Is COBL a form of new age mystic bullshit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger Edge

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
ancient%20mystic.jpg

Thoughts?

New age mystic bullshit, dayglo eyes
City lit with bullshit lies
Advertising in the skies
For new Age Mystic Bullshit

Can you see the New Age Mystic Bullshit inside of me?
What happened to the bullshit I had inside of me?

what about hugs? :hug:

6hrd77.jpg

I WILL NOT BE CONNED

New age mystic bullshit, dayglo eyes
City lit with bullshit lies
Advertising in the skies
For new Age Mystic Bullshit

Can you see the New Age Mystic Bullshit inside of me?
What happened to the bullshit I had inside of me?

These were the original lyrics, I assume?

So.. is this just another goof off thread or are we actually going to have a discussion? Just checking..

So.. is this just another goof off thread or are we actually going to have a discussion? Just checking..

The New Age (also known as the New Age Movement, New Age spirituality, and Cosmic Humanism) is a decentralized Western social and spiritual movement that seeks "Universal Truth" and the attainment of the highest individual human potential. It combines aspects of cosmology, astrology, esotericism, alternative medicine, music, collectivism, sustainability, and nature. New Age spirituality is characterized by an individual approach to spiritual practices and philosophies, while rejecting religious doctrine and dogma.

The New Age Movement includes elements of older spiritual and religious traditions ranging from atheism and monotheism through classical pantheism, naturalistic pantheism, and panentheism to polytheism combined with science and Gaia philosophy: particularly archaeoastronomy, astronomy, ecology, environmentalism, the Gaia hypothesis, psychology, and physics. New Age practices and philosophies sometimes draw inspiration from major world religions: Buddhism, Chinese folk religion, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism; with particularly strong influences from East Asian religions, Gnosticism, Neopaganism, New Thought, Spiritualism, Theosophy, Universalism, and Western esotericism.[1] Additional phrases which may refer to the New Age Movement include All is One[2] and Mind-Body-Spirit.[3]

The modern New Age Movement emerged as a distinct lifestyle from the late 1960s through the early 1970s, although elements can be traced back to the 19th and early 20th centuries. It gained momentum in the 1980s and strengthened with the Harmonic Convergence event in 1987. Diverse individuals from around the world practice New Age spirituality.

City of Blinding Lights happens to be a direct representative of new age mysticism as I will later prove in my thesis. But first we must all take a closer look at the final lyrics as they stand on the multi-million selling album, "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb".

The more you see the less you know
The less you find out as you go
I knew much more then than I do now

Neon heart day-glow eyes
A city lit by fireflies
They're advertising in the skies
For people like us

And I miss you when you're not around
I'm getting ready to leave the ground

Oh you look so beautiful tonight
In the city of blinding lights

Don't look before you laugh
Look ugly in a photograph
Flash bulbs purple irises
The camera can't see

I've seen you walk unafraid
I've seen you in the clothes you made
Can you see the beauty inside of me?
What happened to the beauty I had inside of me?

(cut)

And I miss you when you're not around
I'm getting ready to leave the ground

Time...time...time...time...time
Won't leave me as I am
But time won't take the boy out of this man

The more you know the less you feel
Some pray for others steal
Blessings are not just for the ones who kneel... luckily

Made mention in the very first verse is the notion of existentialism. While that is not a clear indication of new age mystic bullshit, it certainly is the beginning of its multiple mentions in the following verse and more importantly, the chorus. In it, the author is in fact searching for "universal truth" by refuting that the more a being grows in the current status of the world, the less he becomes in contact with the absolute and universal truth.

By "people like us" within the second verse of the song, Bono is referring to those deeply involved in new age mysticism. The day-glo eyes line is a further reference to those who can see the truth. Although a neon heart is atypical of societies rich in self-absorption, it is quite clear that Bono is using this allegory rather loosely. A heart cannot be neon, but indeed, neon can have a heart. I believe that this can be an association with the impressiveness of nature, as neon is a natual element. One need not look further than the periodic table to see this fact come to fruition. Furthermore, fireflies are an absolute representation of the Buddhist belief in daoism, as a firefly lights the way for those who wish to be enlightened when in the darkness. The fireflies light our way to universal knowledge and absolute truth.

I believe the third verse, or rather, the rise to the chorus is a direct reference to new age Christianity. "Ready to leave the ground" is a notion that is accepted by Christians of all denominations of the resurrection of Christ, himself a fan of Bono's lyrical structure.

In order to continue with the Christian faith allegories, Bono refers to this mystical city as the "city of blinding lights." The final message is classic in both its religious and ecumenical thrust, reminding us that God loves us all, even the unfaithful. It’s also earnest, emerging from faith that love and reason will see us through troubled times, a modern and rather adulterated view of new age mystic, but nonetheless acceptable.

Laughing before looking has long since been regarded as a form of anti-mysticism. Bono makes sure to note and compel us to not engage in mirth without being fully aware in absolute truth. Similarly, those who study new age mysticism know full well that photographs, albeit popular in non-mystical societies, are a form of showing the hideousness of a person. In fact, Bono seems to suggest that photographs strip away the true aura of the irises of an enlightened one, leaving red marks on kodak printed paper.

