Is everything so pre-programmed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a ridiculous statement. Pink Floyd never altered setlists up much and they are one of the best live bands of all time. Why does it matter how often you swop a setlist around with regard to how good a band you are live?

And that 'silly over-the-top production' as you call it, is one of the reasons how I got into the band in the first place and is why I love them as a live band. Would you rather the band were like Oasis and just stood still routed to the spot for 2 hours?? Oasis play their songs very well live and swop setlists around quite a bit.

It's all subjective taste! There is no right or wrong on this dead horse issue.

A band like Pearl Jam is a great live band for various reasons. They are at one end of the spectrum. (minimal visuals and sequencers, great covers, diverse setlists).

U2 is a great live band for various reasons. They are at the other end of the spectrum. (hi-tech wizardry, mediocre covers at best, static setlists).

They share one thing in common though- A TREMENDOUS ability to connect with their fans and make a 2-3 hour period magical.

One person would rather see one type of show, another person would rather see another type of show. This argument gets so old. There is no right answer. For this reason I could not disagree more with a statement like the fact that U2 is a great live band is a "myth." They are a great live band to millions of people. It is not a "myth" to them. Now, if the statement was "the idea that U2 is a spontaneous band on stage is a myth," that would have some more credibility.

Back
Top Bottom