepts money in exchange for their name/voice/image/song going over a car commercial, software ad or beer commercial. Bob Seger anyone? John Mellencamp, anyone? Coldplay has yet to stoop to that level.

As to U2's wait between albums, I've said on another thread, we have been treated to yet another compilation (18 Singles), three DVDs (Live in Milan, Zoo TV, Popmart) and will soon receive the 20th anniversary Joshua Tree. Also, last year, "U2 By U2" was published. That's a lot of product if you ask me!

Many other here have mentioned that Coldplay dont have a HMTMKMKM, or Bullet The Blue Sky and I completely agree. But I am willing to go further and say they dont even have a Running to Stand Still, Mother's of The Disappeareed, If God Will Send His Angels, or Unforgettable Fire - slow burning quiet songs that gradually build to a crescendo and stir the soul. These songs are close to the balland yet go beyond it, or twist it in some way and add something fresh. Coldplay ONLY has ballads. Their songs never go outside of the ballad in either lyrics, style, or tempo or structure. At least when U2, Muse, and BRMC do ballads, there are distinct and add somthing new - With Or Without You is not the typical ballad... edge use of guitar sets it apart, nevermind the lyrics. It would also be fard to find a typical ballad anywhere in Muse's catalog, but Coldplay... well that's it. I would almost venture to say that they are England's response to America's soft rock. Journey filtered through the sensibilities of U2 and early Radiohead and Travis.

The Police were simply awesome.

The best. I saw their reuinion tour recently and I just felt sad they hadn't kept going.

Interesting the day they handed their instruments to U2 at that concert.

The ceremony.

U2 have been the best band in the world ever since.

Many other here have mentioned that Coldplay dont have a HMTMKMKM, or Bullet The Blue Sky and I completely agree. But I am willing to go further and say they dont even have a Running to Stand Still, Mother's of The Disappeareed, If God Will Send His Angels, or Unforgettable Fire - slow burning quiet songs that gradually build to a crescendo and stir the soul. These songs are close to the balland yet go beyond it, or twist it in some way and add something fresh. Coldplay ONLY has ballads. Their songs never go outside of the ballad in either lyrics, style, or tempo or structure. At least when U2, Muse, and BRMC do ballads, there are distinct and add somthing new - With Or Without You is not the typical ballad... edge use of guitar sets it apart, nevermind the lyrics. It would also be fard to find a typical ballad anywhere in Muse's catalog, but Coldplay... well that's it. I would almost venture to say that they are England's response to America's soft rock. Journey filtered through the sensibilities of U2 and early Radiohead and Travis.

I think Coldplay isn't designed to have many epic songs or much buildup in them. A duo like The Dresden Dolls do though. That sort of is what I take from the 2000's. There are a lot of talented bands that are really good at one or two things but lack some major components. It is such a wilderness in rock these days. No bands have the whole package this decade.

I think you can figure what U2 is writing about if you visit this website everyday. We're die hard fans, whether you can admit or not is your personal agenda.

For the casual fan...or should I say 99% of all fans, they probably won't know what a U2 song is about without some kind of explanation.

Stuck In The Moment? I thought it was about a person going through hard times.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own? I didn't even know Bono's father died.

Original of the Species? I thought it was a love song.

Vertigo. Fuck know's what that was about.

So what's all this nonsense about U2 being too honest this decade. You are all too damn picky!

(Now I run!!!)

This has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

The point was to look at U2's career as a whole with different endpoints, as described in the OP, and to discuss how the different ends points would effect U2's legacy, how they would be remembered, whether the respect for them from fans/industry/etc would go up or down, etc.

I didn't want to get into another round of comparing this album to that album and that's exactly where we're at now.

Let's get back on topic, please.

:)

I know this is off-topic at this point but I just have to answer.

Many other here have mentioned that Coldplay dont have a Bullet The Blue Sky and I completely agree.

Violet Hill is their angry political rockin song. Politik isn't far off.

I am willing to go further and say they dont even have a Running to Stand Still, Mother's of The Disappeareed, If God Will Send His Angels, or Unforgettable Fire - slow burning quiet songs that gradually build to a crescendo and stir the soul.
Well there's the songs A Rush of Blood to the Head, Everything's Not Lost, Amsterdam, Fix You, Death and All His Friends....

Coldplay ONLY has ballads. Their songs never go outside of the ballad in either lyrics, style, or tempo or structure
incorrect, get more aquainted with their catalog. :down:

While Coldplay may be the most noteworthy band of this decade I too agree they've got along ways to go before they come close to matching the quality work of such bands as Radiohead, U2, The Police, Blur, etc. I do agree they rely way too much on ballads or ballads that become more mid-tempo.

Back
Top Bottom