Is anyone having doubt after hearing "Boots"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I could have said the same thing about "Bomb" but after hearing "Get on Your Boots" I really feel... unhappy. I'm usually one to give new songs a chance, but I don't feel the magic with this one -- it feels like they just threw this together with no direction...

I'm also concerned if it'll be powerful live, Vertigo took various attempts before it was perfected live...

It's not the strongest lead single, but I like it, and I think it will be phenomenal live.

I could have said the same thing about "Bomb" but after hearing "Get on Your Boots" I really feel... unhappy. I'm usually one to give new songs a chance, but I don't feel the magic with this one -- it feels like they just threw this together with no direction...

I'm also concerned if it'll be powerful live, Vertigo took various attempts before it was perfected live...

:yes: i too feel this way...TOTALLY! :sad:

There’s nothing special about the song (although yes, the video did give it a huge boost for me too), but as I keep saying to myself, think of one song: Some Days Are Better than Others.

The album actually sounds a lot like Zooropa. Not sonically or thematically, but in other, smaller ways. Eno-heavy album. Opening with the title track, one that appears to take quite the large dynamic shift halfway through. Long songs. Similar contrasting light/heavy mood and feel. Johnny Cash! New sounds, but distinctively U2. Some poppy, some challenging, some fun, some gloomy. Nothing amazing, but of all U2 albums, this seems to be it's closest cousin in feel and geography.

So, with that in mind, I’m hoping Boots is like Some Days. A comparatively weak and shallow bit of throwaway fun down there somewhere in the second half, but surrounded by a Lemon, a Stay, a First Time etc.

I'm not expecting another Achtung or Joshua Tree, I don't think we'll get another one of those until all commercial pressure is off (if that ever happens), and I absolutely do not want them to re-cover 90s ground, but if they hand us an album that is of the same quality level and with such a unique and interesting feel all the way through it as Zooropa has, you'll have a very, very, very happy camper here.

it feels like they just threw this together with no direction...

Thats a profound thing to say considering Edge said that the title "No Line On the Horizon" symbolizes that they are moving forward with this album but they don't really know what direction they are heading.

Based on the reviews so far, no; "Boots" is not representative of the whole album, and many reviewers have said that it's actually the weakest song on the album. That's OK, though; it's a fun, attention-grabbing song that's meant to make the public aware that U2 has new material coming out soon.

I like GOYB - I like that while it has some elements of "Vertigo", there's a LOT more going on there. The song shows influences from early Costello and more recent Fallout Boy, but also is clearly U2. It shows ambition and an unwillingness to sound ultra-commercial (i.e., a forced pop hit).

I realize that not all fans will like it. But much like "Discotheque" and "The Fly", I believe the song will grow on people over time. "The Fly" did not give any true indications of the brilliance of AB - but it showed U2 was doing something different. It set a nice tone for what was to come. GOYB may be doing the same. "Discotheque" was hated by many non die-hard fans at first, but it's still remembered to an extent and people tend to look on it more favorably now. I feel GOYB may also gain that after a period of time.

Regardless, I am more optimistic because of GOYB. Had U2 created a super catchy song that couldn't help but be a hit, I might have enjoyed their success, but might have wondered about the quality of the album.

I was less excited about the album before "Boots" I already know that its not even close to the best song on the album. I haven't felt this way since Achtung Baby.

"LET ME IN THE SONG!!!"

No, no doubts at all :D...I loved Boots from the first listen...which didn't happen with Vertigo...but I ended up loving Bomb anyways ...

Based on the reviews so far, no; "Boots" is not representative of the whole album, and many reviewers have said that it's actually the weakest song on the album. That's OK, though; it's a fun, attention-grabbing song that's meant to make the public aware that U2 has new material coming out soon.

I'm hanging on to to this line of thought. :up:

Doubt-Streep_l.jpg

"I HAVE DOUBT!"

LOLO at that movie...but seriously, I do...have doubt...

Cause the only part I like about GOYB is "LET ME IN THE SOUND!"

But I must not jump to conclusions, I have yet to hear the album:wink:

Do I have doubt? Only about whether anyone will survive this forum after the album is released.

I predict copious amounts of blood.

I really like the song, and if it is actually the worst song on the album like some are suggesting, then not only do I not have doubt, but I'm more optomistic then even before.

Back
Top Bottom