Walking unafraid is a common aspect of new age kabbalah movements as studied by Madonna, Britney Spears and at times, even the late Michael Jackson. It involves deep concentration. With 'clothes you made' Bono makes reference to those who surround themselves with the mystical, but not mythical, positive aura that surrounds those who believe they understand the absolute truth but in reality, don't. This aura is a form of forgery, as the beauty on the inside, the beauty that is the absolute truth begins to fade away when the outside aura takes over. Bono acknowledges that the character in this song, perhaps himself, is beginning to see the effect of faux absolute truth.

In the bridge, Bono explains the most important part of the song: Time. While time is indeed a positive aspect of new mysticism (in fact, without it, we would still have old age mysticism) it is also one that robs absolute truth. Critics of new age mysticism believe that one is not born with absolute truth, but that is a stealthy diversion tactic. Newborns never look before laughing and the also don't take photographs unless forced to by those who have been corrupted. The only true way to remain enlightened is to study new age mysticism in order to avoid the raping of time on one's aura. It takes deep concentration and even deeper study to keep the universal truth in one's soul. Without it, the aura that eventually escapes us and begins to cocoon us providing a faux shroud of mysticism.

It's quite clear that this song is a proponent of new age mystic bullshit as evidenced above.

unicorns-rainbow.jpg

Does someone care to comment on the musical aspects of this song? I'm quite sure it is riddled with evidence of new age mysticism.

I have always loved this song but I think you've made me love it even more now.
grumpydrool.gif

City of Blinding Lights happens to be a direct representative of new age mysticism as I will later prove in my thesis. But first we must all take a closer look at the final lyrics as they stand on the multi-million selling album, "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb".

Made mention in the very first verse is the notion of existentialism. While that is not a clear indication of new age mystic bullshit, it certainly is the beginning of its multiple mentions in the following verse and more importantly, the chorus. In it, the author is in fact searching for "universal truth" by refuting that the more a being grows in the current status of the world, the less he becomes in contact with the absolute and universal truth.

By "people like us" within the second verse of the song, Bono is referring to those deeply involved in new age mysticism. The day-glo eyes line is a further reference to those who can see the truth. Although a neon heart is atypical of societies rich in self-absorption, it is quite clear that Bono is using this allegory rather loosely. A heart cannot be neon, but indeed, neon can have a heart. I believe that this can be an association with the impressiveness of nature, as neon is a natual element. One need not look further than the periodic table to see this fact come to fruition. Furthermore, fireflies are an absolute representation of the Buddhist belief in daoism, as a firefly lights the way for those who wish to be enlightened when in the darkness. The fireflies light our way to universal knowledge and absolute truth.

I believe the third verse, or rather, the rise to the chorus is a direct reference to new age Christianity. "Ready to leave the ground" is a notion that is accepted by Christians of all denominations of the resurrection of Christ, himself a fan of Bono's lyrical structure.

In order to continue with the Christian faith allegories, Bono refers to this mystical city as the "city of blinding lights." The final message is classic in both its religious and ecumenical thrust, reminding us that God loves us all, even the unfaithful. It’s also earnest, emerging from faith that love and reason will see us through troubled times, a modern and rather adulterated view of new age mystic, but nonetheless acceptable.

Laughing before looking has long since been regarded as a form of anti-mysticism. Bono makes sure to note and compel us to not engage in mirth without being fully aware in absolute truth. Similarly, those who study new age mysticism know full well that photographs, albeit popular in non-mystical societies, are a form of showing the hideousness of a person. In fact, Bono seems to suggest that photographs strip away the true aura of the irises of an enlightened one, leaving red marks on kodak printed paper.

Walking unafraid is a common aspect of new age kabbalah movements as studied by Madonna, Britney Spears and at times, even the late Michael Jackson. It involves deep concentration. With 'clothes you made' Bono makes reference to those who surround themselves with the mystical, but not mythical, positive aura that surrounds those who believe they understand the absolute truth but in reality, don't. This aura is a form of forgery, as the beauty on the inside, the beauty that is the absolute truth begins to fade away when the outside aura takes over. Bono acknowledges that the character in this song, perhaps himself, is beginning to see the effect of faux absolute truth.

In the bridge, Bono explains the most important part of the song: Time. While time is indeed a positive aspect of new mysticism (in fact, without it, we would still have old age mysticism) it is also one that robs absolute truth. Critics of new age mysticism believe that one is not born with absolute truth, but that is a stealthy diversion tactic. Newborns never look before laughing and the also don't take photographs unless forced to by those who have been corrupted. The only true way to remain enlightened is to study new age mysticism in order to avoid the raping of time on one's aura. It takes deep concentration and even deeper study to keep the universal truth in one's soul. Without it, the aura that eventually escapes us and begins to cocoon us providing a faux shroud of mysticism.

It's quite clear that this song is a proponent of new age mystic bullshit as evidenced above.

unicorns-rainbow.jpg

Does someone care to comment on the musical aspects of this song? I'm quite sure it is riddled with evidence of new age mysticism.

Excellent post! 5 stars for new age mystic bullshit™!

I request the title of this thread be deleted or changed. There are lots of young people on these boards, it is not U2-fan-like to display such flagrant obscenities likes this.

:sexywink::sexywink::sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom